Oil and oil filter for 2018 2.0 Skyactiv-G AT

Thanks for the heads up on using the Mazda oil filters.I'll check to see if the Mobil 1 filter set any codes.I remember seeing somewhere that the Mobil 1 was one of the few compatible aftermarket filters.I believe Wix was the first to make one.

I tried the value line wiper blades (that's all the dealer stocked but could order the original one's at some ridiculous price) and they sucked.Didn't last too long.
I plan to get OEM rubber inserts for my factory wipers for lower cost and good performance when I need them.

Thanks for the heads up on using the Mazda oil filters.I'll check to see if the Mobil 1 filter set any codes.I remember seeing somewhere that the Mobil 1 was one of the few compatible aftermarket filters.I believe Wix was the first to make one.
I haven’t seen any after-market oil filters other than Wix 57002 claiming their filter is made to meet exact Mazda’s SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L specs. But Wix now say its 57002 is also for 2.5T even though Mazda uses different OEM oil filter. Mobil 1™ Extended Performance Oil Filter M1-108A is said for SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L, and 1.5L, but also for many engines from Hyundai、Kia、Infiniti、Nissan、and Subaru. At least Mobil 1 website now took the Mazda 2.5T out of the M1-108A application which was there before.

So far I’ve read a couple of posts claimed switching to OEM oil filter fixed some problem of his, and sweared he’d use only OEM oil filter afterwards. One of them was a mechanic.

I haven’t seen any after-market oil filters other than Wix 57002 claiming their filter is made to meet exact Mazda’s SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L specs. But Wix now say its 57002 is also for 2.5T even though Mazda uses different OEM oil filter. Mobil 1™ Extended Performance Oil Filter M1-108A is said for SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L, and 1.5L, but also for many engines from Hyundai、Kia、Infiniti、Nissan、and Subaru. At least Mobil 1 website now took the Mazda 2.5T out of the M1-108A application which was there before.

So far I’ve read a couple of posts claimed switching to OEM oil filter fixed some problem of his, and sweared he’d use only OEM oil filter afterwards. One of them was a mechanic.
Thanks for the info.I just checked and my little scanner (Launch Creader V+) shows no DTC's.My oil change was about 2 months and 1400 miles ago so I'm not too concerned at the moment.Gotta love this "special Mazda oil filter,special Mazda spark plugs, etc" stuff.

Thanks for the info.I just checked and my little scanner (Launch Creader V+) shows no DTC's.My oil change was about 2 months and 1400 miles ago so I'm not too concerned at the moment.Gotta love this "special Mazda oil filter,special Mazda spark plugs, etc" stuff.
I doesn’t think using any after-market oil filters would cause any DTC’s easily either, unless the filter’s specs are way out of the ranges from OEM’s.

Is $70 the USD or Euro? Is it for 1-liter bottle or 5-liter container?

Just for price comparison, Motul 8100 Eco-lite 0W-20 oil in 5-liter container (5.28344 quarts) sells for $35.15 USD at US Amazon website with free shipping!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Okay that's cool. $40 incl. shipping to the Netherlands. Does take a while though. The "old" current oil is 12 months old now and we drove 7500 miles with it. The Motul oil is good quality right? I don't know the brand that well ;-)

Shipping from USA does take some time:
Arrives between Aug. 28 - Sept. 15.

Okay that's cool. $40 incl. shipping to the Netherlands. Does take a while though. The "old" current oil is 12 months old now and we drove 7500 miles with it. The Motul oil is good quality right? I don't know the brand that well ;-)

Shipping from USA does take some time:
Arrives between Aug. 28 - Sept. 15.
It’s funny that Motul oil is considered a name brand in Europe, and imported into the USA (that Motul 8100 ECO-lite 0W-20 synthetic oil selling at US Amazon website is in a metric 5-liter container, so it has to be packaged in the Europe). But the price difference for a same product is so substantial between 2 continents. Now you have to import the same product made in Europe back to the Netherlands and save big money!

Let us know where this
Motul 8100 ECO-lite 0W-20 synthetic oil is made when you receive the product.

BTW, I have seen Mazda CX-5 shop manual that says to use 5W-30 oil everywhere in the world other than in the USA. That’s why I’d consider 5W-30 oil if I were you. Check oil level after the oil change with Motul 8100 ECO-lite 0W-20, making sure your engine doesn’t consume oil with 0W-20. If it does, you should switch to 5W-30 for next oil change.

That’s why I’d consider 5W-30 oil if I were you.

Everyone here in the Netherlands uses 0W-20 as far as I recon, the old Mazda CX-5 we had also ran on 0W-20.. and it's the main oil they recommend in our manual.

So to summarize you're not recommending it to me? I'm still not sure whether to buy this Motul oil or not..

Everyone here in the Netherlands uses 0W-20 as far as I recon, the old Mazda CX-5 we had also ran on 0W-20.. and it's the main oil they recommend in our manual.

So to summarize you're not recommending it to me? I'm still not sure whether to buy this Motul oil or not..
Motul is an excellent oil but not popular in the USA. I wouldn’t hesitate to use it. About oil viscosity using 0W-20 should be fine, as long as you take some time checking the oil level after thousands of km’s to verify your 2.0L doesn’t have oil consumption issue with 0W-20 oil.

Just wanting to share my experience with the 2.0 Skyactiv-G, although in a CX-3 but it's still the same engine.

My Mazda dealer, who services my car uses a Q8 5W-30 A5/B5 oil and so far that hasn't caused any issues at all with oil changes every 20,000 km and I've just passed 160,000 km.

It doesn't use any significant amount of oil only going down to the halfway point between min and max during those 20,000 km.

As I'm in Denmark conditions should be comparable to the Netherlands.

I have used both 0w20 and 5w30. I sometimes cruise the interstate 10hrs a day @ 70-80 mph and I live in a warm area so I have settled on 5w30. 0w20 might be a little better in colder climates with short trips but a high quality synthetic 0w20 can also tolerate high temperatures. If I were to use a cheaper oil I would change it more frequently.

Back