Painted factory wheels

Spent way too much time on my mags but the end result is way better than the stock silver color. What to do next...

PXL_20210414_120819179.jpg

I like the look of the black-painted aluminum wheels, but then again I drive a Carbon Edition.

Well, “better” is clearly open to interpretation. This is not meant to disparage the OP, he is far from alone. My pet peeve, why do so many owners take photos of their rides with the important parts in deep shadow? Black wheels in the dark, wow I can see that clearly! Not. Take pics with your back to the sun folks!

Well, “better” is clearly open to interpretation. This is not meant to disparage the OP, he is far from alone. My pet peeve, why do so many owners take photos of their rides with the important parts in deep shadow? Black wheels in the dark, wow I can see that clearly! Not. Take pics with your back to the sun folks!
Not a professional photographer here but a mechanic, next sunny day I could take a pic.

Did you get it painted or did you do it yourself?

I think it looks great!

How much did that cost you?
I did it all myself as you get closer and the more you look the more mess-ups you'll see in my paint. It's not that great of a job, it's my second set of mags doing that but I bought three different kinds of sandpaper 400, 800 and 1100 and wet sanded all of those steps then primered tremclad black and then a tremclad clear. Unfortunately I didn't have access to a paint booth so I did it in my shed over the winter with the space heater. It all costed around 60$ cad.

Nice, yeah I mean from further away it looks great. :)

I wanna do something similar to ours but I don't know how long it would last...There are some places that can do this sort of job, but it's not cheap to get it done.

Some people even use PlastiDip I heard but I wonder about longevity. :)

I thought about the plasti Dip but I wanted to try something that I thought was be a bit more permanent then plasti Dip. You could always buy a deck of cards and stick the cards all the way around the rim in-between the tire and coat the rim that way but you need to block everything else in behind it before you do that.

My rims are off right now as I have two sets, one for winter and one for summer.

Maybe now is the time to plasti dip them before I change them. :)

Black gloss looks good on almost everything and especially pops with shiny colors.

I like the black! I am not a fan of silver wheels.

You should black out your emblems and the front chrome next.

I ripped the OEM wheel's off and put these on mine (Koenig wheels). There is a guy in Canada that sells the 'evil mazda' center inserts for the wheels so I added those as well.

I put 'plasti dip' on the front chrome on my 2019 CX-5 and it held up for two years with zero issues. Though I did put a layer of Jade Ceramic on top so maybe that helped it last. So maybe it will work well on your wheels?

cx52sml-jpg.302769

Attachments

• cx52sml.jpg
    cx52sml.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 115
Powder Coat FTW. Factory finish in gloss black, and they usually refinish them to clean up curb rash

Back