Pedal Commander...Best Mod I have done

jjhebigscreen

:
mazda cx5
Hi,

I always found the throttle response to be lacking even though it is supposed to be better on the redesined 2017 model. I added a Pedal Commander and it feels like a different vehicle. It adds no horsepower but the cars throttle response is so reactive and fun with out being to twitchy. The car definitely feels faster and more playful. I have had it for about a year and still enjoy it every time I get into the car. Some people think these devices are snake oil but I can tell you they have not tried it. If you want to have more fun with your cx5 I would highly recommend.

What is the effect on your MPG? I think the throttle mapping on the 2017+ CX-5s are almost perfect, way better than on our 2016.

How does the Pedal Commander compare to Sport mode?

Going from the front-loaded pedal on my 2007 Mazda3 to the linear pedal on my 2014 took a bit of getting used to, but it definitely makes for smoother driving. On the odd occasion that I want to relive the glory days of 80% throttle response at 40% pedal travel, that's what the Sport button is for :D

I know the Jeep crowd likes this thing. Interested my self for a few years now....just pricey.

Mazda does have the pedal tuned for MPGs. Now if only they can lower the price. Do they have a satisfaction guaranteed policy?

How does the Pedal Commander compare to Sport mode?

Going from the front-loaded pedal on my 2007 Mazda3 to the linear pedal on my 2014 took a bit of getting used to, but it definitely makes for smoother driving. On the odd occasion that I want to relive the glory days of 80% throttle response at 40% pedal travel, that's what the Sport button is for :D

One difference would be is the RPM will not stay stuck at 3-4K, where it usually stays when cruising with sport mode on and the transmission on Auto.

Hi,
I always found the throttle response to be lacking even though it is supposed to be better on the redesined 2017 model. I added a Pedal Commander and it feels like a different vehicle. It adds no horsepower but the cars throttle response is so reactive and fun with out being to twitchy. The car definitely feels faster and more playful. I have had it for about a year and still enjoy it every time I get into the car. Some people think these devices are snake oil but I can tell you they have not tried it. If you want to have more fun with your cx5 I would highly recommend.

Ok. Purchased the PC for my 2018 CX-9 via Amazon just in case I don*t like it I can return it w/o any hassle. I agree the CX-9 is slow out of the box, but once it gets going. I don*t want to void my warranty with engine mods, so this solution seems viable. The interesting part is that it can be controlled via a b/t app. We*ll wait and see, if it*s just snake oil, said the blind man. (wow)

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Last edited:
Ok. Purchased the PC for my 2018 CX-9 via Amazon just in case I don*t like it I can return it w/o any hassle. I agree the CX-9 is slow out of the box, but once it gets going. I don*t want to void my warranty with engine mods, so this solution seems viable. The interesting part is that it can be controlled via a b/t app. We*ll wait and see, if it*s just snake oil, said the blind man. (wow)

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Looking forward to your review. Amazon does have good returns policy.

Also Bluetooth version or wired options. Cool.

Last edited:
So what are these things? Never heard of it.

I don't have a sport mode switch heh. Is this like installing your own sport mode or something?

Last edited:
voltage regulator, "in the middle" device which tricks ecu that the throttle pedal is depressed a bit more than it is.
pedal -> sensor -> commander connect -> ecu.

poor mans ecu tuning :) like back in the days when they used to sell magnetic devices to lower mpg.

voltage regulator, "in the middle" device which tricks ecu that the throttle pedal is depressed a bit more than it is.
pedal -> sensor -> commander connect -> ecu.

poor mans ecu tuning :) like back in the days when they used to sell magnetic devices to lower mpg.
Ah...at that price...seems better to just spend the couple extra hundred to do a real tune?

Ah...at that price...seems better to just spend the couple extra hundred to do a real tune?

Messing with the ECU can void the warranty. Also, it's harder to get your tune dialed in, and you can't change your tune "on the fly". But in the hands of a good tuner, so many more parameters are covered besides throttle response, so it is less likely for something to go wrong.

$300 is around what I would expect for something like this. Convenience, ease of install/uninstall, multiple "levels of adjustment", Bluetooth capability. I checked some of the negative Amazon reviews and the stories are pretty bad.. WOT or nothing at all, random CELs that would cause limp mode (but would go away after a restart), etc. Seems like this is one of those things that you need to try before you buy, so good thing you got it on Amazon, Azeke.

Messing with the ECU can void the warranty. Also, it's harder to get your tune dialed in, and you can't change your tune "on the fly". But in the hands of a good tuner, so many more parameters are covered besides throttle response, so it is less likely for something to go wrong.

$300 is around what I would expect for something like this. Convenience, ease of install/uninstall, multiple "levels of adjustment", Bluetooth capability. I checked some of the negative Amazon reviews and the stories are pretty bad.. WOT or nothing at all, random CELs that would cause limp mode (but would go away after a restart), etc. Seems like this is one of those things that you need to try before you buy, so good thing you got it on Amazon, Azeke.
Yikes! That doesn't sound fun at all!

Mazda CS actually told me about a guy who messed up his ECU with the OBD port plugging s*** into it. $4500 later, his mazda was working again. No thanks.

This is one of the things I was leery of, however this does not plug into the OBD port, but is plugged directly into the accelarator pedal module... If I was plugging into the OBD port, I wouldn't of purchased it. Theoretically, it is not even detected via any codes.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Back