Optima Battery Fitment - 2014 CX-5 Touring

Living in S Texas USA heat is a killer on car batteries. Current battery is almost in need of replacement...starting to be just a little sluggish when starting. It's 3+ years old which is about all I seem to get from current battery technology. The current battery is an AGM battery from Auto Zone and I'm willing to go expensive again if it makes the battery last reliably for at least 3 years.

Just wondering if anyone has had good (or bad) luck with Optima Red or Yellow batteries. My concern is the fact that the Optima battery cases are a little smaller (I guess) than the usual group 35 battery cases.

From the Optima web site:
"Non-BCI group size.; Requires bottom height adapter, check hood clearance."

How does adding a "bottom height adapter" work? Where does one get a "bottom height adapter" anyway? And if adding a "bottom height adapter" makes the battery so tall that Optima warns about checking hood clearance are there other ways to make an Optima battery work in a CX-5?

So really just asking for any feedback about using Optima batteries in a 1st gen CX-5. Or should I just get another AGM battery since the current one has been fine for 3+ years?
Thx for any replies!
SA Bill

I know Optima is regarded as possibly the best AGM type battery but I wonder if it has any advantage in severe heat? Or would you just be killing an even more expensive battery?

How does adding a "bottom height adapter" work? Where does one get a "bottom height adapter" anyway? And if adding a "bottom height adapter" makes the battery so tall that Optima warns about checking hood clearance are there other ways to make an Optima battery work in a CX-5?

the height adapter is used so your factory tie downs work. The want to warn you that you are adding height and that any height should be checked against hook clearance -- duh!

Get one here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

you basically raise the battery up.

Now AGM batteries -- Optima has done great marketing work for their product, and yes they perform well in harsh environments (think lots of vibration, heavy machinery, offroad, etc). For heat yes they also perform well.

Some light reading:

AGM is made by many manufactures so shop around and find one that fits your budget.

Living in S Texas USA heat is a killer on car batteries. Current battery is almost in need of replacement...starting to be just a little sluggish when starting. It's 3+ years old which is about all I seem to get from current battery technology. The current battery is an AGM battery from Auto Zone and I'm willing to go expensive again if it makes the battery last reliably for at least 3 years.

Just wondering if anyone has had good (or bad) luck with Optima Red or Yellow batteries. My concern is the fact that the Optima battery cases are a little smaller (I guess) than the usual group 35 battery cases.

So really just asking for any feedback about using Optima batteries in a 1st gen CX-5. Or should I just get another AGM battery since the current one has been fine for 3+ years?
Thx for any replies!
SA Bill
I’m in Texas too and the OEM battery on my 2016 CX-5 is about to need replacement. Since any kind of battery would be difficult to last long in hot Texas, my theory is that it’s a waste of money to get very expensive battery in Texas. The AutoZone AGM battery you currently have is more expensive than regular flooded battery. It has longer warranty too. If I were you I’d just use the warranty (free in 2 years, prorated afterwards?) to get another AutoZone AGM battery, for a minimum cost.

After 6 years old, my factory battery was getting sluggish on cold mornings and it was only November.Rather than dick around and feeling lazy I went up the road to O'reilly auto parts and got their SUPERSTART Premium store brand battery which is made by East Penn/Deka and has a reputation for being quality.It cost 149$ with tax and had a date code indicating no more than a month old.Some people go to Walmart and get a lot better price on their brand.I have no experience with AGM batteries but I'd be reluctant to spend big dollars on a battery that will only last a few years.

CX_5 Driver: Thx for the explanation and links! Confirms what I was thinking.

yrwei52: Yep...the heat just kills batteries down here. My goal is to not have the battery die completely unexpectedly. Afraid to buy cheap and have that happen. Had Die Hard batts in the past that "died hard"...started the car fine to go someplace and then when leaving to go home would be completely dead. Very frustrating. Unfortunately the current battery's warranty ended at 3 years so I'm past getting any relief that way.

Jmaz: I'll look into the East Penn/Deka brand batts. Not familiar with them but I know there have been a lot of changes with car battery manufacturers in the last few years.

