Question about connecting dashcam

My wife and I recently bought a 2020 Mazda CX-5. We have a dashcam that we want to connect. In our old vehicle, we connected the dash camera to the cigarette lighter. I've been watching videos on youtube about connecting directly to the fuse box via something called a BlackVue Power Magic Pro. I don't know a lot about this (or about cars in general) but can anyone tell me if this is a safe and reliable method to connect a dash cam? I'm worried about using something that's a bit sketchy and possibly damaging my vehicle.

Mine is in the cig.lighter. Safe as it can be and it turns off when the car is off. Cable goes behind the A pillar covers and under the dashboard. As far as I know the fuse connects is usually if you want to have recording while the car is off, say a parking bump when you are not near the car etc.

I've wired my dashcam to the fuse box in both my Mazda 3 and now CX-5 and it's been safe and had no issues. I've never had a fuse blew or any electrical problems. In the photo you would want to connect to the "F. Outlet 15A" which is an accessory outlet. In short, if you turn on your vehicle and start, the dash cam will power on and start recording. If you turn off your vehicle, the dash cam will shut off.

Aside from your dash cam, you will need a hardwire kit and can be found here.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
You can use any brand you like. The hardwire kit has Mini-usb or Micro-usb, which ever your dash cam currently powers.

Connecting my dash cam to my fuse box was the best decision ever. Less clutter and free from extra wires.

Attachments

• IMG-4864.jpg
    IMG-4864.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 264
If your CX-5 has a Homelink-enabled rearview mirror, you can use something like an Invisicord to tap into the always-available power from the mirror. That's what I did for my dashcam.

A resource for more information can be found at the link below.

If your CX-5 has a Homelink-enabled rearview mirror, you can use something like an Invisicord to tap into the always-available power from the mirror. That's what I did for my dashcam.

A resource for more information can be found at the link below.

I second this. I got the Inviscord for my garmin (so tiny) and its great! Camera fits up behind the Rearview (just right of the windshield dots mask) and the Invisicord pins go in to the instructed power/ground pins. Its not ON always, which I prefer. If you want that feature (like garage/parked incident recording), with Garmin product, you need a special cable hardwired in, and routed...Not what I needed. Good luck!

I second this. I got the Inviscord for my garmin (so tiny) and its great! Camera fits up behind the Rearview (just right of the windshield dots mask) and the Invisicord pins go in to the instructed power/ground pins. Its not ON always, which I prefer. If you want that feature (like garage/parked incident recording), with Garmin product, you need a special cable hardwired in, and routed... not what I needed. Good luck!
You should be able to just plug the positive pin of the invisichord into the constant on pin on the factory harness plug instead if the switched on pin. Shouldn't need a special plug from Garmin.

I've wired my dashcam to the fuse box in both my Mazda 3 and now CX-5 and it's been safe and had no issues. I've never had a fuse blew or any electrical problems. In the photo you would want to connect to the "F. Outlet 15A" which is an accessory outlet. In short, if you turn on your vehicle and start, the dash cam will power on and start recording. If you turn off your vehicle, the dash cam will shut off.

Aside from your dash cam, you will need a hardwire kit and can be found here.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
You can use any brand you like. The hardwire kit has Mini-usb or Micro-usb, which ever your dash cam currently powers.

Connecting my dash cam to my fuse box was the best decision ever. Less clutter and free from extra wires.
Same here and wired my radar detector the same way...No wire mess.

should go micro. got a 3-pack of various size for the radar detector and it needs the smallest. they'll be fragile, but at least they fit!

micro (smallest pins) here as well in my 2018 with the homelink mirror. I did use it for the radar detector but its the same idea for a dashcam.

You should have rear camera as well, a lot of rear end accident these days. You'll need to get hard wire kit for sure.

Has anyone measured the actual power usage of a modern dash cam [in Watts] i.e. what it slurps in from the USB port [5V] when the camera is operating?
This would depends on alot of possible variables [model, resolution, if wirelessly streaming to a remote phone, screen size etc], but the power usage for a base action of daytime recording ~1080p video to a local [micro]SD memory card with the screen off
Was wondering if it averages in the range of single digit Watts or tenths?

its low. check the actual cam you have. they usually publish the default specs.

viofo 129 for example
1. Front 1080p 60fps 1.74W
2.Front+Rear 1080p 30fps 2.89W
3.Parking Mode 5fps Front 1.33W
4.Parking Mode 5fps Front+Rear 2.23W

Last edited:
Thanks @cz5gt for the detailed numbers

Assuming this is sorta representative, I think I was hoping power usage would be lower without the screen on - the 1.74W is ~0.35A [1.74W / 5V] so would hopefully last ~3 hours per 1000mAh of an external battery [was thinking of powering through a small physical size (which means a low capacity) external USB battery to give some 'parking guard' after engine power off]

I was looking at the Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 but didn't see numbers [on it's download nor online manual] nor for the Garmin Dash Cam 47/57/67W [all I saw was "Input voltage From 4.75 to 5.25 Vdc, 1 A" which is not very helpful - Garmin Dash Cam™ 47/57/67W Specification]. I was initially attracted to former due to it's small size [in day to day I don't think I want the screen] but the latter '57' has higher resolution, GPS and, surprising to me, the same volume i.e. 3 cubic inches. Looking at other dash cams, I started to suffer from 'analysis paralysis' when looking at features/reviews etc so I'll knock it on the head for a little [or try too!]

Back