Oil change - Date is up, but miles aren't

:
Mazda CX-9 GT
I have been regularly getting oil changes (and other services as applicable) on my 2016 CX-9 GT every 5000 miles. Due to the reduction in driving last 14 months, I have only had one oil change. The service is due as per the date, but only 3000 miles since last oil change.

So, now I am wondering if I should get the oil changed now or wait for another 2000 miles?

Current odometer reading: 53000 miles

What do you guys normally do? Get the oil change when the the date is due, or miles are up-whichever comes first, or whichever comes later?

The rule is whichever comes first. The idea is that low utilization is typically due to short trips which result in more cold starts, more time spent with the engine warming up, and less time with the engine at full operating temperature. All these shorten oil life.

I don’t know about your particular car, but the general rule of thumb is to change oil at least annually.

- Mark

I don't drive much anymore either, so I've gone the once-a-year route, regardless of miles driven.
Seems to work out just fine.

If the engine is still under warranty follow the schedule. If the warranty has expired you can be more flexible. It the low mileage is due to many short trips where the engine isn't run long at full operating temperature, change the oil. If the low mileage is due to a few longer trips and lots of days the car wasn't driven the oil is likely still good. There is no one-year-cliff for oil life. It can remain good for a few years in the sump if it isn't driven much. It isn't worth a $30 analysis every time the year is up, but maybe once to establish a pattern of oil condition would be worth it.

Back