PPF and Ceramic quote

bronzeglide

2021 CX-5 Signature
I got a quote getting ppf and ceramic on our cx5. What do you all think of these prices? The ppf is custom cut at the shop. They use xpel ppf. Thank you.

Single Stage Paint Correction $1,000.00

The Single Stage Paint Correction is equivalent to a one step polish. While the service can provide different results for many different vehicle finishes (Example: Softer paint= 50%-80% defect removal, Harder Paint= 40%-60% defect removal) the one thing that is common across the board is it will. always enhance your vehicles paint clarity and gloss levels. Again, this is not the perfect paint correction service for defect removal, but it will enhance your paints appearance. Package include: • Full Cleaning of the Cars Exterior and Interior using our safe cleaning methods to avoid additional paint defects with full decontamination. • Single Stage Correction Polish using the right tools and polish combination for your individual vehicles finish. • Application of the highest-grade Sealant to help protect your vehicles new enhanced finish. For a more durable protection with higher gloss levels we recommend adding one of our Ceramic Coating Packages.

Xpel Paint Protection Film $2,099.00

THE INFERIOR PAINT PROTECTION OPTION Installing Paint Protection Film to the front end of your vehicle has become a Must Have today for anyone who cares about protecting and preserving their cars paint from harmful rock chips and debris from the everyday driving elements. When it comes to applying the Paint Protection Film (Clear Bra), there is a large amount of precision and attention to detail to ensure that the film is virtually undetectable. At Simple Details we specialize in utilizing the proper installation methods which also includes wrapping edges when possible to increase durability. Whether you choose to use our Crystal-Clear Ultimate Film or our Satin/Matte finish film, each of them come with Hydrophobic, Self-Healing and anti-yellowing properties with a full 10-year warranty. If you are looking for the Ultimate in paint protection also consider adding our “Ceramic Coatings” on top of the Paint Protection Film to add that additional layer of protection.

Full Front End Package Premium

Ceramic Coating Package $2,000.00

• Full Cleaning of the Cars Exterior and Interior using our safe cleaning methods to avoid additional paint defects with full decontamination. • Single Layer of Kamikaze ISM Coating or 2 Layers of Gyeon Mohs on exterior painted surfaces. • Single Layer of Kamikaze ISM Coating or Gyeon Trim on and Exterior plastic trim. • 2 Layers of Kamikaze Stance or Gyeon Rim on Wheels and brake calipers • Fabric coating on interior Carpets and Mats • Leather coating on interior leather • Windshield Coating of Gyeon View

Subtotal $5,099.00
Sales Tax $125.94
Total $5,224.94

Attachments

• 20201128_164635.jpg
    20201128_164635.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 227
Take this for what it’s worth...
$5k for paint protection on a $35k car. That’s a 15% add-on. Yeah, we all get that pit in our stomach at the first few tiny stone chips or the finish marring from bird poop.
You have to decide what works best for you. The prices do seem in the ballpark (depends on the area +/-) but the layers of expense do add up.
I did the paint prep myself and used a roll of 3M PPF for just the front clip, rear bumper edge by the trunk, and the lower portions of the doors and fenders. Still was about $500. I wash and wax regularly. In the end, it’s a car. It’s going to get dings no matter what.

I don't feel these addons are worth the money, at all. Plus, the PPF will also show wear over time. I'd just apply a good coat of wax 2-4x a year and save your $5,000.

I did it on my CX-9. I ended up paying about 4K for the paint correction, 5 year ceramic coating and the PPF on the front end. Honestly, the PPF is worth it. It will not show wear over time. Nicks that develop will actually "heal" by themselves if left in the sun.

The ceramic coating, I don't really think it was worth it. I live in the south and wonder if the heat and sun just are too hard on cars. My coating was done 2 years ago and honestly, it pretty much gone. We ended up purchasing some liquid wax stuff for my sons car ($20) and it looks great and lasts 3-6 months.

