2013~2016 Oil Seepage

:
'16.5 CX-5 Touring AWD
Good morning folks.

Did a once over of the engine compartment this morning and noticed some seepage coming from above/behind the alternator. Valve cover is clean and from what I can tell, the intake manifold looks solid as well. But it does appear to be coming from, or is most expansive directly below the manifold on the block, so perhaps that is truly the source. When I get some time I'm going to clean up the area (just cleaned the engine bay 2 months ago...) and start tracking.

Granted, they're not the best pics, but I was able to get these during my rush this morning. Bonus shot of the tensioner for good measure, a little dirty (you can see my finger swipe) but doesn't appear to be leaking like so many others. For those curious, car has just under 72k miles on it. What are your thoughts?
Mazda Leak 1.jpg
Mazda Leak 2.jpg
Mazda Leak 3.jpg
Mazda Tensioner.jpg

Good morning folks.

Did a once over of the engine compartment this morning and noticed some seepage coming from above/behind the alternator. Valve cover is clean and from what I can tell, the intake manifold looks solid as well. But it does appear to be coming from, or is most expansive directly below the manifold on the block, so perhaps that is truly the source. When I get some time I'm going to clean up the area (just cleaned the engine bay 2 months ago...) and start tracking.

Granted, they're not the best pics, but I was able to get these during my rush this morning. Bonus shot of the tensioner for good measure, a little dirty (you can see my finger swipe) but doesn't appear to be leaking like so many others. For those curious, car has just under 72k miles on it. What are your thoughts?View attachment 225330View attachment 225331View attachment 225332View attachment 225333
Based on seepage area, my guess is the timing chain cover leakage which is pretty common problem for CX-5 2.5L. There’s a TSB for the problem, but it’s hard to fix even if the dealer is following the TSB procedure.

Timing cover seal and coolant flange issue

Small Oil leak for me too... :-(

Might be tensioner too

IMO, tensioner fluid is much thicker and the leak should cover much smaller area if any.

It does look like timing chain cover.. mine leaks on the back side while this one looks to be on the front.

That’s what’s throwing me. From what I’ve seen of the timing chain leaks, they’re actual leaks that result in oil buildup on the back and bottom.

The tensioner isn’t leaking, and if it were, it should be more isolated.

I’m wondering if I’ve got an intake bolt causing the slow leak. I’m not concerned with the seepage, but would be nice to figure out the source.

actually, it looks like it could be the timing chain cover and the tensioner. do a finger swipe on the main body of the tensioner below the rubber portion. if it is a thick, black, oily dirt, then it's leaking

My second CX5 and my second belt tensioner leak at 43000 miles, so much for their improvement over the previous one.

IMG_20200704_182947849.jpg

madar: ironically the leak I have never had.
Don’t know what has the OP found about his oil seepage problems. But looks like OP’s belt tensioner is leaking too like madar’s!

My second CX5 and my second belt tensioner leak at 43000 miles, so much for their improvement over the previous one.

View attachment 225606
Well, I checked my belt tensioner today and it’s leaking too! My 2016 CX-5 is at 41,150 miles and I was a bit surprised as I checked the tensioner at beginning of this year at 40,500 miles and the metal body of the tensioner was bone-dry.

3A2C0AC6-486A-422A-90A4-9BE56F12E554.jpeg

there have been i think four revisions to the tensioner. the newest one is part number: PET2-15-980
The list price for PET2-15-980 is $147.86. That’s pretty high IMO with this kind of quality. And yes, there’re so many revisions: PE01-15-980A, PE01-15-980B, PE03-15-980A, PE03-15-980B. Hopefully this latest revision, PET2-15-980, would last much longer than 40K miles!

What happens when it leaks all out? I wonder how long one would last after it starts leaking?

