Outward Camera Visibility Compromised

:
TX, USA
:
2019 Mazda CX-9 GT
I've seen this a couple of times while driving and just want to make sure this is not an issue I should be worried about..

Mostly comes up when I'm going to work in the mornings or going back home in the evenings.

Wondering what causes this and if anyone else has seen it. Anything I can do to prevent? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200812_073433.jpg
    IMG_20200812_073433.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 724
It can happen in low-light, with thick fog and very humid conditions, which makes sense, but I've also had it happen under some surprisingly clear conditions. On a sunny, crystal clear winter day, with the sun low in the sky, reflecting incredible glare off of the dried rock-salt covered interstate in W VA, I received this message constantly under those conditions.

Recently had it happen twice in one trip due to bug splatter. Used the window washer and it fixed itself. But, yes, other times it's happened and I had no idea why.

Yeah, that makes sense. Now that I even think about it, I remember noticing that my warnings appeared when it was extremely sunny... Specifically with the sun beating down on the front of the car... i.e. I go east on my way to work when the sun is rising and go west on my way home as the sun is setting. So the rays probably have to do something with sensor interference...

Still, wonder if there's anything that can be done to mitigate this issue...never had it happen on any of my other vehicles..

If the sunlight hits the sensor just right, it can "blind" the camera, leading to the error. I'm not sure if anything can be done to mitigate this without interfering with the basic function.

I see this warning usually in the early morning when the sun is low on the horizon and the car is pointing directly into the sun. It temporarily blinds the camera(s), when I turn in a direction away from the sun the warning disappears and the system works normally. I others here, doubt you can do anything about it but enhance your awareness when you get the warning and know it is not operational.

Back