P0365 Camshaft Position Sensor Question

:
2013 GrT CX-5
Greetings! I have looked and been unsuccessful finding a thread on this (which seems surprising...I must be bad at searching).

2013 Mazda CX-5 GTS just started throwing P0365 and P061D. I looked up P0365 and before buying the part, I wanted to know if there is a different Camshaft Position Sensor for the exhaust (per that exact code number) compared to the generic P0340 ignition sensor. I can't find any parts that mention exhaust versus ignition for these sensors...Are they the same?

dont take my word for granted but it kind of looks like its the same type for both even though its 2 separate sensors.
Dont forget the O-ring as well.

You can also check the sensor out and check its voltage if you are good with electronics. Check wiring and connectors as well.
Sensor is magnetic and attracts metal crap, a good visual look after remov may also show whether its clean.
Usually they are simple sensors and not just die so easily.

am3zzw00012560.gif

Terminal​
Voltage (V)​
Condition​
A​
Approx. 5.0​
Under any condition​
B​
Below 1.0​
Under any condition​
C​
Above 4.5​
High output*​
Below 0.8​
Low output*​
* Output voltage varies with crankshaft rotation.

am3uun00001664.gif

Fail-safe

Intake CMP sensor

DTC No.​
Fail-safe function​
P0340:00​
  • Set the electric variable valve timing control to the maximum cam retard mode.

Exhaust CMP sensor

DTC No.​
Fail-safe function​
P0365:00​
  • Stops the fuel injection.
  • Stops the ignition.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okie dokie, I'll give it a visual inspection before I get a new one and see if there is any debris that can be jostled loose to provide a fix. Thanks for the info! I thought they were the same as well.

Upvote 0
make sure to clean/wipe the seating of the sensor (careful on the hole so that junk doesnt get in) and hopefully the O-ring wont be toast from the heat. May be buy spare Oring from a dealer just in case. Dealer can also verify if both sensors are the same.
Torque on the bolt seem to be 8 to 10 Nm.

by the way, is the car a non starter?

Upvote 0
The problem first arose from a non-starting incident, but the car has since started and driven fine for a few days. The CEL is the only thing now indicating an issue, otherwise it seems totally fine.

Don't think it could be related, but code P061D MAF sensor is also on, started at the same time.

Upvote 0
How is your car battery?
CX5s are very sensitive to dying batteries.
Probably not related but doesnt hurt to check it out.

Did you try to clear the error(s)?
It may have been from the non starting and now ok.
I always clear the pcm and then watch if it shows again.

If you use Forscan with decent obdii you can capture a bit more details. At least on the PC version. More specifically the freeze frames when the CEL happened. sometimes they help sometimes not :)

Upvote 0
Back