2017~2024 Please Help Radio/Console Randomly Restarting

Thanks that would help it’s a 2017 C-X 5 the mid level model 29800 mi
I hope your CX-5 still have 3-year / 36K-mile new car warranty. If you do, take the CX-5 to your Mazda dealer for warranty service ASAP.

You can try to soft reset infotainment system without restarting car: press and hold the Back button, the Nav button, and the Mute button for at least 10 seconds. You can also try to remove the Nav SD card and see if that would help. But honestly your infotainment system may have some hardware issues with bad components or short circuits which may need replacement of the unit.

Dealership may be able to update the firmware free of charge, if it's under 3 years. Otherwise, can be done yourself, though it is more of a hassle than it should be.

Last edited:
I have the same car that I just got. It still has about 6 weeks of the basic warranty left. Mine started doing the same thing as soon as we had a cold night. Lot's of threads out there saying it's a defective NAV card. I called the dealership, they want the milage of the car, and an invisible number off the back of the card. In my case, because the car is still in warranty, and because I live 4 hours from the dealer, they are exchanging by mail. No idea how much the replacement would cost if I was out of warranty. Don't know if this will solve the issue, but it is worth a try. As soon as I removed the card, everything, but NAV, which I seldom use, works fine.

I have the same car that I just got. It still has about 6 weeks of the basic warranty left. Mine started doing the same thing as soon as we had a cold night. Lot's of threads out there saying it's a defective NAV card. I called the dealership, they want the milage of the car, and an invisible number off the back of the card. In my case, because the car is still in warranty, and because I live 4 hours from the dealer, they are exchanging by mail. No idea how much the replacement would cost if I was out of warranty. Don't know if this will solve the issue, but it is worth a try. As soon as I removed the card, everything, but NAV, which I seldom use, works fine.
Don’t just settle for email communications with your purchasing dealer. Go to any Mazda dealer near you asking for warranty service on your infotainment problem. Make sure to get a formal service invoice, so that you have a record in Mazda’s system. This protects you when your infotainment system keeps having the same issue after you’re out of new car warranty.

Don’t just settle for email communications with your purchasing dealer. Go to any Mazda dealer near you asking for warranty service on your infotainment problem. Make sure to get a formal service invoice, so that you have a record in Mazda’s system. This protects you when your infotainment system keeps having the same issue after you’re out of new car warranty.

We have been communicating by phone. They are the closest dealer to me, as well as where I bought the car. They are 4 hours and two mountain passes away, so I am very happy with their response thus far. I will certainly get an invoice, and be sure the whole transaction is recorded.

That NAV card can cause problem with the MID. The other day, I started the car w/o waiting for it to finish booting (my wife's sound advice says: always wait). The NAV did not work. It shows a big Compass. Did a soft reset (MUTE+NAV held down for 10 secs). It took a while (like 2 minutes) for it to finally boot up. A lot of time spent on accessing the NAV card....
Maybe time to clean the pins of the card. :)
'17 CX5 GT.

That NAV card can cause problem with the MID. The other day, I started the car w/o waiting for it to finish booting (my wife's sound advice says: always wait). The NAV did not work. It shows a big Compass. Did a soft reset (MUTE+NAV held down for 10 secs). It took a while (like 2 minutes) for it to finally boot up. A lot of time spent on accessing the NAV card....
Maybe time to clean the pins of the card. :)
'17 CX5 GT.

I don't understand.

"The other day, I started the car w/o waiting for it to finish booting"

What's the process you use to start your CX? I press the brake and then the Start button. No waiting for anything to boot. The boot process completes after the car is started.

You people with slow responding systems. With the car off, eject the SD card. Now give it a try. Is it faster? MUCH faster? If so, look for one of my posts describing the use of contact cleaner on those SD cards. I'm not going to go though it again here, I've said it SO many times already. It really should be a sticky, on this forum and the MX forum.

Cold does affect it. It was doing it intermittently then one cold morning it was constant

It really should be a sticky, on this forum and the MX forum.
@Conrad 16.5 How about creating a new Resource describing this technique (for the All Mazdas category)..? Another option would be to create a thread (which may be stickied for a certain amount of time) and I’ll post a link to the thread in our Resources section (for additional exposure).

@Conrad 16.5 How about creating a new Resource describing this technique (for the All Mazdas category)..? Another option would be to create a thread (which may be stickied for a certain amount of time) and I’ll post a link to the thread in our Resources section (for additional exposure).

I can do that.

It rebooted once after the software upgrade. After that it hasn’t done it since
I got the new SD card today and mine is working fine now. We should have some colder mornings next week, so we'll see if it holds. I need to do the firmware update too. I'm still on 59.

As you suggested.

Back