Possible to Order a CX-5 with Port-Installed Options?

mazdanewbe

:
CX-5 (Maybe)
When the 2020 CX-5 is released for sale, I would like to order one with Port-Installed Options.

That's because I intend to lease the vehicle and as long as the options are included on the widow sticker, they can be included as part of the lease (residualized, as the dealer calls it).

Another reason for insisting on only port-installed options is that I've read too many horror stories about dealer-installed options that were poorly installed (e.g., tow hitch). I simply don't trust the dealer to do the job right. This is a deal-killer for me.

I'd like to include the tow hitch, front and rear bumper trim package, and parking sensors. See attached Mazda Specification Deck for the CX-5.

There are several Mazda dealers in the Phoenix area and my plan is to work with the dealer who is willing to meet my special order requiements.

My questions are:

Has anyone "custom-ordered" a Mazda before with port-installed options?
If so, how did you find the dealer process to be?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 2019-Mazda-CX-5-Press-Kit-Spec-Deck.pdf
    175.2 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:
I can't answer your questions, but I believe you can include dealer installed options in the capitalized cost. Not sure how it would affect the residual, or if that's your concern. Usually, the residual is just a percentage of the cap cost, so you wouldn't lose any value if that's the case.

When the 2020 CX-5 is released for sale, I would like to order one with Port-Installed Options.

That's because I intend to lease the vehicle and as long as the options are included on the widow sticker, they can be included as part of the lease (residualized, as the dealer calls it).

Another reason for insisting on only port-installed options is that I've read too many horror stories about dealer-installed options that were poorly installed (e.g., tow hitch). I simply don't trust the dealer to do the job right. This is a deal-killer for me.

I'd like to include the tow hitch, front and rear bumper trim package, and parking sensors. See attached Mazda Specification Deck for the CX-5.

There are several Mazda dealers in the Phoenix area and my plan is to work with the dealer who is willing to meet my special order requiements.

My questions are:

Has anyone "custom-ordered" a Mazda before with port-installed options?
If so, how did you find the dealer process to be?

Thanks for your help.
  1. Yes, I did. I special ordered my 2016 CX-5 through my Mazda dealer although I didn't want any port installed Mazda genuine accessories. I also helped Panther, a local member here near me, to get a new 2016 CX-5 with the following packages (from factory) and accessories (installed at the port) and printed everything on the window sticker:

2016 CX-5 GT AWD
    WHITE/ BLACK INTERIOR
    DESTINATION FEE
    TECH PKG
    I-ACTIVSENSE PKG
    MOBILE START
    DOOR SILL PLATES
    RET. CARGO COVER
    CARGO TRAY
    ROOF SIDE RAILS
    MOON ROOF DEFLECTOR
    SIDE WINDOW DEFLECTORS
    SOFT CARGO COVER
    SPLASH GUARDS F/R
    WHEEL LOCKS
  2. Panther emailed every Mazda dealer in our area and got a couple of responses back with price. He chose an offer from a Mazda dealer closest to him.

I ordered one from the factory through my dealer.

I ordered:
-hitch
-roof rails
-splash guards
-rear bumper guards

I had no problem with the ordering process, but the dealer called me a few weeks later because they had a Reserve in the color I wanted--without the options--in the pipeline. If I were willing to accept dealer installation (at $0 labor) I could significantly accelerate delivery. I agreed.

I know this does not 100% mirror your scenario (since I never took delivery of a car with port-installed options), but there was no problem when I placed the order. There was no push-back or "We can search to find one nearby" conversation. But part of what I told them was I wanted a car with less than 10 miles on it so I could fully break it in myself. And I could have declined their accelerated delivery offer...the guy did not push it.

Last edited:
This was way back in 2005-6, but I ordered my MX-5 from the factory via a dealer and it included both factory and port added options. I was highly discouraged by the dealer in trying to do so, and had to put down a hefty deposit, but I ended up eventually getting exactly what I wanted on my new vehicle. I realized that part of the dealer reluctance was just that I wasn't viewed as a serious customer until the deposit check cleared.

There were just some bad luck things that happened in the interim between the order and receipt that caused it to take an excessive amount of time--those included my original dealer losing their Mazda relationship as a result of a multi-dealership sales deal gone bad, and then poor weather delaying the car's ocean transport. Mazda switched the responsibility to another somewhat local dealer, and they took care of receiving and delivering my car.

Last edited:
Back