Pros and cons of EGR delete

505 mani wasn't just some fly by night diy box. Everything was designed on cad and then ran through a digital flow analysis program. The manifolds make power and i can go on all day about how great they are.

alright guys, i stand corrected.
i apologized for the mis use of words....let's not MSF this and move on.

i'm doing a ported manifold removing all the s*** inside and will block off, for ever, the stupid EGR

Yeah, but what about my issue of EGR code even with EGR left plugged in with no exhaust flow? How does it freekin' know??

If the egr boost sensor is not hooked up to a strong enough vacuum source , then the insufficient flow code will always appear around 30-70 miles of driving

@SeR_Cyclops When you say cold start issues, what exactly do you mean?
Dude this thread is hella old. But I’ll explain.

The purpose of the EGR valve is to recycle a small amount of exhaust gasses back into the combustion chamber(s) via the intake manifold - in order to raise cylinder temper which lead to hotter exhaust; thus, warming up the catalyst within a certain amount of time.

Now let’s say you deleted it. The chambers would take a long time to get to the required temperature primarily in open loop (cold start). I’m assuming the fuel injection is drastically increased at cold start but it will have the EGR to help burn it. So without it, it’s like dumping fuel into engine without meaning the demand of air. That leads to rough idling, hesitation upon acceleration, not being able to keep idle.

Of course if you had a built motor big turbo blah blah, you could tune all that out.

Sorry, no offense, but that's not how it works. EGR's function is to reduce cylinder temperatures which limits the amount of NOx emissions produced from combustion. NOx levels increase a lot when cylinder combustion temperatures go above 1600*C/2912*F. Exhaust gas is inert, which means it will not combust. By re-circulating exhaust gas back into the intake manifold, each cylinder will take in less air on the intake stroke because the incoming air is diluted with exhaust gas. The engine then requires less fuel to meet target AFR. When the mixture is ignited, it's a much smaller explosion which creates less heat, lowering NOx. The EGR can also serve to prevent detonation when combustion temperatures can go high enough to pre-ignite the air fuel mixture.

It's very likely the reason @SeR_Cyclops had running issues is that the stock ecu is tuned for a functioning EGR system. If you block it off, the ecu will still run the same fuel map as if the EGR were there. Blocking the EGR alters the airflow going into the engine and unfortunately there's no way to tune the stock ecu's fuel maps.

Back