Question on the AWD system

But as I posted earlier, the AWD version was also slower in the 5-60 MPH rolling start test, as well as the 30-50 MPH and 50-70 MPH tests.

So you agree that the AWD is a worse performer when drag racing, normal acceleration, braking, while being no better in the only objective roadholding/handling available.

But you still contend the AWD provides measurable advantages in dry-weather driving because you've "experienced" it?

Drag racing???? If someone is drag racing a NA CX5 then they REALLY need to reevalute the purpose of purchasing a CX5 lol.

100% of the CX5's I see are family haulers and will never see the extremes of aggressive driving on the street.

Car and Driver recently tested another AWD CX5 and came up with better stats. Skidpad remained .82

0-60 7.9 secs
70-0 braking 169 ft

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a32161895/2020-compact-crossover-comparison/
Unfortunately, that doesn't help with looking at apples-to-apples comparisons of the advantages offered by AWD.

The article I posted compares the AWD and FWD version of the same model year.
Your article is for only the AWD model that is 3 model years newer.
For there to be a relevant baseline comparison, they would also need to test a 2020 FWD model.

Actually you may want to follow that advice as the OP was never asking for the merits of a FWD CX5.
You can't answer the question of whether AWD provides meaningful benefits, unless you have a baseline to compare it against (same model without AWD).

If a FWD version has the same or better performance as the AWD version (in the OPs outlined driving situation), then these supposed AWD "benefits" are meaningless/irrelevant.

Still waiting for all the other members to come argue the other side.:unsure:

Unfortunately, that doesn't help with looking at apples-to-apples comparisons of the advantages offered by AWD.

The article I posted compares the AWD and FWD version of the same model year.
Your article is for only the AWD model that is 3 model years newer.
For there to be a relevant baseline comparison, they would also need to test a 2020 FWD model.

What about variance between cars? That happens. My linked results are just as valid as they ones you chose.

So again if the negligible FULL THROTTLE acceleration is worth a tenth of a second vs a superior drivetrain in ALL road conditions and higher resale and desirability then a FWD is the right choice for that person.

A FWD only SUV is kind of a joke here in the Northeast. Which is why they don't sell in nearly the numbers the AWD variants do.

In Florida/other warm weather states I suppose a FWD is all that's ever really needed. But you end up with less stability anytime it rains.

Drag racing???? If someone is drag racing a NA CX5 then they REALLY need to reevalute the purpose of purchasing a CX5 lol.
You missed the sarcasm there...

Mazdadude attempted to dismiss the fact that the AWD version was slower 0-60, stating that "drag racing is not my driving Style."

I reminded him that the AWD was not only slower while "drag racing", but that it was also slower in several normal real-world acceleration metrics.

So again if the negligible FULL THROTTLE acceleration is worth a tenth of a second vs a superior drivetrain in ALL road conditions and higher resale and desirability then a FWD is the right choice for that person.
Again, the OP was very specific in his question.
The only thing being discussed here is AWD performance in "non-slip/non-rain/non-cold conditions." That's all the OP cares about in this thread.

In Florida/other warm weather states I suppose a FWD is all that's ever really needed. But you end up with less stability anytime it rains.
It appears you are acknowledging my point that there is no meaningful performance advantage of an AWD CX-5 on dry roads.

What about variance between cars? That happens. My linked results are just as valid as they ones you chose.
Incorrect.
Surely you understand that comparing a 2017 model year to a 2020, with over 3 years in between the tests, is far different than testing the same model year just a few weeks apart.
Also, the acceleration testing changed since the old test, so the numbers are NOT comparable.

I'm going to jump back in here. There's no doubt in my mind the advantage of the right AWD system. My 2013 WRX (don't know if they changed the system since then) was a cornering beast. To break the tires loose was nearly impossible at my driving skill levels. Again, the RDX SH-AWD starts sending power to the back wheels and outside rear wheels when various gravitational forces tells it to, like high speed cloverleaf on-ramps - that's going to improve improve almost all driving dynamics.

I just didn't know it Mazda's i-Activ AWD can detect any of the aforementioned spirited driving conditions to start directing power to different wheels?

And, once again, does anyone know if it only powers one front wheel under typical driving?

I'm going to jump back in here. There's no doubt in my mind the advantage of the right AWD system. My 2013 WRX (don't know if they changed the system since then) was a cornering beast. To break the tires loose was nearly impossible at my driving skill levels. Again, the RDX SH-AWD starts sending power to the back wheels and outside rear wheels when various gravitational forces tells it to, like high speed cloverleaf on-ramps - that's going to improve improve almost all driving dynamics.

I just didn't know it Mazda's i-Activ AWD can detect any of the aforementioned spirited driving conditions to start directing power to different wheels?

And, once again, does anyone know if it only powers one front wheel under typical driving?
It is not torque vectoring like the Acura, it simply adjust the amount of torque sent to the rear based on computer sampling

It powers the F/R at a 98/2% split, static, I believe. There are 27 parameters that it monitors 200x per second, and it can send 2%-Full front ad rear lockup, to the rear tires, as those parameters dictate. They include wheel slip, temperature, steering wheel position, g force sensors, inclinometer, wipers on or off, and other things I am not aware of specifically. It is incredibly effective. My past vehicle was 52/48 static split, and could control torque 0-100% by individual tire (JGC, QD2), and the mazda system is quicker to stop spin via power redistribution, although I'm down 80# of torque in the Mazda, to be fair.

More data from mazda engineers:

@hal2

I think you need to reach out to the author of this article and get in touch with Mazda engineer David Coleman.

random said:
Drive spiritedly, and the system enables a lively, playful and predictable dynamic. Drive with absolute care and caution, and your inputs are confidently and precisely transmitted to the road, with no fuss, and no second guessing.