All: Not that I trust a dealer completely when they give me info while trying to sell me something, but I was having my tires rotated and balanced this afternoon and the shop did a load test on the battery and it showed only 301 CCA. That would certainly jive with my noticing that the "spin" when starting wasn't as robust as it used to be.

Sooooo...it seems like "decent" flooded batts are about $160 USD and the "better" (hopefully) AGM batts start at around $200 USD. I'm willing to pay that extra $ to hopefully avoid a sudden let down for a battery that up and dies without warning.

Back to researching what's available so I can get a new batt before some travel coming up.
Thx all!

I guess I decided...just ordered an Optima Red with free home delivery tomorrow. Hoping it does at least as well as the current battery.

Also ordered a spacer to raise the battery height. Ordered directly from Odyssey for $2.08 USD. Even with the $10.00 USD shipping that's cheaper than Amazon and it should get here quicker...I hope.

Will update when I get it all installed...

I think one failure mode of heat stressed batteries is warped plates that short the cell. Then you can't get more than 10v and yet it recharges quickly. AGM batteries have the fiberglass matts than help prevent this.

I've had pretty good luck with Interstate batteries with reinforced lead alloy plates but maybe I should look into an AGM.

Sooooo...new battery was to be delivered yesterday. Went someplace yesterday morning and car would not start when I was ready to go back home. Pushed my luck a little too far. Luckily I had a jump starter in the car so I was able to jump and get home. Waited for new battery and it arrived after dinner. It was hot so I waited and put the new battery in the car this morning. New Optima Red came with a plastic riser so I just used that to get the battery up high enough to use the hold down. So far new battery works fine. Date code on the new battery shows that it was made this month so it hasn't been sitting around on a shelf for a long time. Hoping I can get 4 years out of this battery but we'll see....

I’m in Texas too and the OEM battery on my 2016 CX-5 is about to need replacement. Since any kind of battery would be difficult to last long in hot Texas, my theory is that it’s a waste of money to get very expensive battery in Texas. The AutoZone AGM battery you currently have is more expensive than regular flooded battery. It has longer warranty too. If I were you I’d just use the warranty (free in 2 years, prorated afterwards?) to get another AutoZone AGM battery, for a minimum cost.

Curious did you replace your battery. I see my CCA is down in the 300+ range. Was in the car the other day and running the accessories for a while and then I had to get a jump start. I'm in CO, but coming from northern MN I tend to go heavy on CCA. Been looking at the AGM Interstate batteries that Costco sells. $154 vs the typical battery at $79. Has 36 month replacement on both.

Last edited:
I wonder about home delivery on a battery. They are very heavy and contain acid.

It would be reassuring to get a battery with a current date code.

I wonder about home delivery on a battery. They are very heavy and contain acid.
It would be reassuring to get a battery with a current date code.

Your local parts store most likely is doing home delivery currently. This would allow you an immediate review of the manufacture date. Supply chains are often "just in time manufacturing" - so the likely hood of you getting a battery 3 to 4 months or older are slim to none. Most online retailers don't actually stock the items.. they do drop shipping from the manufacture. A retailer like Amazon does carry stock in the warehouse.. but with their sales numbers so large, and this a "normal" item, stock is not going to be stale.

Online delivery for batteries is handled just like any other heavy item -- with care. :)

I figured the same...local delivery from local store. But the battery I got, next day delivery, was from out of state. Sorry, don't remember where it was shipped from. And being AGM it didn't have any leakage. The box the battery came in was well padded on all sides by thick cardboard pads and the battery was in perfect shape. Don't know how O'Reilly can ship a heavy battery overnight and make any money. But I got the battery quickly and it worked so I'm happy!
Billl

I guess I decided...just ordered an Optima Red with free home delivery tomorrow. Hoping it does at least as well as the current battery.

Also ordered a spacer to raise the battery height. Ordered directly from Odyssey for $2.08 USD. Even with the $10.00 USD shipping that's cheaper than Amazon and it should get here quicker...I hope.

Will update when I get it all installed...
You had to order a separate Battery height spacer? My Optima Red Top came with one when I bought it from O'Reilly.

Latest posts

Back