Power Sliding Doors

nglshmn

:
2009 Mazda 5, Grand Touring
I know that the European and Japanese (Premacy) Mazda5's come with powered sliding rear doors. Unfortunately, to keep costs down here in the USA the feature was deleted - not even a paid option :-(

I am investigating whether the parts can be obtained and whether the loom is equipped to electically operate the doors on US models. They seem to have similar bodyshells, although engine and trim levels are different than US models (for a start they have 2 petroleum and 1 diesel engine choice).

From what I gather so far, the major differences are two motors per door, 1 regulator per door (anti-trap sensing?) and a dashboard switch. Total cost in the UK 500GBP (or about $7-800). Also the European sliding doors operate on the keyfob, so a keyfob and possibly ECU might be required.

Does anyone else have an interest or any information about retro-fitting this option to US models?

Thanks,

Tim (newbie).

I know that the European and Japanese (Premacy) Mazda5's come with powered sliding rear doors. Unfortunately, to keep costs down here in the USA the feature was deleted - not even a paid option :-(

I am investigating whether the parts can be obtained and whether the loom is equipped to electically operate the doors on US models. They seem to have similar bodyshells, although engine and trim levels are different than US models (for a start they have 2 petroleum and 1 diesel engine choice).

From what I gather so far, the major differences are two motors per door, 1 regulator per door (anti-trap sensing?) and a dashboard switch. Total cost in the UK 500GBP (or about $7-800). Also the European sliding doors operate on the keyfob, so a keyfob and possibly ECU might be required.

Does anyone else have an interest or any information about retro-fitting this option to US models?

Thanks,

Tim (newbie).

I'm curious about this as well...

I think the last thing our vehicles need is more electonics and more weight. I'd be interested to see how much those motors weigh.

To me, something like that is just one more thing that can break.

Spend the money on leather seats.

I wonder....I was installing Dynomat and new speakers in my car today and noticed, on both sides of the car, there is a harness with nothing connected to them. right next to the doors, near a spot which looks like it could house a motor of some sort....could it be, just like the fogs lights, that our 5s are prewired for automatic sliding doors too? I'll investigate this further tomorrow when I put the panels back on.

I wonder....I was installing Dynomat and new speakers in my car today and noticed, on both sides of the car, there is a harness with nothing connected to them. right next to the doors, near a spot which looks like it could house a motor of some sort....could it be, just like the fogs lights, that our 5s are prewired for automatic sliding doors too? I'll investigate this further tomorrow when I put the panels back on.

That's probably what its for...

nothing new really....just an unattached harness...I guess it could be for the motor or something...but then you would still have to run a cable or something to the door and a few other things to unlatch the door and operate it...seems like it might be more trouble than its worth....(shrug)
the only thing you could do is try it and see if it works yourself...unless you know anyone in Europe or Japan that is willing to open up their rear panel and look for the motor and stuff to see what you may need....might be like the roof rails and set up differently from the stateside Mz5s...

I have just contacted the local dealer here in Denmark/Europe and asked if it is possible to mount the electric feature on a Mazda 5 from 2005.. i will post his answer here as soon as i get it.

Jasz

I have just contacted the local dealer here in Denmark/Europe and asked if it is possible to mount the electric feature on a Mazda 5 from 2005.. i will post his answer here as soon as i get it.

Jasz

Cool. Hope its possible and not perversely expensive.

The MZ5 sliding door can be a friendship breaker. We all know the feeling
when a friend gets out of the car turns around and slides the door towards the pillar with
maximum velocity. 'zzzzzZZZAGGG!! ouch! We can't blame them though. As far as they know, a Minivan sliding door is to be slammed real hard to close.

To the friends -- they believe they are giving you a favor. And you can't
tell them to 'be gentle' afterall its just a minivan door.

I believe a motorized sliding door is a solution to this problem. Even if it is only on the passenger side.

So i finally got an answer.... but unfortunately not the one i wanted :-(

According to the Danish Mazda distributor it is not possible to buy the electrics for the door as an sparepart... he told me that if i could find a trashed never model i would probably work on a 06 model, but it would be a big job to do it. Most of the cars wiring needs to be redone and you have to disasemble most of the car to get the motors in place, so he did not encourage me to go and find a donor car.