The list price for PET2-15-980 is $147.86. That’s pretty high IMO with this kind of quality. And yes, there’re so many revisions: PE01-15-980A, PE01-15-980B, PE03-15-980A, PE03-15-980B. Hopefully this latest revision, PET2-15-980, would last much longer than 40K miles!
mazdapartsfactor has it for $99 right now

I don't need to hear this.I replaced my tensioner 15,000 miles ago at 29,000 miles and there has been 2 more revisions since then(?).
How is it that some people are getting it replaced under warranty.My memory may be faulty(not unusual) but I recall,at that time, noticing that it was not listed in the drivetrain components covered under warranty.The dealer also said not warranty(imagine that) and quoted me a mere 420$ to change it along with new belts.

I don't need to hear this.I replaced my tensioner 15,000 miles ago at 29,000 miles and there has been 2 more revisions since then(?).
How is it that some people are getting it replaced under warranty.My memory may be faulty(not unusual) but I recall,at that time, noticing that it was not listed in the drivetrain components covered under warranty.The dealer also said not warranty(imagine that) and quoted me a mere 420$ to change it along with new belts.
Yeah the latest version of belt tensioner, PET2-15-980, is not only more expensive ($147.86 MSRP), but also it’s made in Slovakia.

BTW, I saw your write-up of DIY changing the tensioner in other 2 related threads. It’s really helpful and thanks for sharing your experience.

01E60FB9-796C-435B-8454-CE5D37479BB8.jpeg

I'm pretty sure the replacement I got was made in Slovakia.But still,how are they getting replaced under warranty?

I'm pretty sure the replacement I got was made in Slovakia.But still,how are they getting replaced under warranty?
From 2 long threads I looked, I believe CX-5um is the only one said his leaking tensioner in his Mazda6 got replaced under new-car bumper-to-bumper warranty at 17k miles.

Yeah recall the 2013 CX-5's tensioner at nearly 60k seems to be holding up. The CX-5 is simply a workhorse for us. The 2016 Mazda6 tensioner under 20k was leaking bad. Nevertheless one of the simplest things to inspect prior to the warranty expiring is this belt tensioner. Much props for this thread otherwise I would've spotted it much later and with a lighter wallet.

Thanks yrwei52.I was past the 3/36 warranty point.Wonder how this latest revision will hold up.Makes you feel like a "beta tester".So it goes.I LUV YOU Mazda !!

I pointed out that my tensioner leaking when my 2017 Mazda6 w/34k miles was getting something else worked on last month. The master tech said that it was just a small amount of leakage and that it was normal. So, I was unable to get it replaced under warranty (and I used to work there).

From 2 long threads I looked, I believe CX-5um is the only one said his leaking tensioner in his Mazda6 got replaced under new-car bumper-to-bumper warranty at 17k miles.

To clarify my 2016 Mazda6 at the time had a seeping water pump replaced under warranty.....since the tensioner was also leaking I complained to Mazda USA and they agreed to replace it (tensioner) too under warranty. Expect to get pushback from dealership.

Will leaking tensioner cause harm to other components?...I'm not sure but I did not want to take the chance. That said, I could've sworn somebody mentioned something about the tensioner having a tension spring inside and its filled with oil. I really want to know as well if the leakage is really something we should be concerned of. I mean, isn't the tension spring doing the real work?

2013 CX-5 still has the original tensioner and is not leaking. Since its a 2.0 engine there's much more room inside the engine bay for me to access it....I changed the "larger" belt (not water pump belt) as preventative maintenance last year or so. Assuming you slowly and patiently release tension and remove the belt out the way the tensioner is not difficult to replace. I removed it and then put it back for practice. I still have a new made in Slovania OEM Mazda PE03-15-980B as backup in my garage.

Access it from the front driver sidewall behind the front passenger wheel. Ample lighting and longer wrenches for leverage helps.

Will leaking tensioner cause harm to other components?...I'm not sure but I did not want to take the chance. That said, I could've sworn somebody mentioned something about the tensioner having a tension spring inside and its filled with oil. I really want to know as well if the leakage is really something we should be concerned of. I mean, isn't the tension spring doing the real work?

If the oil leaks out can it be replaced?

Does the leak prevent the tensioner from applying tension?

Back