P5 ECUs

:
2002 Mazda Protege5 in BRIGHT ASS YELLOW
So from what I understand, the P5 ECU really isn't tunable.. is there a way to install MSD ignition? I figure is Megasquirt ppl have figured out how to remap Engine management, it must be able to be done.. probably not easy though....

Also, what's the difference with the 03 MSP ECU where it gives a performance boost to P5 NA engines? I'm pretty sure the MSP had a turbo....:cautious:

Thanks in advance for any replies.

IIRC You can swap in a MP3 ECU and get around 10 more HP, since it's the same engine and everything as in the P5, don't quote me on that though.

Cool. thanks for the infos! 😁 What about things like MSD? Is that out of the question? and how would that work with EFI, since most diagrams I see online are all about Dizzys?

As far as I remember, you can piggyback the ECU or go stand alone.

It's all here in this forum somewhere.
I didn't follow mods much.

Back in the day the best turbo kit for the Protege was the Hi-Boost kit, which came with a Haltech. There were a few other kits, but they all needed stand alone ecus (some used microtechs, iirc) and none compared to the hi-boost kit. It would be pretty cool to find one of those old kits or even just the manifold.

The stock ignition is fine in these cars. Here's a pretty thorough thread on protege ignitions.
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php?threads/final-protege-ignition-system-thread.57047/

Like those guys mentioned, the easiest way to pick up a couple HP is intake, exhaust, and the ECU out of a Protege MP3.

Cool. thanks for the infos! 😁 What about things like MSD? Is that out of the question? and how would that work with EFI, since most diagrams I see online are all about Dizzys?
IMO if you're going for power you're better off getting a turbo from an MSP and installing it, as all you need is an oil line from the oil pan to the turbo.

What about replacing our normal ECU with a more programmable one? One that say Versatune will work with? I know they're not a direct swap, probably some sort of adapter harness will be necessary... But most of the things that control our car are broken out into separate boxes.. and those of us with manual transmissions have even less to control by ECU.... The main piece we're missing for those later ECUs is Drive by wire if I'm not mistaken, but isn't there a later version of this engine that has those parts?

And yes I'm asking questions and making trouble on purpose... I love how cheap this car is to repair and easy to work on (generally.. if it hadn't been sitting in a flood). But it needs a little more power. Not a ton, but a little. My Expedition can drive more spiritedly. Granted, the Expo came with twin turbos, but the Mazda I think could do a ton better if it was a little tunable.

There is a crapload of MS knowledge over at miataturbo.net. I’m sure that some of those guys must be knowledgeable about the FS motor as well.

Back