Park CX-9 in garage?

:
13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose
I had a CX-9 rental a few months ago and parked it outside. I forgot to test fit it into the garage. I have a basic 2-car garage with maybe 19 feet length. Do you guys park CX-9 (199 inches) inside garage and if so what type of garage and how much clearance you guys have?

Pretty standard garage here, i back mine in. Enough room at front to get by (pants will get dirty) and in back I have clearance to open hatch and remove items such as stroller.

Side to side with a CRV, enough room to fully (or very close to fully) open doors that are facing middle of garage. Outside door, no. Very close to wall.

I can try to get some measurements later.

I guess only way to know for sure is measure your garage. I can tell you when i leave a foot at the front (backed in), I have 2 ft a the back. That 2 ft is more than enough for the hatch to open. Unloading bags is easy. Stroller requires some pivoting but not difficult.

I suspect my garage is smaller than other suburban homes built in 80s near me. I guess my length is the 199 inches plus 36 that I have in clearance, so less than 20 ft.

Width, 3 ft between the CX9 and the 2017 CRV is possible, but that's with being very close to walls. Bit less is usually what I end up with. We do try to tuck the vehicles in close to wall. All I have along sides of garage are tires, leaning flat against the one side.

My garage is 20ft 1inch from the garage door to front wall. CX 9 fits with no problem. Parked about 18 inches from the front of the garage there is enough room in back to open the hatch. Could sneak by the front if necessary, but walk behind to get to other cars. Use one of the Stop light systems to be sure car is parked the same distance from the wall each time. Turns out I have it set where the parking sensor goes off for the closest setting, but that may be because of the spare boards that are stacked against the front wall of the garage. The stop light dates from another house and car where wife had a little trouble judging the distance and I got tired of repairing the drywall

Use one of the Stop light systems to be sure car is parked the same distance from the wall each time. Turns out I have it set where the parking sensor goes off for the closest setting, but that may be because of the spare boards that are stacked against the front wall of the garage. The stop light dates from another house and car where wife had a little trouble judging the distance and I got tired of repairing the drywall

I back the CX9 in, and have red piece of tuck tape on the floor. Once my bumper is over the tape, I'm good. Also coincides for me with the sensor giving the STOP beep.

CRV goes nose first, that I kind of judge...smaller vehicle, so more leeway. Too far up is annoying with the entry door and steps on that side. Every so often, have to readjust after turning off. Two long vehicles would be annoying, so OP maybe think about the side you'll be on if that's an issue.

One rear in,one nose in helps as that way the driver for each vehicle can exit. Other side, wall too close so passengers exit outside garage. Also, if both noses in and mirrors unfolded, leaves little room to get by. Hence the rear and nose combo.

Neighbor uses bricks, when he feels the brick he stops. Teeny WRX and GTI, I'm sure he could just judge it but we all have our ways!

I have 18 feet on one side and 16.5 feet on the other due to stuff in my garage. I accounted for 5 inches inside the garage door. A CX-9 is gonna be a tight fit for me. There is something like mini ramps/bump stops you can buy to consistently park in the garage.

A standard, American two car garage is 24 x 24', you should be fine unless you have a ton of stuff in it. ;)

I believe mine is 21 x 24 wide but taller opening intended for pickups. My garage door opening is noticeably taller than neighbors which helps if I load stuff on top of the CX-5. I could get the CX-9 to fit by simply moving my tool cart to the side I guess.

I back the CX9 in, and have red piece of tuck tape on the floor. Once my bumper is over the tape, I'm good. Also coincides for me with the sensor giving the STOP beep.

I actually drive my Mazda6 into garage, put gear into rear, and use the back up camera to line up the bottom of the camera screen to the garage door concrete tract lines on the ground. Perfect space for me to access the trunk while garage door is closed. The CX-9 is about 7 inches /178mm longer than the Mazda6. I sure wish I had a 24 ft length garage.