Damn, that was not what i wanted to hear.... but i have to live with it.

Jasz

P.S. What is it with the rails US vs. Europe.... i am new to M5 but i can see that there is a lot threads about it.

Bummer. But, I really wasn't counting on a positive outcome to this thread. Many people wonder why some of us are so hell bent on those darn power doors. I just try to explain that once you have had them, they are so handy and easy, it's hard to go back...

Oh well, maybe next round will have them.

So i finally got an answer.... but unfortunately not the one i wanted :-(

According to the Danish Mazda distributor it is not possible to buy the electrics for the door as an sparepart... he told me that if i could find a trashed never model i would probably work on a 06 model, but it would be a big job to do it. Most of the cars wiring needs to be redone and you have to disasemble most of the car to get the motors in place, so he did not encourage me to go and find a donor car.

Damn, that was not what i wanted to hear.... but i have to live with it.

Jasz

P.S. What is it with the rails US vs. Europe.... i am new to M5 but i can see that there is a lot threads about it.

Thanks for the research. I'll scratch this mod off of my list.

So I was digging around in the fuse box today and found two 20amp fuses... for the sliding doors (shrug).

So we have the fuses (L & R doors), and probably the relay?, already installed, but no motors...

The hard wiring is already done like Tilly said, he found connectors/harnesses...
michael.

Sliding doors comes in a variety of design, but offers the same security and privacy like the common swing door. With the application of technology, man has upgraded sliding doors to a more futuristic feel - the power sliding doors.

Possible 2012 Mods???!:

Vista Roof (Like Flex or Mini Cooper)
Power Sliding Doors and trunk
15% Tint for rear windows
Optional 3-seat 2nd Row removable bench (poor man's Limo)
Towing Package (ha!)
Diesel Option (then it could tow)
Rear Camera
Built-in child seat boosters
Flat-screen monitors on head rests (for Vista roof models)
Fridge in Dash
Floor Storage
Turbo

Mazda insists on "NO" to power-sliding door option for USA

"Saving weight and money" is just an old excuse from Mazda for not exporting powered sliding doors, available in all other markets, to the US. If we want it, will pay for it and don't care about the minimal weight, why the heck can't we too enjoy the convenience and safety of powered rear doors? I refuse to buy a van without it and am waiting for the new Ford B-Max to solve things, assuming they sell it in the US.

"Saving weight and money" is just an old excuse from Mazda for not exporting powered sliding doors, available in all other markets, to the US. If we want it, will pay for it and don't care about the minimal weight, why the heck can't we too enjoy the convenience and safety of powered rear doors? I refuse to buy a van without it and am waiting for the new Ford B-Max to solve things, assuming they sell it in the US.

Not sure of the benefit of power sliding doors on the Mazda5. they are so light and well balanced that my 5 year old can open and close the doors. Its a neat feature and I can understand the need on the big heavy tanks like the caravan, but they are just not needed on the Mazda5.

I can see the convenience of opening the sliders if your arms are full of bags, but even then the doors operate so lightly (compared to a Caravan) that it is easily managable the way it is now.

Now power folding mirrors actuated by the igntion turning off would be nice as I've got a few scrapes on the end of my mirrors from people trying to squeeze by in parking lots!

Just chiming in hear as it wasn't mentioned throughout the thread, but my 2007 GT (Canadian) has the power sliding doors... but the power only kicks in to finish the closing of the door, won't close it from full open or open the doors. What is does allow you to do, because the doors are so light (as mentioned previously), is basically get the door started moving and as long as it get's to about an inch within being closed, the power part takes over and closes the door.

I'm pretty sure that the space and wiring that was found is what the motors for this option hook up to. Now, the question in my mind is, if they were able to do this, could it really have cost that much more to get fully powered doors going?? Or could we have saved cash and weight by having this included in the GT option? I mean, it's nice, but truthfully, it barely ever gets used. Though as the kids get older (they're only one now) and begin to use the doors themselves this will help in ensuring they can close the door fully themselves. But it does seem weird... I would think you either go full power or go home... maybe Mazda was worried about how they would be perceived by going "Full Power" and so only went partial...? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwGRJA28lY

Back