Power Sliding Doors

I like it without a full power sliding door.

I figured if you put power into it, you no longer have control
as to how quickly you can close the door. The speed of the door sliding
will now be relatively extremely.

Where we are, in dead of winter cold, we want to open sliding door, get in
and close sliding door -- as quickly as possible.

I assume there is an override. like if we pull the handle to close it it will
switch to manual mode. But then the door is now 'connected' to the gears
of the power door system. so it will not be as slick and light as it is at present.

I looked at a 1999 Sienna XLE with one broken power sliding door. It still opens manually but it's not very easy to use. I wonder how much it would cost to fix.

Hi Guys, I have just got a 2005 (new shape) Mazda Premacy (JDM Mazda 5).
It's the 20S model with electric doors. If you want any info about how they work, or what the motors etc look like, let me know.
Oh and these are the electric doors that fully open and close. Controls are also on the dash and remote (smart key)

Last edited:
I know that the European and Japanese (Premacy) Mazda5's come with powered sliding rear doors. Unfortunately, to keep costs down here in the USA the feature was deleted - not even a paid option :-(

I am investigating whether the parts can be obtained and whether the loom is equipped to electically operate the doors on US models. They seem to have similar bodyshells, although engine and trim levels are different than US models (for a start they have 2 petroleum and 1 diesel engine choice).

From what I gather so far, the major differences are two motors per door, 1 regulator per door (anti-trap sensing?) and a dashboard switch. Total cost in the UK 500GBP (or about $7-800). Also the European sliding doors operate on the keyfob, so a keyfob and possibly ECU might be required.

Does anyone else have an interest or any information about retro-fitting this option to US models?

Thanks,

Tim (newbie).
Yes I am interested. I just purchased a 2017 Mazda5. It is for my daughter who is in a wheelchair. We got the lift and hand controls installed. Now we need to install something to open and close the door. We have tried a few things but concluded that best is to convert to electric. Can that be done? The car was made in Japan.

I'm curious about this as well...
I just purchased a 2017 Mazda5. I need to change the manual sliding door to electric so my daughter can easily open the door to get her wheelchair in and out. The car was made in Japan. Is it possible to convert?

I just purchased a 2017 Mazda5. I need to change the manual sliding door to electric so my daughter can easily open the door to get her wheelchair in and out. The car was made in Japan. Is it possible to convert?
Try a dressing stick. I cut one down and added a foam handle to the end. Works fine

Youtube "Mazda 5 wheelchair" to find some companies that offer aftermarket retrofit solutions. It won't be as pretty as OEM kit (seem unable to find) but it'll serve the purpose. Without going into large van territory, the Mazda 5 body/size is actually fantastic car for paraplegic mobility.

Remote hatch open/close.

Last edited:
Back