2016~2023 Parking brake getting stuck

On my 2016 CX-9 Signature (48,000kms), I've had the rear brake get a little bit stuck before, but today it was really bad. Stopped at an intersection and one brake was smoking - rear driver's side. I had the brakes serviced - new rotors and pads - at the dealership in July. Ideas on what this could be? Don't want to keep giving the dealership money.

Are you saying the parking brake is overheating? The parking brake is inside the rotor and it's a small set of drum brakes used for the parking brake only. If that is hanging up it will overheat but wouldn't be visually obvious.

If your regular brake pads and rotors are overheating then the dealer may have done a poor job and they didn't properly clean and lube the guides for the pads and the caliper where it moves in the mounting bracket. It should be obvious if they are overheating as the rotor will have a burnt color to it.

Otherwise your caliper likely has frozen and you need to replace it and any of the other damaged hardware.

Last edited:
Are you saying the parking brake is overheating? The parking brake is inside the rotor and it's a small set of drum brakes used for the parking brake only. If that is hanging up it will overheat but wouldn't be visually obvious.

If your regular brake pads and rotors are overheating then the dealer may have done a poor job and they didn't properly clean and lube the guides for the pads and the caliper where it moves in the mounting bracket. It should be obvious if they are overheating as the rotor will have a burnt color to it.

Otherwise your caliper likely has frozen and you need to replace it and any of the other damaged hardware.

Good advice. I'd take it back to the dealer to diagnose - if they messed up and the rotor/pads need to be replaced, they should cover the cost.

Are you in Canada? If you don't have Mazda Added Protection, your basic warranty has expired, which means that you'd probably be on the hook if the problem does happen to be a frozen/stuck caliper. In any event, I'd see if the dealership would be willing to help you out on the cost of replacement. If they aren't, contact Mazda Corporate. It's not a guarantee that they can assist, but it's worth a shot.

Back