Oil for 2021 Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv 2.5L Turbo

:
Ottawa, Ontario
:
17 Mazda 6 GT
Mazda calls for 5w-30 in the 2.5 NA for the rest of the world. It's only in the US and Canada that Mazda says use 0w-20. It's pretty much only for slightly better mpg
How does thinner oil generate better gas mileage?
I mean this 0w-20 stuff is pretty runny.
It seems to me (based on pure conjecture and no scientific data on my part) that oil this thin offers less protection than 5w-30, and possibly shortens the life of the engine over the long haul.

I remember a certain contributor from a few years ago (now banned) that swore his engine ran better on 5w-30. I might just go that route when I do my spring oil change later this month.

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto
0w-20 oils lower viscosity causes less internal drag on the engine. That’s what yields better gas mileage. My 2.0 L ‘13 with 88k miles doesn’t consume any oil yet. I’ll switch to 5w-30 if that starts to happen.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
0w-20 oils lower viscosity causes less internal drag on the engine. That’s what yields better gas mileage. My 2.0 L ‘13 with 88k miles doesn’t consume any oil yet. I’ll switch to 5w-30 if that starts to happen.
My 2016 CX-5 2.5L at 45K miles uses about ⅓ ~ ½ quart of oil at each oil change for 5.5K ~ 6.5K-mile interval. I’ll try GF-6 5W-30 oil if the oil consumption is getting worse.

Last edited:

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Does this help you? Sometimes the more we understand about an issue the better decisions we can make.

So based on the article, GF-6 oil is the way to go, as it will feature greater fuel economy、lower deposit buildup、and reduced timing-chain wear. Premature timing chain wear with thinner oil has been criticized often, hopefully the new GF-6 oil will correct that.

D023AEAC-F01F-41C6-8EA2-86C9621E5F0D.png

Latest posts