Piano Black on the interior. You guys are right about scratching easily.

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
I used a flashlight in the interior of my car and there are micro scratches on the shiney black trim that must have been caused either from the dealership detailing it or from my fingers. So you guys are right about that scratching easily. The exterior trim is mat black and I have one scratch that was done at the dealership. For all I know a customer browsing cars could have done it with a zipper or something on their cloth, who knows. It isn't that noticeable but I know it is there.

All of my interior Piano Black is covered with Stainless Steel in both the front and back.

I got tired of polishing this shiny ABS plastic. Yes, it's possible to remove those spider scratches and yes, it looks beautiful when you do, however, it will have to be done almost constantly.

The Stainless Steel is so much easier to maintain and almost impervious to scratching. You have to work at it to scratch it.

EPss8xu.jpg

R8e9FDc.jpg

All of my interior Piano Black is covered with Stainless Steel in both the front and back.

I got tired of polishing this shiny ABS plastic. Yes, it's possible to remove those spider scratches and yes, it looks beautiful when you do, however, it will have to be done almost constantly.

The Stainless Steel is so much easier to maintain and almost impervious to scratching. You have to work at it to scratch it.

EPss8xu.jpg

R8e9FDc.jpg

Nice!! Where did you get the trim pieces?

Piano Black is something I wish would get phased out quickly. I am seeing other makes with piano black cladding on the rear. Talk about scratch city.

If I were the designer I would go to a matte plastic with aluminized buttons.

For cleaning I use a microfiber with interior detailer spritzed on it. It will still scratch over time though.

Nice!! Where did you get the trim pieces?

Unfortunately I don't remember the specific sellers because I have deleted that info. However, I did get them from ebay.

I found them in the first place by doing a search for stainless steel, 2018 CX-5. If I remember correctly, there were several vendors involved in order to get the SS door pieces and both the SS pieces for the console. The drink holder cover is not real SS but is close enough to look okay.

Unfortunately I don't remember the specific sellers because I have deleted that info. However, I did get them from ebay.

I found them in the first place by doing a search for stainless steel, 2018 CX-5. If I remember correctly, there were several vendors involved in order to get the SS door pieces and both the SS pieces for the console. The drink holder cover is not real SS but is close enough to look okay.
Almost every eBay vendor that sells the SS trim is missing the hole for the passenger window switch. Is yours the same?

Yes.

I had to cut an opening with my Dremel but it still looks better than the original polished ABS.

I have a Signature. I wish Mazda would have used the same wood on the console and doors as on the dashboard trim. I haven't been able to find that as an option, but would be interested in that.

All the moaning and groaning owners did about the reflections caused by brushed stainless in the later Mk Is and now theres a queue for the stuff. I had a rental last year in the US, and it was covered in scratches - how? There are none in mine and in the last 3 post 17, never has been. You*ll be pleased to know that they*ve gone away from piano black in the new 3 and generally other models follow suite. The next CX5 should be next year or the year after or will it be the CX50?

Back