CX-5 Parking brake malfunction

Imagine if you're parked somewhere and a careless driver bumps into your car in the front or the rear. All that force is transferred to your transmission and the parking pawl, no good can come of this.

Also if you don't use the parking brake when parking on a hill, your transmission can 'tup' and be extremely difficult, or impossible, to take out of Park.
I can see that. That would be situational.

One upon a time I street parked in Chicago, drove a stick, and used the parking brake. Today I rarely find a need to parallel park and even rarer on a hill, and I do use it when hill parking as noted.

Funny story--back in the day, after parallel parking overnight at a Chicago intersection, the following morning I found my Bimmer (stick, parking brake on) sitting in the middle of the intersection with a ticket on the window for illegal parking. The guy who pushed me out wasn't satisfied with just making space. Lucky I got there before it was towed. Funny now, not so funny then. In the ensuing 40 years I've never seen any evidence of somebody hitting or pushing on one of my vehicles.

Back