P0442 Evap Leak - Solved

Attachments

• 20220817_201149~2.jpg
    20220817_201149~2.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 214
3 Intake clamp screws are highlighted in yellow. Check the 2 screws for the Mass Airflow Sensor highlighted in blue to make sure they are tight. Don't overtighten the 2 screws highlighted in blue as it is plastic you are screwing into and it could strip the holes. I fill up with 87 for gas and after filling up, I would have to press the gas when starting it to get the engine going. Not good for the engine but it was the only way. After that it starts fine till I had to fill up again. Doesn't do that anymore after tightening the screws in the picture above.

Hi All,
Back again 4 years from original post. CEL came on with codes P0442 and P0456. Removed the canister vent solenoid and just like the first time, I was able to blow a very slight amount of air through it in the closed position. Replaced it, cleared the codes and CEL has stayed off! Miles now at 170,400.

I had the P0442 code about a year ago too. Removing the valve and trying to clean it internally with oven cleaner quickly followed by WD40 and then some soap and water seemed to get it to seal up again (at least when I was trying to blow through it), but it only lasted for a couple months before the code returned. At that point I replaced the valve, and the code has been gone for the better part of a year now.

Back