Oil filter - 2.5L Turbo

:
Mazda CX-5 GT Reserved
I have 5200 miles on my 2019 CX5 GT. I see Mazda part#PY8W-14-302 as the oil filter. I think I saw where
the turbo 2.5L has a different oil filter than the 2.5L non-turbo. Is that correct? Looking at possible other filters,
but not sure they fit: Mobil M1-M108A, NAPA FIL 7002. First oil change (5w-30)
Thanks for input.

If you go to your dealer, make sure they know the difference between the turbo and non turbo oil and filter requirements.
I've heard a few stories of uneducated or just plain stupid techs and service advisors that slap on the non turbo filter and 0w-20 oil. Some of them just don't care.

I have 5200 miles on my 2019 CX5 GT. I see Mazda part#PY8W-14-302 as the oil filter. I think I saw where
the turbo 2.5L has a different oil filter than the 2.5L non-turbo. Is that correct? Looking at possible other filters,
but not sure they fit: Mobil M1-M108A, NAPA FIL 7002. First oil change (5w-30)
Thanks for input.
So you have a 2019 CX5 GT, and it has a 2.5L Turbo???

Those aftermarket oil filters such as Mobil M1-M108A are one-size-fit-all and claimed to fit both 2.5L and 2.5T, in the mean time there’re 2 different OEM oil filters for these 2 engines. Use only OEM oil filters.

That's what I was thinking. Shame you can't trust these cross reference charts and oil filter websites. Looks like OEM is the way to go; thanks.

It's too bad that we don't know if the ADB valve calibration of some aftermarket filters is the same as the Mazda OEM filters. Top of the line filters like the Mobil 1 or Fram Ultra are good enough to go up to 15,000 miles. I used the Fram Ultra on my Nissan 370Z with Redline synthetic oil and changed the oil every 5000 miles but only changed the filter every other time. It would be nice to use the same procedure with my CX 5 Turbo engine.

PY8W-14-302 has been superseded by 1WPY-14-302....BUT PY8W-14-302-MV is claimed to be specifically for 2.5L Turbos and is available from some online parts suppliers.

PY8W-14-302 has been superseded by 1WPY-14-302......... and is available from some online parts suppliers.

Doubtful any online parts suppliers are actively SHIPPING PY8W-14-302. If you find a vendor that SHIPS PY8W-14-302 please let the class know.

PY8W-14-302 has been superseded by 1WPY-14-302....BUT PY8W-14-302-MV is claimed to be specifically for 2.5L Turbos and is available from some online parts suppliers.
Yeah the PY8W-14-302-MV is “Value Product” and I believe it’s made in Mexico. It’s like Mexican made “Value Product” PE01-14-302A-MV to defunct Tokyo Roki Japanese PE01-14-302A for 2.5L. I’d pay a couple of bucks more for Thai made Denso 1WPY-14-302 oil filter which definitely has better quality.

This’s one way Mazda can let their dealers make a bit more money as these dealers will use cheaper “Value Product” oil filter for the oil change on 2.5T, in the mean time their charge is still the same as before. Insist OEM Denso oil filter even if you have to pay more.

Doubtful any online parts suppliers are actively SHIPPING PY8W-14-302. If you find a vendor that SHIPS PY8W-14-302 please let the class know.
MazdaSwag sells PY8W-14-302-MV for $4.96...MazdaGear for $4.36. But now that I know they are made in Mexico I'll pass on that.

So I just changed my oil for the first time on my 2020 CX5 GTR.
I purchased an oil filter from my local Mazda dealer and they gave me the one made in Mexico.
How screwed am I?

Also, he gave me the PE01-14-302A-mv. Is this not the correct filter for the turbo?

Last edited:
So I just changed my oil for the first time on my 2020 CX5 GTR.
I purchased an oil filter from my local Mazda dealer and they gave me the one made in Mexico.
How screwed am I?

Also, he gave me the PE01-14-302A-mv. Is this not the correct filter for the turbo?
You installed a wrong oil filter. The oil filter PE01-14-302A-MV you got is for the 2.5L, not the 2.5T. Since you changed the oil the fist time, the oil filter from factory is Japanese Tokyo Roki PY8W-14-302. The current OEM oil filter for 2.5T available from Mazda dealers in the US is Thai made Denso 1WPY-14-302, and Mexican made PY8W-14-302-MV. You should get at least PY8W-14-302-MV as a cheaper “Value Products” OEM maintenance parts. I personally would get another 1WPY-14-302 from a Mazda dealer or an online store and replace the wrong oil filter you just installed. Add 0.5 ~ 0.7 quart of fresh oil you used for oil change, and recheck the oil level hot or cold. I’d always make sure the oil level is at the Max mark of the dipstick after each oil change for bigger safety margins.

