P0140 How to turn off the check engine light?

mazrom

nicuban
Hi guys. I got this code p0140. I know what this is and does not seem to change anything in engine’s performance. Now my question is: what is the easy(cheapest) way to get rid off check engine light?

Any help is appreciated.

You could just get a new downstream O2 sensor.
They're not much money.

Thanks pcb! You think the Ultrapower brand will do it for a DD (not a long commute, 50-60 km only) and do you remember the size and where to get that insert you have to use to keep p0420 away?

If you don't have a header and your pre-cat is still good, then you don't have to worry about the anti-fouler trick or the P0420 code.

I would personally just buy the cheapest one.
It's not that big a deal if it craps out, ... you just throw a code.

These are the nonfoulers.

They have a premade version now so you don't have to drill it out (which is a PITA.)

Those O2 sensors can be seized up pretty good and a PITA to remove.

You can cut the wires off the old one and put a deep socket on it.

You'll need to use a wrench to install the new one though.

Thank you guys for your suggestions. I know is a PITA to remove that sensor because I've done it once, years ago and now I guess it's time to have fun again 🙂.

I have an 02 Socket. Started rounding the old 02 sensor with my 2 ft extension bar.
Not sure how I will get it off.

That's the problem I've heard about with an O2 socket.
They have a slice in them and they can bend/open up when you reef on them.

If you're not reusing the O2 sensor, you can just cut the wires off and use a regular deep socket.

Putting a torch to it can really help loosen it up.

As a PSA, for those that need to remove rusted in place hardware; I've tried most of the commercially available penetrant sprays and concoctions and found THIS STUFF to be the next best thing after KROIL and 50/50 Acetone/ATF.

It really works. -and it's available at most well stocked auto parts stores.

That's the problem I've heard about with an O2 socket.
They have a slice in them and they can bend/open up when you reef on them.

If you're not reusing the O2 sensor, you can just cut the wires off and use a regular deep socket.

Putting a torch to it can really help loosen it up.

Problem with cutting the wires is that once you do that there is no going back.

I don't have a torch. Currently I get the P0140 intermittently and I am not due for emissions for over a year. So, my plan is to just leave it as is until it comes up for inspection. If it is a constant issue then and I can't pass then I'll try cutting the wires and using a deep socket.

Problem with cutting the wires is that once you do that there is no going back.

Yeah, I was figuring if the sensor is bad and being replaced, the wires don't matter.

A regular wrench should be fine to install the new one and the wires won't get in the way.

Back