Something I have always done in my 2-car garage parking to provide easier access to the cars is use a center-oriented driver door arrangement. When entering the left garage, I always back in so that driver exits into the center & not against a wall. Likewise, when entering the garage on the right we always pull front in making driver egress to the center.

I use the high tech, tried and true tennis ball (version 2.01) hanging on a string system.
Even my wife knows how to use it.

I've got a few extra mats from my home gym flooring stacked up in my garage that act as a parking curb. It works the same way as the parking mat that @CX-5um linked.

I've got a few extra mats from my home gym flooring stacked up in my garage that act as a parking curb. It works the same way as the parking mat that @CX-5um linked.

Dammit I donated some gym mats to Goodwill not knowing how I can re-purpose it.

I use the high tech, tried and true tennis ball (version 2.01) hanging on a string system.
Even my wife knows how to use it.

I always wondered what if it was windy outside. How much would the ball swing?

I have a standard US garage which means it is crammed with stuff and two cars. I back my CX-9 in. The front-right has 1-2 inches of clearance from the fender to a wall shelf. 1-2 inches clearance from the front bumper to the garage door sensor. 6 inches clearance from the rear bumper to stuff along the back wall. I cannot open the tail gate. I even have stuff (e.g. wood planks, sand bags, etc.) stored on the garage floor where my CX-9 is parked over.

I use a :
1. laser parking system mounted to the ceiling (https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned))
2. My onboard 360 degree camera
3. Parking blocks (https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned))
4. and this guy
unnamed.jpg

I have a 24’ wide by 32’L garage with double 7 1/2’ doors. I have a tennis ball hanging in each stall to let me know I have pulled in far enough to close the garage door. Love my deep garage. When I had a Miata I was able to store it in front of the other 2 cars for the winter by parking it perpendicular to the other 2 vehicles. My house (and attached garage) were built in 1964. The first owner did so many things right with this house way back then.…laundry and one bedroom and a half bath on the first floor, 3 bedrooms and 2 baths upstairs. Dressing room upstairs, butler’s pantry in between the kitchen and dining room.
0D1063E5-50B8-414A-A4FE-36ED470ECE78.jpeg

I have a 24’ wide by 32’L garage with double 7 1/2’ doors. I have a tennis ball hanging in each stall to let me know I have pulled in far enough to close the garage door. Love my deep garage. When I had a Miata I was able to store it in front of the other 2 cars for the winter by parking it perpendicular to the other 2 vehicles. My house (and attached garage) were built in 1964. The first owner did so many things right with this house way back then.…laundry and one bedroom and a half bath on the first floor, 3 bedrooms and 2 baths upstairs. Dressing room upstairs, butler’s pantry in between the kitchen and dining room. View attachment 299237
Look at that frontage! Nice.

They don't make them like that anymore, least not in the Toronto area. New builds here are now at times under 30 ft frontage for detached home. 50 ft is luxury. Width of my lot is the garage (detached from the house in the back, 2 car single door) plus a parking pad beside it, just wide enough for 1 car.

Older areas have the lots 60 to 70 ft or more, but go for big $$$$ even without renos.

Look at that frontage! Nice.

They don't make them like that anymore, least not in the Toronto area. New builds here are now at times under 30 ft frontage for detached home. 50 ft is luxury. Width of my lot is the garage (detached from the house in the back, 2 car single door) plus a parking pad beside it, just wide enough for 1 car.

Older areas have the lots 60 to 70 ft or more, but go for big $$$$ even without renos.
We live in a small town in ohio. we have a half acre lot, 115’ x 150’ . We bought the house 13 years ago for $200k. Recently had a builder tell us it would take $550k to build it today…as long as lumber and materials dont go any higher. I think we will stay put and die here. We are both 69 and have looked to downsize but why move in to less house for more money. This market is crazy right now. And yes they don’t build them like this any more. Small lots, no basements and in the big cities they are only building these humongous mansions that I can’t figure out how they afford them.

Back