I get full front on all my cars for about $1,800 at a very good shop. Years later I love looking at my near new looking bumper/hood/fenders. Trust me, if you just get the partial from you'll be kicking yourself a year from now. To me it's not about 'wont get my money back on resale', it's about having a newer looking car 3 years from now

While I do support ceramic coatings and PPF.... I also work as a total loss rep for a major insurance company. If you do this, and for some reason your vehicle gets totaled, do not expect reimbursement for this. This is the same across multiple insurance companies as they pay based on market value. This would be considered preferential. There may be a special endorsement/coverage you can purchase for aftermarket items. I’ve had the argument that we should pay it in my opinion at least some, but it’s just not coverable in total loss scenarios.

Interesting. While not a total loss, when my car was damaged State Farm said that my insurance was there to put it back to pre-accident condition, which included putting on the paint protection film that was on there before the accident also

Yes you are correct. In repairable scenarios they will have to put the vehicle in pre loss condition including PPF. In total loss scenarios they just owe actual cash value via market driven evaluation. Aftermarket items which include PPF, are considered preferential. Now sometimes aftermarket items do add value however it’s considered value in the market not what you paid for it. Consider it as two identical used cars side by side for sale at dealer, everything is identical except the PPF. How much is the average consumer going to pay for the vehicle that has the PPF over the one that doesn’t. While you paid 5k to get all of that done, the average consumer may only be willing to pay a few hundred more for the one with PPF vs none. That is the market. This is only cautionary and something to consider, could never happen. But I’ve had this call before and trust me I hate to be the person to explain it but have to.

I got a quote getting ppf and ceramic on our cx5. What do you all think of these prices? The ppf is custom cut at the shop. They use xpel ppf. Thank you.

The Single Stage Paint Correction is equivalent to a one step polish. While the service can provide different results for many different vehicle finishes (Example: Softer paint= 50%-80% defect removal, Harder Paint= 40%-60% defect removal) the one thing that is common across the board is it will. always enhance your vehicles paint clarity and gloss levels. Again, this is not the perfect paint correction service for defect removal, but it will enhance your paints appearance. Package include: • Full Cleaning of the Cars Exterior and Interior using our safe cleaning methods to avoid additional paint defects with full decontamination. • Single Stage Correction Polish using the right tools and polish combination for your individual vehicles finish. • Application of the highest-grade Sealant to help protect your vehicles new enhanced finish. For a more durable protection with higher gloss levels we recommend adding one of our Ceramic Coating Packages.

THE INFERIOR PAINT PROTECTION OPTION Installing Paint Protection Film to the front end of your vehicle has become a Must Have today for anyone who cares about protecting and preserving their cars paint from harmful rock chips and debris from the everyday driving elements. When it comes to applying the Paint Protection Film (Clear Bra), there is a large amount of precision and attention to detail to ensure that the film is virtually undetectable. At Simple Details we specialize in utilizing the proper installation methods which also includes wrapping edges when possible to increase durability. Whether you choose to use our Crystal-Clear Ultimate Film or our Satin/Matte finish film, each of them come with Hydrophobic, Self-Healing and anti-yellowing properties with a full 10-year warranty. If you are looking for the Ultimate in paint protection also consider adding our “Ceramic Coatings” on top of the Paint Protection Film to add that additional layer of protection.

Full Front End Package Premium

• Full Cleaning of the Cars Exterior and Interior using our safe cleaning methods to avoid additional paint defects with full decontamination. • Single Layer of Kamikaze ISM Coating or 2 Layers of Gyeon Mohs on exterior painted surfaces. • Single Layer of Kamikaze ISM Coating or Gyeon Trim on and Exterior plastic trim. • 2 Layers of Kamikaze Stance or Gyeon Rim on Wheels and brake calipers • Fabric coating on interior Carpets and Mats • Leather coating on interior leather • Windshield Coating of Gyeon View

Subtotal $5,099.00
Sales Tax $125.94
Total $5,224.94

This is the site you're using, right? https://simpledetailsva.com/car-detailing-services/paint-protection-film-clear-bra-wrap/

Not sure why, but under Xpel Paint Protection Film in your post, it says "THE INFERIOR PAINT PROTECTION OPTION", instead of "SUPERIOR" as it is written on the website.