BTW, how much fresh oil did you put in for oil change? And what kind of oil do you use?

You installed a wrong oil filter. The oil filter PE01-14-302A-MV you got is for the 2.5L, not the 2.5T. Since you changed the oil the fist time, the oil filter from factory is Japanese Tokyo Roki PY8W-14-302. The current OEM oil filter for 2.5T available from Mazda dealers in the US is Thai made Denso 1WPY-14-302, and Mexican made PY8W-14-302-MV. You should get at least PY8W-14-302-MV as a cheaper “Value Products” OEM maintenance parts. I personally would get another 1WPY-14-302 from a Mazda dealer or an online store and replace the wrong oil filter you just installed. Add 0.5 ~ 0.7 quart of fresh oil you used for oil change, and recheck the oil level hot or cold. I’d always make sure the oil level is at the Max mark of the dipstick after each oil change for bigger safety margins.

BTW, how much fresh oil did you put in for oil change? And what kind of oil do you use?
Thanks
I put in 5 quarts of Idemitsu 5w-30 full synthetic. It reads slightly closer to the max mark on the dipstick.
I guess I'll order another filter.

Thanks
I put in 5 quarts of Idemitsu 5w-30 full synthetic. It reads slightly closer to the max mark on the dipstick.
I guess I'll order another filter.
If I were you I’d complain to the parts guy who gave me the wrong filter. Ask for 1WPY-14-302 Thai oil filter which has better quality than MV filter and costs not much more.

Owner’s manual says you need 5.1 quarts for oil and filter change on 2.5T. Many found you actually need 5.5 quarts to get to the Max mark. You need some more Idemitsu 5w-30 SP/GF-6 oil if you ever decide to replace the wrong oil filter.

BTW, can you monitor the fuel economy and let us know after you switched to Idemitsu 5W-30 SP/GF-6 oil as Idemitsu claims the oil can be up to 24% improved fuel economy!

If I were you I’d complain to the parts guy who gave me the wrong filter. Ask for 1WPY-14-302 Thai oil filter which has better quality than MV filter and costs not much more.

Owner’s manual says you need 5.1 quarts for oil and filter change on 2.5T. Many found you actually need 5.5 quarts to get to the Max mark. You need some more Idemitsu 5w-30 SP/GF-6 oil if you ever decide to replace the wrong oil filter.

BTW, can you monitor the fuel economy and let us know after you switched to Idemitsu 5W-30 SP/GF-6 oil as Idemitsu claims the oil can be up to 24% improved fuel economy!
Yes, I will monitor fuel economy. Was previously getting 24.5mpg.

I just tried calling the dealership but no answer. I'll try again.

I know I should have been more aware of what part number I needed, but I am a little disappointed that he didn't confirm with me whether it was for a turbo or non-turbo. I saw that when he opened the cabinet to grab the oil filter there only seemed to be one type of filter (PE01-14-302A-mv) because they were all only wrapped in plastic (no box) and he literally didn't even look when he grabbed it, just stuck his hand in there and grabbed the first one he touched. He also seemed to be in a bad mood (I heard him grumbling to a co-worker before he came over to help me).

Yes, I will monitor fuel economy. Was previously getting 24.5mpg.

I just tried calling the dealership but no answer. I'll try again.

I know I should have been more aware of what part number I needed, but I am a little disappointed that he didn't confirm with me whether it was for a turbo or non-turbo. I saw that when he opened the cabinet to grab the oil filter there only seemed to be one type of filter (PE01-14-302A-mv) because they were all only wrapped in plastic (no box) and he literally didn't even look when he grabbed it, just stuck his hand in there and grabbed the first one he touched. He also seemed to be in a bad mood (I heard him grumbling to a co-worker before he came over to help me).
Not surprised. I wonder how many 2.5T owners got wrong oil filter installed from dealer’s oil change ⋯ :rolleyes:

There’s at least one member here who was careful enough to check the part number on the invoice and found the Mazda dealer has put wrong oil filter on his 2.5T.

Or just order OEM maintenance parts online and DIY.

Not surprised. I wonder how many 2.5T owners got wrong oil filter installed from dealer’s oil change ⋯ :rolleyes:

There’s at least one member here who was careful enough to check the part number on the invoice and found the Mazda dealer has put wrong oil filter on his 2.5T.

Or just order OEM maintenance parts online and DIY.
Yea, it's a shame.

What is the consequence of having the wrong oil filter installed (PE01-14-302A vs. 1WPY-14-302)?

Back