Problem with new SD card (maps)

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Bought a SD card off eBay like many ; the person selling has indicated a large number of folks bought from him. After driving approx. 70 odd miles (I think) put it in my PC and booted up the Mazda toolbox. It correctly recognized the card, my vehicle VIN, etc. But in the default page (home) says I have 1 available update. Other options are more about buying a 3 year subscription, etc. I bought https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) Also the map version says some date in 2018.

Not sure I follow. Can you please help?

Bought a SD card off eBay like many ; the person selling has indicated a large number of folks bought from him. After driving approx. 70 odd miles (I think) put it in my PC and booted up the Mazda toolbox. It correctly recognized the card, my vehicle VIN, etc. But in the default page (home) says I have 1 available update. Other options are more about buying a 3 year subscription, etc. I bought https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) Also the map version says some date in 2018.

I was one of the first who bought the TD2K-66-EZ1 for the 2021's from Navkings on Ebay. Card itself works fine, however when I insert it into my PC card reader Mazda Toolbox will not recognize it, I keep getting message to insert card. Tried to contact Navkings twice, once through Ebay, and once directly and they have not responded. Very disappointed with them. When I bought mine, I'm almost sure the description included three free map updates from Mazda. Would like to know why Mazda Toolbox will not recognize my card.....have driven several hundred miles with it.

I'm not sure but I believe Mazda Toolbox is just telling you that you have one update available, as in a newer map then is what currently on your SD card. Once I updated my SD card via Mazda Toolbox & reran to check for updates, it told me there no more updates, I had the most current maps. It also gave me my 3 year expiration date which was 3 years from my purchase date of the vehicle. My 2019 GTR came standard with the SD Nav card.

I was one of the first who bought the TD2K-66-EZ1 for the 2021's from Navkings on Ebay. Card itself works fine, however when I insert it into my PC card reader Mazda Toolbox will not recognize it, I keep getting message to insert card. Tried to contact Navkings twice, once through Ebay, and once directly and they have not responded. Very disappointed with them. When I bought mine, I'm almost sure the description included three free map updates from Mazda. Would like to know why Mazda Toolbox will not recognize my card.....have driven several hundred miles with it.
My brother had similar issues with his 3rd party cards he purchased for his Mazda 6 from 2 different vendors on Amazon. The first didn't work but they refunded his money. The second worked fine.

Exactly what I thought too - but on the left side where they detail things out or under settings, etc. it says map expiry date as xx.2018. Anyways, when I contacted Mazda Corporate this is what they told me after I told them I bought from dealer. However, as these people who answer are all different not sure if true. The VIN number ties to the original SD card. A new SD card once tied to the same VIN will no more work even if the new SD card officially offers 3 years map updates since that new SD card is meant for new cars only. If I want 3 more years I must purchase the same thru Mazda toolbox only.
I asked assuming its a new car and new SD card and after around 200 miles stops working and dealer determines its SD card problem and issues me a new card. He said Toolbox and Mazda cloud servers will recognize it and continue offering the remainder but against the new SD card.
I asked why does Mazda sell then a new card for +$300? He said because its for new cars or cars which never has navigation but need one.
He explained to me the entire process of updates changed sometime back last year to tackle the significant number of counterfeit SD cards in the market.

Effectively, once your car has a navigation via SD card and the VIN gets registered with Mazda the only option is to buy upgrades thru Toolbox.

Did you try to click on the "1 update available" to see what happens? The map version being 2018 just means that it is a old version. My latest current version is Sept 2020.

Did you try to click on the "1 update available" to see what happens? The map version being 2018 just means that it is a old version. My latest current version is Sept 2020.
I did and after updating got back to the same default screen. Said I have 1 update and my maps expired on August 2018.

I did and after updating got back to the same default screen. Said I have 1 update and my maps expired on August 2018.
Out of curiosity, was there ever a previous Nav SD card tied to your VIN? Others have inquired that once their original SD card expired after 36 months could they purchase a 3rd party supplied card and restart the 36 month clock.

I would expect if I had a vehicle which never had an SD card & had said vehicle for 35 months, purchased an SD card from a Mazda dealer, that I would get 36 months of updates once the SD syncs to the VIN, not from the in-service date of the vehicle.

I'm sure there are bogus counterfeit SD cards being sold out there but many are also older never used cards from legitimate sources. Both my 2019 GTR's came standard with the SD card which the dealer had inserted prior to delivery so no issues. Others have said the dealer "forgot" to insert the factory supplied SD card and had to have one provided to them.

I can't imagine a dealer has to dispose of their inventory of SD cards with a given map version & order new cards because Mazda released a new map version rendering the previous stock "old". An "old" never used card from a legitimate source should be as valid as one purchased from a dealer.

Yes - as I stated I had SD card, which expired. Bought this expecting it'll work and give me 3 years. Nada.

I think that loophole was closed.
Otherwise everybody would get free updates for 40 usd ebay purchase every 3 years or so.

My new 2021 CX5 GTR needs a navigation card. What number and where to purchase? Not dealer.

Thank you so much Ed

Back