Anyway, IMO I would get a quote from an independent professional detailer for paint correction. These detailers will usually want to see the car in person in order to give you an idea of how much work they would need to do. Given that it's a brand new car, there likely won't be much to fix, so paint correction might end up being pretty minimal, and cost might be a lot cheaper. Based on the description on the website, it sounds like all they do for "paint correction" is do a set number of passes with a polish, regardless of the condition of the paint. I would not be happy with 50-80% or 40-60% defect removal if I'm paying for a paint correction - I want as close to 100% as possible, especially if I'm going to be "locking in" the finish with PPF and/or ceramic coating.

The price for PPF seems fair to me, if they are doing full hood, bumper, fenders, and side mirror caps. Bonus if they also do the headlights, grille emblem and chrome trim. The fact that they custom cut for the vehicle would be worth the premium to me, but again, only if it's for whole panels, not partial coverage.

Ceramic coating prices are hard to quantify as you could DIY everything yourself with consumer grade products. The products themselves are fractions of the quoted price, but essentially when you pay someone to apply a coating like this, you're paying for their experience in handling the products and their time (and to a lesser degree, their warranty). $2k seems a little on the high side, but they are doing the interior, exterior, wheels and brake calipers.

This is the site you're using, right? https://simpledetailsva.com/car-detailing-services/paint-protection-film-clear-bra-wrap/

Not sure why, but under Xpel Paint Protection Film in your post, it says "THE INFERIOR PAINT PROTECTION OPTION", instead of "SUPERIOR" as it is written on the website.

Anyway, IMO I would get a quote from an independent professional detailer for paint correction. These detailers will usually want to see the car in person in order to give you an idea of how much work they would need to do. Given that it's a brand new car, there likely won't be much to fix, so paint correction might end up being pretty minimal, and cost might be a lot cheaper. Based on the description on the website, it sounds like all they do for "paint correction" is do a set number of passes with a polish, regardless of the condition of the paint. I would not be happy with 50-80% or 40-60% defect removal if I'm paying for a paint correction - I want as close to 100% as possible, especially if I'm going to be "locking in" the finish with PPF and/or ceramic coating.

The price for PPF seems fair to me, if they are doing full hood, bumper, fenders, and side mirror caps. Bonus if they also do the headlights, grille emblem and chrome trim. The fact that they custom cut for the vehicle would be worth the premium to me, but again, only if it's for whole panels, not partial coverage.

Ceramic coating prices are hard to quantify as you could DIY everything yourself with consumer grade products. The products themselves are fractions of the quoted price, but essentially when you pay someone to apply a coating like this, you're paying for their experience in handling the products and their time (and to a lesser degree, their warranty). $2k seems a little on the high side, but they are doing the interior, exterior, wheels and brake calipers.
Thanks for the detailed reply! Yes, inferior" was a direct copy and paste from the email quote they sent me. I did have the car there and they looked it over. Really I don't think that I need any paint correction, but they said the ceramic WILL enhance imperfections from the factory and sitting between there and the dealer, etc.

I asked about not doing the ceramic on the inside and that would only save $400 which I though it would be more. I also don't think I need ceramic on anything but the paint.

Their shop is extremely nice and very clean!

Thanks for the detailed reply! Yes, inferior" was a direct copy and paste from the email quote they sent me. I did have the car there and they looked it over. Really I don't think that I need any paint correction, but they said the ceramic WILL enhance imperfections from the factory and sitting between there and the dealer, etc.

I asked about not doing the ceramic on the inside and that would only save $400 which I though it would be more. I also don't think I need ceramic on anything but the paint.

Their shop is extremely nice and very clean!

That's good news about the shop condition. A clean workplace is a good indicator that they take pride in their work. IMO it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion on the paint correction.

Personally I would skip out on the ceramic coating and just apply a paste wax or a sealant twice a year. But that's just me.

Subtotal $5,099.00
Sales Tax $125.94
Total $5,224.94
You'd be insane to spend this kind of money on a ~$35K grocery-getter Mazda CX-5.
You absolutely should not spend $3K on the paint correction or ceramic coating.

The front end PPF could be worth doing, but definitely not for $2100.
I wouldn't spend more than about $750.

