Question on vics / vtcs

Just got a 2003 Protege5 with the 2.0 naturally aspirated engine and manual trans.

I’m a noob on these. It looks like someone had unplugged the green and white solenoid connectors on the intake, plugged the green one into where the white one was, and left the white connector unplugged. They left the vac line on the solenoid that previously had the green connector, but pulled the vac line off the solenoid that had the white connector and capped the port.

The car runs fine. I just noticed this and wondered why it was done. I’ve attached a pic showing what I mean.

Attachments

• 519D0972-DD2B-423B-861C-2CD33B1086C1.jpeg
    519D0972-DD2B-423B-861C-2CD33B1086C1.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,001
I'll bet his VICS solenoid crapped out so he bypassed it and is using the VTCS solenoid to run the VISC.

I'll look into it tomorrow when I'm sober. Lol

The VTCS solenoid is almost never used.
Your car will run fine except for a bit more pollution when you first start your car when it's cold out.

Do you have codes P1512, P1569, or P1570?

If so, one of these will fix your problem.

I don’t have any codes (on my generic OBDII reader). I will try moving the connectors back to their original positions, and reconnect the vac line and see if any codes show up.

PCB, Are you sure that solenoid part number will work? It is far cheaper than the other part numbers which are listed for the VICS and VTCS, most of them are like $50.

I'm about 98% sure that solenoid will work.
Others have used it.

You can search out that part at Rockauto and click "info" to list different part numbers.

I bought two of them, one for VICS and one for VTCS, and both seem to work fine. I haven't gotten the codes back since installing them.

Reactions: pcb
P2009 info...

You could buy this version...

It appears to be built better with a brass tube connector but I don't think it's worth it.

The full plastic version may not last as long but neither will our cars.

Here's how you convert one valve to the other...

This is just an air filter to keep crap out of the valve.

Back