Permanent oil filter?

:
San Diego, CA
:
2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed
Not saying that I like the idea, but you reduce the waste of 48 used filters - not recyclable - likely go to landfill.

True. It's like having a cleanable air filter. The K&N cleanable oil filter does have built-in magnets - an advantage for older cars, although some people place powerful arc magnets on the outside of their disposable filters.

Not saying that I like the idea, but you reduce the waste of 48 used filters - not recyclable - likely go to landfill.
Used oil filters are recyclable, along with the used oil; for information about one program, see the Alberta Recycling Program for Used Oil Materials | AUOMA. I have changed most of my own for decades (although I have an oil change package for the Mazda3, so the dealer is doing it for that car), and take both the oil and the filter to a collection station.

I used a K&N air filter on a previous car, but with the current construction and cost of air filters, and my concerns about both the cleaning process and effectiveness of the K&N design, I have no interest in doing this for any further vehicles. The oil filter looks like an even worse idea, especially due to cleaning.

It is interesting - I didn't know this design existed. The cleanable oil filters I have seen are unsuitable for normal use; this one at least looks like it could be used as they suggest, cleaning it at normal oil change intervals.

I pay $12-$13 for K&N disposable oil filters. I love the 1-inch welded-on hex nut that really comes in handy for some vehicles. Some day, I may be tempted to install a sensor plate, in between the filter and engine. That way, I can monitor oil temperature and pressure.

I kinda knew this was coming...My new 4runner doesn't take oil filters. You're supposed to change the element inside it, saving trees and landfills and salamanders and s***.
I think it's just a way for them to milk you for the oil changes, because if you try to do it yourself, it's a nightmare of a mess.
This looks like you can at least spin the whole thing off, then empty it out. With my car you have to fish the element out of a pool of dirty oil.

I'd say that is a bad move on Toyota's part. The thing that bothers me about many newer vehicles is the lack of gauges. This is why I bought a ScanGauge 2 for my MX5 and 3. Sadly, I still can't tell when the oil is warm enough to safely hit the gas pedal.

Lots of owners change the elements of those Toyota cartridge filters (which are of course filters) themselves without mess or difficulty - at least on the 2007+ Sienna - but there people who dislike them. The cartridge system throws away (hopefully to recycling) less material with each change, which I assume is also the idea of the K&N system. Since only a small minority of owners change their own oil with any type of filter, I doubt Toyota would change the design to get those very few oil change customers, but of course I don't know.

I would rather change the element of the Toyota cartridge system than wash and rinse the K&N.

The thing that bothers me about many newer vehicles is the lack of gauges. This is why I bought a ScanGauge 2 for my MX5 and 3.
I agree - and I have a cheaper similar OBD device. Most value which can be displayed by an OBD-based system never had gauges on the dash.

Back