Besides the PPF, cleaning and protecting the vehicle isn't rocket science.
Buy some high quality products from Autogeek and do it yourself.
Instead of ceramic, there are tons of quality paint sealants on the market to choose from.
I use the Sonax Polymer Net Shield (PNS) and Brilliant Shine Detailer (BSD) pair.

You'd be insane to spend this kind of money on a ~$35K grocery-getter Mazda CX-5.
You absolutely should not spend $3K on the paint correction or ceramic coating.

The front end PPF could be worth doing, but definitely not for $2100.
I wouldn't spend more than about $750.

Besides the PPF, cleaning and protecting the vehicle isn't rocket science.
Buy some high quality products from Autogeek and do it yourself.
Instead of ceramic, there are tons of quality paint sealants on the market to choose from.
I use the Sonax Polymer Net Shield (PNS) and Brilliant Shine Detailer (BSD) pair.

Just a suggestion.. you can make the same point by saying "I would not spend this kind of money..." or "I would not spend...", like you did when you mentioned the PPF. Saying "you should do this" can be easily misinterpreted and cause confusion.

IMO, and based on quotes I received when I was shopping for PPF, $750 is about right for partial PPF coverage with a pre-cut kit. Prices go up with custom cut kits and full hood/fender coverage as the edges are much cleaner and more material is used. Brand will also affect pricing - I believe Xpel is more expensive than 3M.

Personally I would also go with a sealant. I'll likely be trying Polymer Net Shield once I run out of the current wax I'm using. I use BSD as a topper from time to time and I love it.

Personally I would also go with a sealant. I'll likely be trying Polymer Net Shield once I run out of the current wax I'm using. I use BSD as a topper from time to time and I love it.
I love the ease of application of these two Sonax products...I only apply PNS twice a year (spring and fall) and it can be applied to all surfaces (paint, glass, trim).

One tip that I found when using BSD...
Get rid of the spray bottle it comes in and use a "Flairosol" spray bottle instead.
BSD is extremely thick and the original bottle does a really bad job of atomizing the product.
The Flairosol bottle creates an extremely fine mist, which helps immensely with applying.

I love the ease of application of these two Sonax products...I only apply PNS twice a year (spring and fall) and it can be applied to all surfaces (paint, glass, trim).

One tip that I found when using BSD...
Get rid of the spray bottle it comes in and use a "Flairosol" spray bottle instead.
BSD is extremely thick and the original bottle does a really bad job of atomizing the product.
The Flairosol bottle creates an extremely fine mist, which helps immensely with applying.

That's a great tip regarding the BSD application. I bought a bottle once and the BSD didn't spray well. Now I have a 5L jug, and I just pour it into a bottle with an old CarPro sprayer. Works much, much better.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I received a couple of quotes from two other places.

2. Full Front - Full Front Bumper, Full Hood (Edges Wrapped), Full Fenders, Mirror Caps, "A" Pillars & Headlights - $2,095

We can add XPEL Fusion Plus Ceramic Coating for Package 2 or 3 for an additional $900, Stand-alone- $1,495 $2,900

Another shop that uses ceramic pro Kavaca. They are $1950 for the full front ppf and I think 700 for ceramic pro ceramic. This shop also has a 25% off deal up till Christmas. I'll have to research the Kavaca stuff.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I received a couple of quotes from two other places.

2. Full Front - Full Front Bumper, Full Hood (Edges Wrapped), Full Fenders, Mirror Caps, "A" Pillars & Headlights
Unless you have money to burn, you don't need the "full front" coverage.
This isn't a high dollar, exotic, or rare car.

I would get a price on just the full front bumper and hood.
This will protect you from about 95% of real-world dings/chips.

I think its funny that the company markets their $3K treatment as "the inferior paint protection" :)

For $5K I'd let you key one of my doors, or the hood.

I think its funny that the company markets their $3K treatment as "the inferior paint protection" :)

For $5K I'd let you key one of my doors, or the hood.
I assumed that was a typo! A very big typo that you wouldn't want to be there!

I assumed that was a typo! A very big typo that you wouldn't want to be there!
Well their preferred solution is $5K, so I took it literally, they are calling it inferior. Right after that they say you should finish with ceramic treatment for an additional $2K.

Back