Preemptive Rust proofing and prevention

I had my 2018 CX5 done with Krown shortly after purchasing the vehicle. At the local Krown dealer they gave me the option of drilling holes, noting that if they didn't they wouldn't be able to successfully treat all areas of the vehicle. In total four holes where drilled - two around the lift gate and two at the front quarter panels. The prices (139.99 for a medium SUV) here in Ontario is posted on the Krown website and is the same for all dealers. Often they may have a coupon on the website for $10-$20 off.

Wade

I can't rave enough about Krown - its always hard watching them drill into your door handles and trunk, but at least they cover them up with those little sealers and you KNOW your car is good to go from a no-rust standpoint!

I live even further north-east, where the crap they use on roads during winter months is damn acid. Everything rusts here, even plastics... It's a norm here to treat your car with rust-proofing annually. For these who care.

Last 2 cars that I purchased new - both were treated with a 10-years Tectyl stuff. Expensive, but you do it only once. Can't really make any comments on how effective it was, as I sold the first car after 5 years of ownership and I'm getting really fed up with the second one - which bring me directly to the point. The unfortunate reality is that today's cars have pretty high corrosion resistance standards to begin with and even if it becomes an issue - you will most likely get bored and change cars waaay before this point. Also, if you*ll be trading your car in for a new one - dealerships really don't give a sh@t. They only look at the year, millage, trim level and accidents history - basically they only care about the amount they can re-sell it for. So all the efforts that you've been putting in to keep her in top shape are next to worthless.

Does anyone know of a place in Massachusetts / New England that would apply such a thing as Fluid Film? Do they have to drill holes for that similar to Krown? Seems like hole drilling would void your warranty? Thanks in advance.

Unlike Krown, I don't think anyone has a business undercoating with fluid film. You might want to call local repair shops and ask them if the would undercoat your car with FF and what they would charge. A lot of shops have spray guns.

Before having your car undercoated, do your research. Waxoyl may be a rubberized coating. Ruberized coatings promote rust by trapping moisture between the metal and the coating.

Check out Corrosion Free. It is less widely available than Krown but in indepedent testing had better results, they do not swell the seals and have a better warranty against corrosion than Krown. The only down side for me is that it was a bit hard to find a Corrosion Free retailer, where has there are Krown retailers about everywhere where I live.

Before having your car undercoated, do your research. Waxoyl may be a rubberized coating. Ruberized coatings promote rust by trapping moisture between the metal and the coating.
Correct, and I plan to avoid those. I would rather have to apply often than deal with that rubberized stuff. I have seen some horror stories on YouTube. The lighter liquid sprays that wear off seem to do a lot better for the life of the car. Obviously some rust will happen but after the 6 year corrision warranty with Mazda I want to still be protected.

Back