2013~2016 Oil Seepage

:
2014 mazda cx-5 touring FWD
Thanks yrwei52.I was past the 3/36 warranty point.Wonder how this latest revision will hold up.Makes you feel like a "beta tester".So it goes.I LUV YOU Mazda !!

:
2017 Mazda 6 Sport
I pointed out that my tensioner leaking when my 2017 Mazda6 w/34k miles was getting something else worked on last month. The master tech said that it was just a small amount of leakage and that it was normal. So, I was unable to get it replaced under warranty (and I used to work there).

:
13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose
From 2 long threads I looked, I believe CX-5um is the only one said his leaking tensioner in his Mazda6 got replaced under new-car bumper-to-bumper warranty at 17k miles.
To clarify my 2016 Mazda6 at the time had a seeping water pump replaced under warranty.....since the tensioner was also leaking I complained to Mazda USA and they agreed to replace it (tensioner) too under warranty. Expect to get pushback from dealership.

Will leaking tensioner cause harm to other components?...I'm not sure but I did not want to take the chance. That said, I could've sworn somebody mentioned something about the tensioner having a tension spring inside and its filled with oil. I really want to know as well if the leakage is really something we should be concerned of. I mean, isn't the tension spring doing the real work?

2013 CX-5 still has the original tensioner and is not leaking. Since its a 2.0 engine there's much more room inside the engine bay for me to access it....I changed the "larger" belt (not water pump belt) as preventative maintenance last year or so. Assuming you slowly and patiently release tension and remove the belt out the way the tensioner is not difficult to replace. I removed it and then put it back for practice. I still have a new made in Slovania OEM Mazda PE03-15-980B as backup in my garage.

Access it from the front driver sidewall behind the front passenger wheel. Ample lighting and longer wrenches for leverage helps.

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M

Will leaking tensioner cause harm to other components?...I'm not sure but I did not want to take the chance. That said, I could've sworn somebody mentioned something about the tensioner having a tension spring inside and its filled with oil. I really want to know as well if the leakage is really something we should be concerned of. I mean, isn't the tension spring doing the real work?

If the oil leaks out can it be replaced?

Does the leak prevent the tensioner from applying tension?

:
13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose
If the oil leaks out can it be replaced?

Does the leak prevent the tensioner from applying tension?
Yes I think you can actually add oil into the tensioner. I have not tried myself but believe others did.
Read post 18 here https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-tensioner-oil-leak-pics.252834/#post-4085061 Dude just popped open the black rubber top, removed some oil, added new hydraulic jack oil. Since the rubber grommet is not on tight, seepage can easily occur.

....................and then read post 22 and 23. He replaced it since it started making noise.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Yes I think you can actually add oil into the tensioner. I have not tried myself but believe others did.
Read post 18 here https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-tensioner-oil-leak-pics.252834/#post-4085061 Dude just popped open the black rubber top, removed some oil, added new hydraulic jack oil. Since the rubber grommet is not on tight, seepage can easily occur.

....................and then read post 22 and 23. He replaced it since it started making noise.
His belt tensioner started making abnormal noises shortly after he re-oiled it. He said he’d learned from his error. And said replace the tensioner if it leaks.

Nice find for our information!