Protege5 A/T shift problem

I have a 2002 Mazda protege5 with 71000 miles and it runs great if you don't ever want to get out 2nd gear. When it shifts out of 2nd it goes to neutral or what appears to be neutral. I get fault code 762 and rarely 767. I have replaced all 6 shift solenoids with no change at all. I would like to look at what powers the shift solenoids and see if they are getting power to activate. There must be relays to activate these solenoids but where are they. Any help would be much appreciated.

I don't know much about the automatic transmission but I found this...

It looks like there are no relays.
The solenoids appear to be driven directly from the ECU.

Here's a link to the FSM.

I've been reading through the service manual and I think you should inspect/replace your TFT sensor (transmission fluid temperature) and your pressure control valve.

I'm just guessing but I think that either your pressure control valve is sticking or the ECU is getting bad temperature data and not controlling the valve properly.

You can inspect your TFT sensor but you need the factory service manual for the automatic transmission to inspect the valve.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I have already replaced all 6 solenoids including the Pressure Control Valve and it made no difference.

I remember about how people would change their ATF and it would mess up their transmission.
If the fluid had never been changed for many miles and years, the transmission got used to the old oil.

If people had to do work on their transmission they would save the old fluid, filter it, and put it back in after the work was done.

If they wanted to replace their ATF they would only drain off 1 or 2 liters, then top it up with new fluid.
Then they would drive the car for a while to give the transmission time to adjust, then do it again 2-3 more times.

They never got a complete flush but it saved them from transmission issues.

Someone recently ran into transmission issues and ended up swapping in a standard transmission.

I have an update on my 2002 Mazda Protege 5 that only shifts into 1st and 2nd. After I replaced all 6 shift solenoids, I wondered if they were getting the proper activation. I tapped into the wires that go directly to shift solenoid C and D (they had codes PO762 &767) and ran these wires inside the car and attached them to a voltmeter. I took it for a test drive and sure enough they were getting voltage when they should have been off and vice versa. The activation voltage for D was 12 volts as it should be but the activation voltage for C was only 4 volts. I contend that the transmission is good and problem is the PCM (Powertrain Control Module). If any body has another thought that it is something other than the PCM please let me know. I am shopping for a new PCM module. I got a price of $225 from Flagship 1. It supposed to be programmed and ready to plug and play. Does anyone know of other places to get a PCM? I am open to any help suggestions that anyone has. Thank you.

It looks like the PCM & ECU are the same thing.

The PCM is built into the ECU.

What about getting a used PCM from a wrecker or an online wrecker.

Just make sure it's from an automatic.

Any P5 auto PCM should work but if you have a Tiptronic transmission, you will need a later model PCM.

I was told that the replacement PCM has be the exact one and has to be programed to my VIN number. What is a Tiptronic transmission?? I think that Mazda use 2 different transmissions: one had 4 shift solenoid and one had 6 (mine had 6)

Tiptronic was where you could pretend to be driving a manual transmission by just tapping your shifter up and down.

Regular automatic transmission...

Tiptronic automatic transmission...

I'm almost sure that a Tiptronic ECU will still run a regular automatic transmission but a regular ECU will not run a Tiptronic automatic transmission.

That's the only difference between ECU's (or pcm's).

My wiring diagram manual updated for a Tiptronic transmission in 2002.5

Mazda isn't going to make dozens and dozens of different ECUs to run their cars.
It's too much cost.

Just a few ECUs run all our P5's.

Thanks for letting me know what Tiptronic is. My MP5 has the Tiptronic shifter, I just never heard it referred to as Tiptronic. Personally, I like it. It has really come in handy while I am dealing with my problem. When I start off I go through 1st and 2nd and then when it shifts to 3rd or 4th it like goes to neutral. I can then go to the right (I call it manual mode) and put it in 2nd or 3rd, no difference, but better than neutral. I can then take it up to about 50mph, shift it into neutral, and coast down to 30 or so. By that time I will probably have to stop at a light. I would still like the know anyone else that sells MP5 PCMs to get a price comparison. Again, thanks for all your help.

Reactions: pcb
I found this website, that has the ECM's
I figure if you got a used ECM from a 2003 Protege 5 with an automatic transmission, the ECM will work.

It would probably be a lot cheaper.

You can use the part #'s for cross reference.

Look at it this way, if your trans starts to go you can give it a little nudge and tell it what to do :LOL:

I'm kinda biased towards a manual transmission.
When I was deciding what to buy after my last vehicle, the only thing I knew for sure was that I wanted a manual transmission.
I've only ever owned a 5-speed vehicle.

Fortunately, the used P5's at the time were about 50% manual transmission.

The P5 is the perfect car for a manual.

PS... You can bump-start a manual.
It just needs a little nudge. Lol

I remember looking around before I bought my P5.
My dad knew a guy that worked at a dealership and they had a regular automatic Protege come in on trade and just wanted to get rid of it.

It was a very practical car, but it was an econobox that was probably driven by a grandma.
I didn't like it, and I decided I wanted something that I liked.

My P5 that I bought was a year older, with twice the mileage, cost more than $1000 more, and had way more rust.

I'm glad I bought the P5...

It's way funner, and it's standard.

I still love my car.

Back