2013~2016 Oil Seepage

If the oil leaks out can it be replaced?

Does the leak prevent the tensioner from applying tension?

Yes I think you can actually add oil into the tensioner. I have not tried myself but believe others did.
Read post 18 here https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-tensioner-oil-leak-pics.252834/#post-4085061 Dude just popped open the black rubber top, removed some oil, added new hydraulic jack oil. Since the rubber grommet is not on tight, seepage can easily occur.

....................and then read post 22 and 23. He replaced it since it started making noise.

Yes I think you can actually add oil into the tensioner. I have not tried myself but believe others did.
Read post 18 here https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-tensioner-oil-leak-pics.252834/#post-4085061 Dude just popped open the black rubber top, removed some oil, added new hydraulic jack oil. Since the rubber grommet is not on tight, seepage can easily occur.

....................and then read post 22 and 23. He replaced it since it started making noise.
His belt tensioner started making abnormal noises shortly after he re-oiled it. He said he’d learned from his error. And said replace the tensioner if it leaks.

Nice find for our information!

Just came back from dealer today. My story.
At 40k miles, dealer advisor told me about the tensioner leak with my '16 Mazda6.
I refused to change it on the spot.
Got home, I did see thick oil stain on the tensioner as the OP showed.
I wiped it clean and have been keeping an eye on it.

Fast forward to yesterday (at 47K miles, 6 months later).
My Mazda6 exhibits a ka-ka-ka-ka noise when I accelerate mildly offline or when cruising trying to pick up speed. i.e. engine revs up under load. No such noise when engine was at constant RPM.
I recalled the tensioner leakage 6 months earlier. So, I visually checked it again. I did see new oil leak. At idle (again, constant RPM, there was not abnormal noise.
It showed up with power braking if you know how to do it... (i.e. one foot on brake firmly, another on gas pedal .. be careful while doing this)

I visited the dealership today. I reproduced the noise with the advisor riding shotgun.
He heard it too.
I mentioned to him that could be the tensioner. He was not sure about it.
I decided on replacing the tensioner and the belt to see if that fixes the problem.

Two hours later. Good news.
It did get fixed.
A few hundred bucks lighter in my wallet.
Anyway,
PE03-15-980C was the part they used.
As to cost, it is expensive in bay area... so, not a good reference to you all.

Lesson learned.
Better replace it when it leaks.
It is on borrowed time.

I checked the tensioners on my '14 Mazda3 and '17 CX5.
Did not see any leakage.... yet. Knock on wood.

BTW, while I was there.
I checked out all the new vehicles (very very few in the lot).
Everyone of them has ADM of $4995 on the window sticker.
Man, crazy time.

Last edited:
Just came back from dealer today. My story.
At 40k miles, dealer advisor told me about the tensioner leak with my '16 Mazda6.
I refused to change it on the spot.
Got home, I did see thick oil stain on the tensioner as the OP showed.
I wiped it clean and have been keeping an eye on it.

Fast forward to yesterday (at 47K miles, 6 months later).
My Mazda6 exhibits a ka-ka-ka-ka noise when I accelerate mildly offline or when cruising trying to pick up speed. i.e. engine revs up under load. No such noise when engine was at constant RPM.
I recalled the tensioner leakage 6 months earlier. So, I visually checked it again. I did see new oil leak. At idle (again, constant RPM, there was not abnormal noise.
It showed up with power braking if you know how to do it... (i.e. one foot on brake firmly, another on gas pedal .. be careful while doing this)

I visited the dealership today. I reproduced the noise with the advisor riding shotgun.
He heard it too.
I mentioned to him that could be the tensioner. He was not sure about it.
I decided on replacing the tensioner and the belt to see if that fixes the problem.

Two hours later. Good news.
It did get fixed.
A few hundred bucks lighter in my wallet.
Anyway,
PE03-15-980C was the part they used.
As to cost, it is expensive in bay area... so, not a good reference to you all.

Lesson learned.
Better replace it when it leaks.
It is on borrowed time.

I checked the tensioners on my '14 Mazda3 and '17 CX5.
Did not see any leakage.... yet. Knock on wood.

BTW, while I was there.
I checked out all the new vehicles (very very few in the lot).
Everyone of them has ADM of $4995 on the window sticker.
Man, crazy time.
Thanks for the report. Last time I checked at my Mazda dealer the latest part number for OEM belt tensioner is indeed PE03-15-980C which has superseded PET2-15-980 (again!) listed in the TSB 01-019/19 dated on 11/26/2019.

There’re at least 6 different versions of belt tensioner. The current version PET2-15-980 was superseded by PE03-15-980C then supersedes it back last month. Who knows which one is the most reliable one among PE01-15-980A、PE01-15-980B、PE03-15-980A、PE03-15-980B、short-lived PE03-15-980C and the current version PET2-15-980?

Belt Tensioner - Shouldn't this be a warranty item?

I haven’t done anything on my leaky tensioner. With your experience, I may just wait until the ka-ka-ka-ka noise and replace the tensioner ⋯ :p:whistle:

Thanks, yrwei52.
Looks like PE03-15-980C is the newest one.
Luckily once a big jump on price for PE03-15-980C tensioner (MSRP $207.71), it has been adjusted back to $155.41. The MSRP for previous PET2-15-980 tensioner was $147.86.

Last edited:
Back