Posting Images to the forum

If you're talking about the one with the red valve cover & vacuum gauge, it works fine for me.
-Thumbnail is fine.
-Displaying as the selected pic is fine
-Full Screen is fine

Here's a screenshot:

View attachment 224410
Excellent info, thanks for sharing that @Avoidin Deer Very helpful! 👍

@bwalt Can you try removing that last pic (red valve cover) and re-attaching it? Also, future pics should orient correctly...Please let me know if they're not.

Yes, pages loading a little bit faster now. The images are still very (very) good quality. Too good even.
I think you've got room to improve the load speeds much more with the image Optimizer.

See THIS post for example. That first image is 4032 X 3024 and 2.36MB. Waay too big for a forum that displays images at 800 X 600.

Would be great if there was a way for members to upload images at whatever size the image was captured at, but when that image is uploaded to the forum, the forum automatically reduces the image size to an acceptable size.. say 1024 x 768 and well under 1MB.
Great feedback, thanks...Will look into possibly reducing quality a bit more.

As for having the forum automatically reduce image size, I looked into this and realized that we can set a dimensions limit. Now I'm not sure how that's going to work with the Image Optimizer but there's one way to find out...By attaching an image to this post...

IMG_0437.JPG

The attachment image dimensions limit is currently set at 2000x2000. Now remember the Image Optimizer should reduce the size further (when it eventually processes it).

I saved your image to my laptop, Antoine. It's 1500x2000 but pretty small at 335kb.

Here it is at the limit of 800x600 (and 96k) that Jazzy says the forum displays, for comparison purposes:

IMG_0437_reduced.jpg

I keep a folder for the pics I've resized for uploading here and elsewhere, and only a couple are just over 100kb (around 110kb.) I've opened your pic and my pic in separate browser windows directly from this thread and toggled back & forth, and can tell no difference between them on my monitor...but even that 356k file you posted is plenty of savings over the original sizes.

Last edited:
Shows as 1500x1125 (295kb)...still a reasonable file size in terms of kb.

Here it is as 800x600 (84kb)

Forum2resize.jpg

Other than the slight dimension difference, resolution on monitor is identical.

Thanks @Avoidin Deer...Yeah, 800x600 seems a bit small to me when going full size though...I'm going to try a max of 1200x1200 next...On a related note, quality is very important so I certainly do not want to loose it.

Original pic = 4032x3024, size 3.84 MB...

IMG_2346.JPG

Thanks @Avoidin Deer...Yeah, 800x600 seems a bit small to me when going full size though...I'm going to try a max of 1200x1200 next...On a related note, quality is very important so I certainly do not want to loose it.

Original pic = 4032x3024, size 3.84 MB...

View attachment 224434
Downloaded as 1200x900 (218kb).

Again, quality is limited by monitor resolution. "Better resolution" is invisible. Larger files are required for quality prints.

Here's 1024x768 (120kb).
test large resized.jpg

There is a small noticeable deference to the quality of the photos Antoine posted in post #42, #44 and #46 when compared to the same photos uploaded by Avoidin Deer in posts #43, #45 and #47.

IMO, Antoine's settings in post #44 is the best solution. Uploaded at 4032x3024 / 3.06 MB, auto reduced to 1500x1125 / 295kb, and displayed in 800x600. A maximum of 1500X1500 and 500kb or under works the best. Still very good quality images, and very quick page loading speeds!! Happy days. (y)

Well done boys!

Last edited:
On a similar subject, since the merge to the new forum, the forum pages display is only 2/3 of the screen width. See screen capture below:

screen.jpg

Is this something on my end or is it the forum default? I prefer the full width display myself, but if not possible, no big deal.

On a similar subject, since the merge to the new forum, the forum pages display is only 2/3 of the screen width. See screen capture below:

screen.jpg

Is this something on my end or is it the forum default? I prefer the full width display myself, but if not possible, no big deal.
I believe that has something to do with the Latest Posts box at the top right-hand side. It seems to occupy an entire column width. I poked around...if there's a way for each User to turn that off, I didn't find it.

I believe that has something to do with the Latest Posts box at the top right-hand side. It seems to occupy an entire column width. I poked around...if there's a way for each User to turn that off, I didn't find it.

This also appears to be where ads are displayed.

Good point

Not that it really matters (and I made a side-comment on this before), but I turned off Ad Block for this site when Antoine first put up that banner message, and I have yet to see a single advert.

screen.jpg

I just noticed...I'm on another forum that uses this software, and the "Latest Posts" box only appears at the top-level pages. It is not at the thread level. Once you're down into the conversations, you get the whole screen.

There is a small noticeable deference to the quality of the photos Antoine posted in post #42, #44 and #46 when compared to the same photos uploaded by Avoidin Deer in posts #43, #45 and #47.

IMO, Antoine's settings in post #44 is the best solution. Uploaded at 4032x3024 / 3.06 MB, auto reduced to 1500x1125 / 295kb, and displayed in 800x600. A maximum of 1500X1500 and 500kb or under works the best. Still very good quality images, and very quick page loading speeds!! Happy days. (y)

Well done boys!
Awesome, thanks for the follow-up feedback...I've set the max to 1500X1500 🖼👍

screen.jpg

That's the sidebar which currently consists of one "Latest posts" box between two ad locations (if you're logged-in).

The sidebar is essential for displaying various forum related items and for placing ads (required in order to fund this operation).

That's correct and I don't believe there is...

Correct.

Good point

Not that it really matters (and I made a side-comment on this before), but I turned off Ad Block for this site when Antoine first put up that banner message, and I have yet to see a single advert.
Yeah you mentioned that, strange...I will send you a PM about it, thanks.

Back