Protege5 Overheated, need help with the repair

If I were you, I would just tear into the engine before spending any money or ordering any parts.

Your engine needs major work or a replacement.

If you can manage to get it apart in preparation for a new head gasket then you're doing OK.

If not, you can plan for a replacement engine or a rebuild and decide how much time, effort, and money you're willing to invest.

I'm 98% your engine is FUBARed but if it's just your time and effort invested, then it's no great loss.

I'm getting mixed up with the other recent thread with a similar problem but he at least has spark.

Your lack of spark is secondary to a blown head gasket.

Don't get in over your head at least financially.
That sucks worse than your time and effort.

Maybe PM him for some pointers.

Or post it here so we can all learn.

I tore into my parts car to pull a piston out and it was a HUGE effort for me, and I'm reasonably handy with wrenches.
I just cut and chopped my way in with no intention or reassembly.
I just wanted a piston out.
I'm thinking about replacing and fixing all the mechanical parts that are for sure bad, and than giving the car to a mechanic for all the electronic stuff. I think that would be cheaper and will definitely eliminate the chances of me massively messing up the electrical part of the car and ruining it even more. Do you think that's a good idea?

I want to at least replace the head gasket and possible get a new head if mine is warped, and than give it to a mechanic to do all the electrical work.

Reactions: pcb
Do you think it is possible for the wires to be damaged during the overheating of the engine? The wires are running right on the engine.

I'm thinking about replacing and fixing all the mechanical parts that are for sure bad, and than giving the car to a mechanic for all the electronic stuff. I think that would be cheaper and will definitely eliminate the chances of me massively messing up the electrical part of the car and ruining it even more. Do you think that's a good idea?

I want to at least replace the head gasket and possible get a new head if mine is warped, and than give it to a mechanic to do all the electrical work.

That sounds like a good approach.

Take your time and stay organized.
Take lots of pictures and take note of every nut and bolt and where it came from.
You want every nut and bolt to be reinstalled where it came from.

You may need to buy some tools to make it happen, but tools are never a waste of money. (unless you never use them, ... I've got a few if those tools. Lol)

You don't want to end up taking your car to a mechanic with a big box of assorted hardware and ask him to finish the job.

Do you think it is possible for the wires to be damaged during the overheating of the engine? The wires are running right on the engine.

It's possible but it's hard to say.
Worry about that later and maybe take it to a professional.

Wiring and electronics is a separate ballgame.

You may need a new ECU? Or who knows?

Back