Still waiting for all the other members to come argue the other side.:unsure:

Not as many peopl
You missed the sarcasm there...

Mazdadude attempted to dismiss the fact that the AWD version was slower 0-60, stating that "drag racing is not my driving Style."

I reminded him that the AWD was not only slower while "drag racing", but that it was also slower in several normal real-world acceleration metrics.

All those real world driving metrics are based on full throttle acceleration.
I've yet to smash the gas pedal on either of our AWD CX5's as there is sufficient acceleration at part throttle in 99% of our driving. Actually I correct that, a couple times last year on a backroad in North Carolina we passed a couple trucks, no issue accelerating and unlikely the butt dyno would tell a differance between the tenth of a second acceleration.

So unless someone is putting the pedal to the floor constantly
It powers the F/R at a 98/2% split, static, I believe. There are 27 parameters that it monitors 200x per second, and it can send 2%-Full front ad rear lockup, to the rear tires, as those parameters dictate. They include wheel slip, temperature, steering wheel position, g force sensors, inclinometer, wipers on or off, and other things I am not aware of specifically. It is incredibly effective. My past vehicle was 52/48 static split, and could control torque 0-100% by individual tire (JGC, QD2), and the mazda system is quicker to stop spin via power redistribution, although I'm down 80# of torque in the Mazda, to be fair.

More data from mazda engineers:

Good stuff. Now where are the the Mazda videos on the FWD only CX5 systems??

Not as many peopl

All those real world driving metrics are based on full throttle acceleration.
I've yet to smash the gas pedal on either of our AWD CX5's as there is sufficient acceleration at part throttle in 99% of our driving. Actually I correct that, a couple times last year on a backroad in North Carolina we passed a couple trucks, no issue accelerating and unlikely the butt dyno would tell a differance between the tenth of a second acceleration.

So unless someone is putting the pedal to the floor constantly

Good stuff. Now where are the the Mazda videos on the FWD only CX5 systems??
I mean...it's a FWD system. What is to be said about it? My AWD rear diff got flooded (crossing a stream) on my 2015 and died, effectively turning it FWD. It was horrible and life sucked until Mazda fixed that. Which they did on their dime, flat-out amazingly!

I mean...it's a FWD system. What is to be said about it? My AWD rear diff got flooded (crossing a stream) on my 2015 and died, effectively turning it FWD. It was horrible and life sucked until Mazda fixed that. Which they did on their dime, flat-out amazingly!

That is the point, there is nothing special about the FWD CX5. The AWD system is superior, there is no debate about that.

The AWD system is superior, there is no debate about that.
I'm still waiting for you to provide data/testing that shows how the AWD system is "superior" under the OP's use cases.

If this were the case, why did you acknowledge earlier that "I suppose a FWD is all that's ever really needed" in dry/warm weather conditions?

Now where are the the Mazda videos on the FWD only CX5 systems??
Don't you suppose the Mazda marketing department would spend more time & money making flashy promotional videos in order to entice consumers to spend $1500 more on their CX-5?

It is in companies best interests to sell the higher priced, higher margin products.
This is Marketing 101.

Hi guys,
You might this video enjoyable and relevant.
Champion Rally Car Driver Simon Evans didn't expect much from an SUV, but came away impressed with the Mazda CX-5 AWD [Edit while video has 2019 post date, actual test is on 2013 CX-5 when the i-active AWD was first introduced -- there have been refinements since 2013]

His comments:
"Race Car Feel" "performed amazingly well.."
0-100-0: Acceleration and stopping amazing
Slalom: Car shone
High Speed Cornering: race car feel
Hot Laps: best part of the day. shows ability of car. Throw car around.

Think OP's question about Mazda AWD responding to VERY aggressive driving is answered!!!.

PS: I'm really liking the Ignore Button!

EDIT: Just noticed a version of this video was linked by another poster earlier. Still fun to watch the smile on their faces as the whip this SUV around the race track and throw it into corners. And this is on the 2013 version of the car -- improvements to all aspects have been made since then! Anyone believe you could do that with the FWD version -- Of course not! Edit, it's pretty funny with the one poster on ignore. Can't see his posts, but see replies of others. So I get to guess what crazy stuff he is writing.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for you to provide data/testing that shows how the AWD system is "superior" under the OP's use cases.

If this were the case, why did you acknowledge earlier that "I suppose a FWD is all that's ever really needed" in dry/warm weather conditions?

Don't you suppose the Mazda marketing department would spend more time & money making flashy promotional videos in order to entice consumers to spend $1500 more on their CX-5?

It is in companies best interests to sell the higher priced, higher margin products.
This is Marketing 101.

People keep linking videos and you continue to gloss over them, that is testing on a track.

Again, the AWD drivetrain is superior to the FWD in all types of driving conditions.

Now your claiming Mazda is lying to everyone with their AWD promotional materials??

Your not an AWD fan that much is clear. But FWD has limitations. You can also slap drag radials on a car and claim how much better dry only grip is but that isnt how driving on planet earth is unfortunately and a wide range of weather occurs.

This is very simply solved...my cx5 is awd. My tires wear evenly all around. I didn't rotate them for 10k miles once...wear was even.

Why do you suppose this is? Could it be because awd is sending torque to the rear often? Why would it do that, one wonders?

I would never buy a FWD car when an awd version is available. Better traction, better use of engine power, better cornering potential, less understeer, more tunable for how you want the car balanced. I'd skip fwd all together (except Mitsubishi Mirage). The rie and now prevalence of fwd is due to lower cost of manufacture; plain and simple. People always talking about how Mazda has better driving experience but the appliance crowd has moved in and don't care about that. They care about gimmicks to reduce the already basic workload of driving a 4 wheel car even less. Mazda can't get their rwd platform out quick enough.

Back