Pros and cons of EGR delete

:
03.5 msp titanium
Nearing the end of my build and trying to tie up the loose ends, I was planning on deleting the egr with 505' s intake mani but my option is still open, so really, I don't care, just looking for the best choice for my engine.

Any input is good input, what's up?

It's not good and it's not bad, it's a useless thing for emissions reasons. You get a CEL and that's about it.

i have mine deleted and the cold start ups suck....
also every once in a while it will try to die...
i hate it...

i have my egr removed. I have some stumble on cold starts but only when i dont give it enough gas the car idles perfectly. I attribute that more to my 505 mani then my egr not being there.

hmm so what happens when i tell you it did the exact same thing 2 years ago when i had my egr hooked up?

i remember mine stalled out quite a bit when cold starting in sub 0 temps. enough to piss me off lol but if you are in warm climate it may not be bad at all. if its a DD I would say keep it, if its a track hoonigan than ditch the egr valve/pipe and enjoy the weight savings.

i have my egr removed. I have some stumble on cold starts but only when i dont give it enough gas the car idles perfectly. I attribute that more to my 505 mani then my egr not being there.

This is because of the EGR gone. My car use to do the same thing, this summer I installed the EGR back like it should have been it fixed all of the cold start issues.

canadian egr/ throttle body cooling lines bypassed no issues..
and the climate here is crazy i could swear its spring gotta love Cali

My rotting corpse of a P5 currently has a EGR plugged in, but not connected to the intake mani or exhaust stream.
Insufficient EGR flow is one of the recurring codes I am regularly chasing to cure my CELs and get past Massachusetts inspection.
EGR cleaning was my 1st ever DIY car project, almost 6 or 7 years ago. When the code showed up 3 or 4 years later, I got a new EGR from Mazdaspeed Motorsports and just swapped the plug and left it hanging open in the engine bay.

I wish I could understand how it even knows it's not seeing flow. According to one mechanic I previously visited, there isn't even anything in the EGR that can tell if there is or isn't any flow. It can only tell if it's open or closed and that's it. My hypothesis is that the ECU interprets the lack of any change in engine parameters when it is opening and closing the valve and throws an EGR code by default.

I own a 505 mani (black) with the EGR deleted and it's still in the shipping box. It was intended to go in along with the rest of my semi-complete turbo build.
I'm sure the years of running in a poor state of tune haven't helped with my oil burning (has a head swap) and CEL issues.
I recently replaced the 1st O2 sensor and TPS to cure those CELs, but the EGR issue remains a headache.

In other EGR news, my wife's '08 CX-7 with almost 58,000 miles is now occasionally throwing the EGR code too!
I'm planning to clean it and maybe even snake the EGR tube in case it's totally gummed up.

changing gears...
i've heard of these 505zoom manifolds...
they seem pretty "fake" for a lack of a better word...

i mean, it is just like a square box..
how do they perform?

how do they seem "fake". Go to his threads and look at the dyno sheet yourself or ask anyone who has one. Better yet, ask him yourself. I have one installed but Im waiting on my replacement wideband to come so I can tune my car again since installing it. Lots of time and thought went into making them, the initial design has been revised a couple of times for better performance and fitment. It speaks for itself and anyone with one will tell you the same thing. I have done two pulls with this manifold on and there is definitely a big difference over the stock or 626 manifold. Im not talking about some imaginary "butt dyno" result either. Im saying I was shocked at how the car pulled after installing it. Several others have had the same response. For it to just be a fake square box, it has to be doing something if it has nothing but positive feedback. and to top it all off, 2 well built protege owners have them on their cars, BrainMP5T to name one of them. So, looking at the amount of detail that went into Brian's p5, I highly doubt he would just throw some "square box" in his engine bay. By the way, Im not mad if this seems like it. Just making a point

Last edited:
whoa, i knew it was the wrong choice of words!
lol

i'm sorry, i didn't mean it to call it "FAKE" it was more like...very DYI-ish? i don't know how to put it....i hope you understand.
i see your point and i'm glad the part has so much support behind it.
i meant no disrespect

how do they seem "fake". Go to his threads and look at the dyno sheet yourself or ask anyone who has one. Better yet, ask him yourself. I have one installed but Im waiting on my replacement wideband to come so I can tune my car again since installing it. Lots of time and thought went into making them, the initial design has been revised a couple of times for better performance and fitment. It speaks for itself and anyone with one will tell you the same thing. I have done two pulls with this manifold on and there is definitely a big difference over the stock or 626 manifold. Im not talking about some imaginary "butt dyno" result either. Im saying I was shocked at how the car pulled after installing it. Several others have had the same response. For it to just be a fake square box, it has to be doing something if it has nothing but positive feedback. and to top it all off, 2 well built protege owners have them on their cars, BrainMP5T to name one of them. So, looking at the amount of detail that went into Brian's p5, I highly doubt he would just throw some "square box" in his engine bay. By the way, Im not mad if this seems like it. Just making a point

understood, like I said Im not mad or anything..lol. You should jump on the next group buy when progress starts being made again (drive2)

Back