proteged 03.5 msp build thread/blown motor

proteged

:
03.5 MSP
DSC02684.JPGDSC02693.JPGDSC02683.JPGDSC02680.JPGDSC02681.JPG
so i've seen many people saying about putting build threads so i thoght i would throw some out there to. im new to the msp club, previously owned a 01 protege lx first car, smashed it :(, bought a 99 protege, went through a few transmissons, still running strong with 316xxxkms! my daily now and well be my winter car for when the msp is back,
my 03.5 msp was bought in nova scotia, for some random reason i've searched up in down for my production number even searched the vin and i cant find nothing, im almost postive its a true msp becasue i have the papers from when it was new and it says mazda protege speed on it,
but besides this, i bought it with 160,000 kms onto it, great shape bit of rust on hood, came with injen intake, and steedspeed manifold and upgraded motor mounts not sure what kind, i drove it for a week, and it blew some massive holes through the block, but that did not get me down, the amount of time i drove it i drove it alot lol, everynight all night, i love this car, and im building it an driving it untill i cannot anymore
i have pictures for you guys, i popped 2 pistions out of it through the holes in the block with a piece of bent iron
my plans for the car are listed as
PERFORMANCE
-k1 rods
-wiseco pistions
-act street clutch kit
- fidanza flywheel
-FMIC
-hks BOV
-3in custom exhaust
-head port and polish and 3 angle valve job
-welded lsd
-ARP head and main studs
-all new bearings, not sure what kind?
-cometic head gasket
-new wastegate.
-corksport DP, not sure how good these are, input on these would be nice. do they go to j pipe or past it?
others cant think of lol i know there is more, also have more pics.

everything else on car is stock for now, probably well, lower it, i also have a triple pod pillar on the way, boost gauge in my closet, getting a wideband and oil pressure gauge, if anyone has suggestions on what i should do, than please post,

Last edited:
You got a pretty good list for your build. Only thing I can see you are missing is a bigger turbo lol but that's more of a preference than a necessity. Also, Canadian MSP's do not have production numbers.

Keep us updated. I would like to see a % of what MSP's are forged now verses still stock. I am still stock block and turbo at 170,ooo miles, so a built block looks to be in my future if I want to continue to mod the MSP.

ok well do, and yeah, i've been saving some money but christmas just bit into it so i have to wait a bit longer before i start buying. and im not going bigger turbo yet, want to see how the gt25 holds up for me for abit, than maybe next winter do some savings again for gt28, i've seen alot of people buying and using the gt28, and i would like to try one of those, maybe even do some custom mods myself

Last edited:
Don't let anyone stop you. Custom is the new black. Gt28rs makes more than enough to satisfy your needs. Max out the gt2554r first and then get a gt28rs. Good luck......and subbeeddd

lol, yeah i love doing my own custom unique things, use other peoples ideas and join them with others, make my own things, and i plan on seeing how far i can go with the gt25 before i get a gt28r
and outlawster the snowmobile is a 500 indy 97, its one of my fathers, he is selling it, and he has a 2001 polaris 600 xc edge red and yellow
i have got a new block coming in a few days junkyard called and said its out, so once i get it and order the pistions ill get some more pics and other things up, i well also put everything up when its done.

My personal sled is a Polaris 440 Indy, I want to get the Polaris 600 Rush, so awesome of a sled. and its outlawstar ;) lol dont worrie it happens alot actually.

And what pistons are you goign with? Stock ratio?

pistions? well i never really thought about it, whats your opinion for them, i was just going to buy the wiseco pistions from PG

Well I think the PG ones are stock Ratio.

I have 8.8:1 Wiseco's with K1 Long Rods .020 overbore.

yes i was thinking about those ones to, but im trying to avoid getting the 0.20 bore i want to use stock bore so i dont have to spend money on getting a bore. how much does it roughly cost for a bore? i might go that route

if your going higher boost go with 8.5:1, i know i wish i had that. or thicker headgasket, i think the thickest one will bring you around 8.7:1 or something

yes i was thinking about those ones to, but im trying to avoid getting the 0.20 bore i want to use stock bore so i dont have to spend money on getting a bore. how much does it roughly cost for a bore? i might go that route

Well my build in total (for long block, and all parts and 3 angle valve job head(was also fully rebuilt, aka brand new)) was about 5k.

if your going higher boost go with 8.5:1, i know i wish i had that. or thicker headgasket, i think the thickest one will bring you around 8.7:1 or something

i wouldnt recommend that ratio of pistons for what he is looking at doing. id stick closer to stock ratio.

i was doing a bit of reading and what not and im still not sure what im going with for a ratio, still may be stock, but those long rods and wiesco coated pistions on crossover performance is catching my eye, but well see, more pics up soon. anymore feedback is great, negative or postive

thats because u got it from the best. lol
Hands down. The machine shop he uses did a great job. really my oil was spotless after the oil change. (aka the magnetic oil drain plug) Not much on it all.

Now to just get my wireing right :( haha

i was doing a bit of reading and what not and im still not sure what im going with for a ratio, still may be stock, but those long rods and wiesco coated pistions on crossover performance is catching my eye, but well see, more pics up soon. anymore feedback is great, negative or postive

well how much HP you plan? How much boost on a GT28 do you plan? Your end goals will help us help you.

Back