Plastic rubbing plastic noise from the rear

:
2020 CX-5 GT Resrv
I have had a plastic on plastic sounding noise coming from the rear (sounds like it is inside the cabin) of my car now for a few months. I hear it when I hit any kind of turbulence while going over 45mph or if I change lanes and hit the reflective markers in between the lanes. I am at 58,000 miles so out of warranty. I have taken every thing out of the hatch and looked inside every crevice I could find to no avail. I can describe the sound like this.. Imagine one of those cheap rolls of scotch tape, the kind you use for wrapping gifts and taping something to the fridge, if that plastic was to partially break and rub against the rest of itself. It sounds dumb, but the sound is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Ps. Test drove a CX-3 yesterday and kinda liked it. I will trade my CX-5 in if I can't figure out what this sound is!

Please help.

If you're experiencing a rubbing or crackling "plastic on plastic" sound I'd start pushing on plastic pieces that line the interior.Hell, gently push on overhead lights and maybe the headliner.Years ago I had a honda hatchback that had a rear hatch making a creaking noise.The latch needed adjusting.Sit in the car and have someone push in and out on the rear hatch.Maybe the latch needs adjusting so the hatch closes a little tighter.It may be annoying but it's not rocket science.Just takes some investigative work.Good luck.
As for trading in the cx-5 for a cx-3,I don't know how much money you have to burn when it's all said and done or how tall you are but I sat in one at the dealer and found it lacking in legroom and headroom (I'm 6'1") and feeling kinda cramped compared to the cx-5 with little room to carry stuff behind the rear seats also.Also overpriced in my opinion for what it is.Not trying to criticize or insult you as we all have different tastes,but I personally wouldn't change cars because of that kind of noise.Suppose you bought a cx-3 and it developed an annoying noise then what? Remember, the cx-3 doesn't have much of track record yet compared to the cx-5.Who knows what issue could develop with a recently introduced model.Off my soapbox now.

Bingo.

The spoiler is definitely making noise. I took the two black covers off on each side. One nut was loose half way down the bolt, and the other one was completely missing.

Ran to Home Depot and got a replacement and some lock tite. Good to go!

My only concern now is that the black side pieces on the exterior are a bit loose. I may have to delve deeper if the noise persists.

Will update if I do. But the ride already seemed a bit quieter.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're experiencing a rubbing or crackling "plastic on plastic" sound I'd start pushing on plastic pieces that line the interior.Hell, gently push on overhead lights and maybe the headliner.Years ago I had a honda hatchback that had a rear hatch making a creaking noise.The latch needed adjusting.Sit in the car and have someone push in and out on the rear hatch.Maybe the latch needs adjusting so the hatch closes a little tighter.It may be annoying but it's not rocket science.Just takes some investigative work.Good luck.
As for trading in the cx-5 for a cx-3,I don't know how much money you have to burn when it's all said and done or how tall you are but I sat in one at the dealer and found it lacking in legroom and headroom (I'm 6'1") and feeling kinda cramped compared to the cx-5 with little room to carry stuff behind the rear seats also.Also overpriced in my opinion for what it is.Not trying to criticize or insult you as we all have different tastes,but I personally wouldn't change cars because of that kind of noise.Suppose you bought a cx-3 and it developed an annoying noise then what? Remember, the cx-3 doesn't have much of track record yet compared to the cx-5.Who knows what issue could develop with a recently introduced model.Off my soapbox now.

As much as I know the CX-5 drives and handles great compared to other SUV's in its price category, it still feels like I'm driving an SUV. My wife has a 2015 Mazda3 and on the rare occasion I get behind the wheel, it brings me back to my sports car days, and I miss having something sporty. But also I need something a bit higher off the ground, as I run a sales route and get in and out of my car a dozen times a day. My old Mazda3 was giving me serious back problems getting in and out of repeatedly. The CX-3, while not at tall as the CX-5, did seem to be pretty easy for me to get in and out of. I am 5'11 and I understand what you meant about head room, but there was enough for me and I kind of liked a more condensed cockpit. It was definitely a sportier drive than the CX-5, but I don't know if I can sacrifice the rear cargo space. ALSO, the real deal breaker for the CX-3 for me, and this will sound ridiculous, the center armrest. It has no console for storage. I hold a ton of stuff in mine currently, and do not know where I would put it all in the CX-3.

We had similar sentiments when we test drove a CX-3. I liked its looks, but no center console was weird, and also my right knee kept banging the center dash stack when getting into the car. I'm really glad we went with a 2-year old CX-5 instead, for much less money.

Places to check:

If spare tire is secured and not sliding.

Below the removable floorboard are Styrofoam supports I believe. If not aligned in place they potentially could cause some rubbing noises.

Check if rear seat belts are snagging and if their tensioners (screwed unto walls) are secure.

On the right side corner below the rear brake lights are evacuation/air tubes (not sure what their proper names are). They are accessed by removing the black plastic housing. Check if anything is in there causing sound. Check if the flaps are stick open.

Check if the shark fin on the roof has been dislodged.

Check if license plates/frame are loose.

Check your window seals.

Last edited:
I checked all those spots. I was convinced at first that it was some of the styrofoam, but it wasn't.

It was the spoiler itself. I tightened it and 95% of the noise went away. The two black plastic parts on the side of the spoiler seem to be a bit loose as well. But it sounds like quite a process to tighten those. So I will live with it the way it is, if it gets still bothers me later on maybe I'll dive in.

I checked all those spots. I was convinced at first that it was some of the styrofoam, but it wasn't.

It was the spoiler itself. I tightened it and 95% of the noise went away. The two black plastic parts on the side of the spoiler seem to be a bit loose as well. But it sounds like quite a process to tighten those. So I will live with it the way it is, if it gets still bothers me later on maybe I'll dive in.

Spoiler huh? HMmm. I'm pretty sure some sound dampening foam or even sound deadener (anti-rattle) material used for sound systems can probably help.

Back