Play audio-books?

:
CX5
Can you play audio-books through the stereo? I am thinking of a book downloaded to my iPhone then playing via bluetooth.

Mazda support says 'no', but I find that to be their default answer to everything.

Has anyone tried successfully?

CX5 - 2013

I usually convert all audio-related media (music, audio book, podcast, ...) as mp3 either on my phone or a USB drive, thus, the car should have no problem playing them. If you want to interact using the phone GUI, then yes, Bluetooth should do.

If you're talking about a proprietary app that doesn't allow playing back via Bluetooth or exporting to mp3, sorry, I'm against DRM to begin with :-(

Upvote 0
I have an Android phone. I download audiobooks from my library with the Overdrive App. I then play them on the phone via the app and through the CX-5's system via Bluetooth. Works perfectly! That said, I can't speak for using an iPhone but I find it hard to imagine it would be any different.

Not sure what year your CX-5 is (mine is 2014), but I can also control the playback via the head unit in addition to doing it on the phone. So I can start it, pause it, rewind it and fast forward it right on the head unit. The steering wheel controls don't work for this with the exception of volume. Oh, and if I get a call while it's playing, it pauses until the call is done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
minnesotaart,
audio books using overdrive are exactly what I want to play .. Mazda customer service says it can't be done (overdrive is not a recognized app to them)
it seems logical to me that it would work
my car is a 2013
what did you do to set up?

Upvote 0
minnesotaart,
audio books using overdrive are exactly what I want to play .. Mazda customer service says it can't be done (overdrive is not a recognized app to them)
it seems logical to me that it would work
my car is a 2013
what did you do to set up?

Absolutely nothing special at all. Just downloaded the Overdrive app to my phone and checked out a book (via download) from the library. If it plays on your phone, it will play in your vehicle. My phone is recognized via Bluetooth by my CX-5 as soon as I start the vehicle which I assume is the same as yours. Then I just turn on the audio in the CX-5, press the Bluetooth tab and then start playing the book on Overdrive on my phone; the sound comes out of the vehicle speakers. Once it's playing you get typical "VCR-type" controls on the CX-5 headunit (play, pause, FF, Rew, etc.). The same controls on the phone also work, but it's much easier to use the headunit screen. Volume can be controlled from the phone, the headunit and the steering wheel. And if you get a call while it's playing it will pause just like Bluetooth music would.

Upvote 0
AGGG!!!!
should work .. does not
I spent a year and a half with my car in and out of service for the bluetooth and I never did believe they had fixed all the issues (but I am new to audio books)
the bluetooth support call center says to 'take it in for service' .. (by my count .. this is now about the 10th time!)
thanks for your input

Upvote 0
Yes, you can choose to play Audible Audiobooks on your phone and connect it to your car strereo through Bluetooth. Another alternative solution is to convert the Audible AA/AAX files to a common MP3 file, then you can transfer the MP3 to your Car Stereo for playback.

Upvote 0
I prefer to use my audkit aax converter to convert audible audiobooks to mp3. Then save them on my portable mp3 player and phone. So that I can stream all these mp3 audiobooks to the car stereo via Bluetooth. You can try this workable way.

Upvote 0
I prefer to use my audkit aax converter to convert audible audiobooks to mp3. Then save them on my portable mp3 player and phone. So that I can stream all these mp3 audiobooks to the car stereo via Bluetooth. You can try this workable way.
Cool, I didn't know this was possible. It could be a good backup for when the audible app and/or Android Auto are acting up.

Upvote 0
Back