CX-5 Oil Filter Question

Tokyo Roki filters are unicorns only found on new factory built engines....and maybe a few dealers here and there. That said don't be surprised if you get something else in the mail :(

Here's a new TR Filter cut open recently: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...v-oe-tokyo-roki-cut-open.322462/#post-5345259

Edit...........I'm happy with the Thailand filters. I can save money for Ammo....wait lol
Yes I understand we may get something different from those eBay sellers. That’s why I emphasized contacting seller in advance making sure they’re really selling Japanese made Tokyo Roki oil filter with correct part number and pictures. You’ll never know, and that’s how I got my 23 Tokyo Roki oil filters from Med Center Mazda several years ago. :)

Tokyo Roki filters are unicorns only found on new factory built engines....and maybe a few dealers here and there. That said don't be surprised if you get something else in the mail :(

Here's a new TR Filter cut open recently: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...v-oe-tokyo-roki-cut-open.322462/#post-5345259

Edit...........I'm happy with the Thailand filters. I can save money for Ammo....wait lol
Some of those guys are nuts in that thread over there. One guy said "I'd actually tell your friend to drain whatever oil you put in and put the factory oil back in." because he thought the special break in oil was drained too soon.

Yes I understand we may get something different from those eBay sellers. That’s why I emphasized contacting seller in advance making sure they’re really selling Japanese made Tokyo Roki oil filter with correct part number and pictures. You’ll never know, and that’s how I got my 23 Tokyo Roki oil filters from Med Center Mazda several years ago. :)
You can retire if you sold a few of those filters for $$$ :unsure:

The market is probably too small for the japan filter, otherwise somebody might have tried to import them in bulk. :) I was thinking of bringing a bunch of those from Europe but it's too much effort when the Thai one is in the 6.50 usd (discounted) range in US.

Maybe the Japanese-made filter is only for the assembly line (now)?

It's common for an auto manufacturer to have a different spec for parts for the assembly line than for service parts (meaning dealer parts).

You can still buy them, just not in the US.
You still can get Japanese Tokyo Roki filters for sure from some eBay sellers although they may be shipped from other countries:

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

PE01-14-302B is the latest version Tokyo Roki filter which is used in factory for 2.5L, There’re guys here got this ”B” version from eBay which is never officially available in the US. If I had a 2.5T, I sure would contact the eBay sellers such as the one I mentioned in post #17 above, who show the Tokyo Roki part number PY8W-14-302, with pictures to prove it.

Is it really worth it to jump thru hoops to get the Toyko Roki filter vs other Mazda (or any good quality) filters.Would there really be a difference in measurable wear or reduced performance.I can't imagine the engine producing much in the way of harmful wear particles assuming good oil and reasonable change intervals.I'd be more concerned about using quality engine air filters and assuring no leaks in filter box or hose to throttle body or other sources of unfiltered air leaks.

short answer, No :)

I buy the Thai ones directly from dealers and so far no complaints. price is very good too. I also did 4x used oil analysis so far. No concerns. The Thai oem oil filter is very good quality

One should be more concerned about regular oil changes and changing air filters as needed, as you mentioned.

Is it really worth it to jump thru hoops to get the Toyko Roki filter vs other Mazda (or any good quality) filters.

Would there really be a difference in measurable wear or reduced performance.

I can't imagine the engine producing much in the way of harmful wear particles assuming good oil and reasonable change intervals.I'd be more concerned about using quality engine air filters and assuring no leaks in filter box or hose to throttle body or other sources of unfiltered air leaks.
I agree. I've never had any issues with oil filters, even cheap ones. I've never had an engine wear out or quit from lubrication problems. I get rid of cars for reasons other than engine failure.

I know filters probably vary in the quality of filtration. Maybe Mazda's higher pressure oiling system precludes the use of ultra fine filters. Makers of the premium filters like Fram Ultra, etc , don't make an oil pressure appropriate version specifically for the Skyactive. But I might not use them anyway because I change the oil so frequently.

