P0106 Won’t Go Away

Scottyk7

Hi all,
I'm new to this, so don't hate me if I don't follow all the rules perfectly! I'm learning.
Ok so here's what's going on. I keep getting the code P0106 (BARO (MAP) Circuit Performance Problem) on my 2001 Protege LX 1.6 ZM
In an attempt to resolve the issue I've replaced:
MAP sensor
EGR Solenoid
EGR Valve
Head Gasket
Valve Stem Seals
Vacuum lines from EGR to MAP sensor and EGR Solenoid

I made a little smoke machine to see if I could find any vacuum leaks in my engine and I couldn't find any. I removed my ECM and checked for continuity to the MAP and EGR Solenoid as well as the EGR. I did a voltage test on all the parts that correlate to the MAP. I cleaned the MAF (just in case) and the IACV as well as the TPS. Cleaned the intake with seafoam intake cleaner. I also cleaned the EGR solenoid air filter. I cleaned all the small vacuum ports that correspond to the MAP. I've checked everything and I do not know what's going on. I had poor compression in 2 cylinders - that's why I replaced the valve stem seals. Then after replacing those I decided to go ahead and replace the head gasket because it was leaking oil. I thought these would fix the MAP issue (poor compression could cause it) but the code keeps coming back.
Any help from you guys would be awesome! Thank you!

Last edited:
SOLVED!!!
Okay, so I checked continuity from the connectors to the ECM and I verified that every part was working as it should, but I kept getting the P0106 code. I thought about it and the only thing left that could be causing it were the harnesses that hooked the wires into each part. I went through every connector involved in the EGR system and I bent the metal wire connectors down to make them grip the metal prongs tighter in each wire harness. I'm guessing the connectors in one of the harnesses were loose and it would lose continuity for a second and trigger that code. I think I fixed it, but we will see!
I have gone about 100 miles and no CEL yet. Hope it doesn't come back because I don't know what else to check if it does...

SOLVED!!!
Okay, so I checked continuity from the connectors to the ECM and I verified that every part was working as it should, but I kept getting the P0106 code. I thought about it and the only thing left that could be causing it were the harnesses that hooked the wires into each part. I went through every connector involved in the EGR system and I bent the metal wire connectors down to make them grip the metal prongs tighter in each wire harness. I'm guessing the connectors in one of the harnesses were loose and it would lose continuity for a second and trigger that code. I think I fixed it, but we will see!
I have gone about 100 miles and no CEL yet. Hope it doesn't come back because I don't know what else to check if it does...

wow, Scotty, that's some prett extensive hunting! I hope you got it, because I wouldnt know what to do next, either!

So I’ve had the same code be thrown multiple times over the years in my 2003 Mazdaspeed protege. I have a CXracing FMIC kit and a greddy blow off valve. I gave up after looking for the issue and took it into my trusted mechanic and was told it was because of the blow off valve? Basically just releasing pressure into the atmosphere? I don’t believe this is true. But he also doesn’t specialize in modified cars. I have replaced a number of parts over the years and it will go away for a long time and then re appear. Is this something you ever found the answer to? I haven’t done quite the extensive research on mine as you did to yours. It also drives completely fine and only occasionally throws the code so it hasn’t been too much of a pest. Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• F8EDF80A-E33F-4A6D-8B60-AC9DD06A81D7.jpeg
    F8EDF80A-E33F-4A6D-8B60-AC9DD06A81D7.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 151
Back