I would think any of the Mazda filters a dealer supplies for use while under warranty does an adequate job, maybe more than adequate if you use high quality oil and change it frequently. I guess you have to be careful getting aftermarket filters that might fit the threads but not have the right specs.

Wix 57002 is made for Skyactive and I've had Wix recommended by more mechanics and shop people than any other brand. They have them at O'Reilly's and Autozone but not Walmart.

Is it really worth it to jump thru hoops to get the Toyko Roki filter vs other Mazda (or any good quality) filters.Would there really be a difference in measurable wear or reduced performance.I can't imagine the engine producing much in the way of harmful wear particles assuming good oil and reasonable change intervals.I'd be more concerned about using quality engine air filters and assuring no leaks in filter box or hose to throttle body or other sources of unfiltered air leaks.

Short answer, yes. No hoops to jump thru. Just a click away on eBay. Been there, done it.

I agree. I've never had any issues with oil filters, even cheap ones. I've never had an engine wear out or quit from lubrication problems. I get rid of cars for reasons other than engine failure.

I know filters probably vary in the quality of filtration. Maybe Mazda's higher pressure oiling system precludes the use of ultra fine filters. Makers of the premium filters like Fram Ultra, etc , don't make an oil pressure appropriate version specifically for the Skyactive. But I might not use them anyway because I change the oil so frequently.

I would think any of the Mazda filters a dealer supplies for use while under warranty does an adequate job, maybe more than adequate if you use high quality oil and change it frequently. I guess you have to be careful getting aftermarket filters that might fit the threads but not have the right specs.

Wix 57002 is made for Skyactive and I've had Wix recommended by more mechanics and shop people than any other brand. They have them at O'Reilly's and Autozone but not Walmart.

I used Wix 75002 for the last 4 oil changes now. I noticed they are actually getting harder to find at my nearest O'Reilly's. Then again I'm seeing more Mazdas in my area. What I liked about the Wix is that its white vs OEM matte black so a bit easier to see and clean. I wish the oil filter was on top!! The OEM Thailand filter has better internal construction.

They seem to be about the same price as the OEM. There's no Mazda dealer near me but a number of auto parts stores. I think NAPA also has Wix.

They seem to be about the same price as the OEM. There's no Mazda dealer near me but a number of auto parts stores. I think NAPA also has Wix.
If I had no Mazda dealers nearby, I’d use eBay to get OEM oil filters. Wix 57002 is made to meet exact Mazda’s SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L specs. But Wix now says its 57002 is also for 2.5T even though Mazda uses a different OEM oil filter. That’s why I personally do not want a Wix filter.

A long, long time ago, in 1978, I bought a brand new, first year, Dodge Omni. The engine was made by VW. It was a high pressure oil system and the OEM filter had a special bypass valve built in. When I did my own oil change, I used a VW oil filter which, unbeknownst to me, lacked such valve. I had to bring the car in for service one time and the service manager pointed all this out. He said that sure, the VW filter fit and would work fine. What he said next made me stop and think. He said suppose the oil filter caused a serious engine issue and you had the VW filter in instead of a Mopar filter. Wouldn't you rather that the repair be Mopar's responsibility instead of VW's? That is why I always use the correct OEM oil filter on my vehicles. BTW, been using the Thai filter for years now and zero issues - quality part!

You have a good point there regarding the OEM filter.I let the dealer do my oil changes for the first 6 years so as to minimize any warranty issues should an engine problem arise as well as it was just more convenient and not much more expensive than DIY .Since no longer any warranty,I did my first oil change myself a few months ago partly because I'm not paying 69.95 (w/ $10 off coupon) for bulk oil of their choice and a Mazda value line filter.They used to use the Mazda moly oil and a better filter and charged less.Now I change it for less than half of that price.

Has anyone seen the Mazda OEM filter cut open? It does not have a top or bottom plate. Not sure that this is good. Also, cellulose as the media is not the best you can get. I would say too that the Micron level is high and would cause wear on the engine.

Compare that to:

Which do you think is better?

Back