Oil and oil filter for 2018 2.0 Skyactiv-G AT

:
Mazda CX-5 2.0 TS+ Soul Red
Morning Everyone,

This is probably topic #482 and a little bit over that about oil filter and oil.

We used to own a 2014 Mazda CX-5 2.0 MT and 6 months ago we upgraded to a 2018 Mazda CX-5 AT.

Two simple questions:
Does this engine still take Castrol Edge Professional V 0W20, I've been happy with that oil and would like to continue to use it.

-edit-
I just did the Castrol Oil selector and it came up with "EDGE 5W-30 M". That's the wrong viscosity? Also I just now realised the oil I've been using is for "Volvos", and does not even meet Mazda criteria (API SN or ACEA A5/B5). The "regular EDGE 0W20" is not sold in the Netherlands.

#2:
A Mazda dealer close to where I lived has shut down. There's another one on the way to my work but when I went up to them for an oil filter they said, send us an e-mail and we'll get you an oil filter. That way I don't know which one I'm getting (Thailand, Mexico, Japan). I feel like I'm overthinking this. What oil filter does this engine take? Preferably original. One way of finding out is checking which one is on it right now ofcourse.

With kind regards,
Someone worrying too much probably :)

Last edited:
Morning Everyone,

This is probably topic #482 and a little bit over that about oil filter and oil.

We used to own a 2014 Mazda CX-5 2.0 MT and 6 months ago we upgraded to a 2018 Mazda CX-5 AT.

Two simple questions:
Does this engine still take Castrol Edge Professional V 0W20, I've been happy with that oil and would like to continue to use it.

-edit-
I just did the Castrol Oil selector and it came up with "EDGE 5W-30 M". That's the wrong viscosity? Also I just now realised the oil I've been using is for "Volvos", and does not even meet Mazda criteria (API SN or ACEA A5/B5). The "regular EDGE 0W20" is not sold in the Netherlands.

#2:
A Mazda dealer close to where I lived has shut down. There's another one on the way to my work but when I went up to them for an oil filter they said, send us an e-mail and we'll get you an oil filter. That way I don't know which one I'm getting (Thailand, Mexico, Japan). I feel like I'm overthinking this. What oil filter does this engine take? Preferably original. One way of finding out is checking which one is on it right now ofcourse.

With kind regards,
Someone worrying too much probably :)
Here are engine oil viscosity charts for Mazda’s SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L and SkyActiv-D 2.2L used in Europe and worldwide:

3C98E021-31AB-4C37-A49C-5698C826C429.jpeg

77003921-CB1F-47D1-B77E-E309DA0F033A.jpeg

And here are part numbers for OEM oil filters on SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L:

OEM Mazda
SkyActiv Oil Filters
PE01-14-302A;
PE01-14-302B
Made in Japan by Tokyo Roki with the best quality.
Comes with greased O-ring type gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on top preventing dust、
and packaged in a sealed paper box.
No longer available in the USA.
1WPE-14-302Made in Thailand by Denso.
Smaller in outside diameter than PE01-14-302A.
Comes with greased O-ring type gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on top preventing dust、
and packaged in a non-sealed paper box.
PE01-14-302A-MVMade in Mexico.
Comes with non-greased flat gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on entire filter、
and no paper box.

So in your situation in the Netherlands, you can use Castrol Edge 5W-30 if 0W-20 is not available as long as it meets or exceeds API SN or ACEA A5/B5. Castrol Edge 5W-30 should meet such standard and actually 5W-30 is my preferred viscosity than 0W-20 on my SkyActiv-G 2.5L.

Thanks yrwei52 I'll send an e-mail to the dealer if I can get any of those parts.
VQ35DE, it's tough for me to get those to the Netherlands. Also I'd like to change oil really quickly now. It's already too late in my opinion..

Looks like Mobil1 AFE 0w20 is a good option here in the Netherlands. Will this oil do?

True but the Japan filter is worth the additional cost over the Thailand and Mexico made filters. (To me anyway). I have held and inspected all three many times. Not even close.

Thanks yrwei52 I'll send an e-mail to the dealer if I can get any of those parts.
VQ35DE, it's tough for me to get those to the Netherlands. Also I'd like to change oil really quickly now. It's already too late in my opinion..

Looks like Mobil1 AFE 0w20 is a good option here in the Netherlands. Will this oil do?
Looks like the temperature varies from 2°C ~ 22°C year round in the Netherlands. Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20 definitely is a good oil to use. Since the flexible oil change interval used in Europe usually is very long many times it exceeds 10,000 miles, make sure to change this Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 oil before 10,000 miles of usage like Mobil 1 suggested.

True but the Japan filter is worth the additional cost over the Thailand and Mexico made filters. (To me anyway). I have held and inspected all three many times. Not even close.
I thought I’m the only one bought all 3 different OEM oil filters and doing the comparison? ;) Yeah the top choice for me among the 3 is the Japanese made Tokyo Roki filter. And that’s why I bought 23 of it 4 years ago. But honestly I wouldn’t hesitate to use Thai made (Nippon) Denso filter as Denso is a Japanese company with 40% Toyota shares. The quality on Denso filter looks excellent and the price is significant lower than Tokyo Roki filter in the US right now as Mazda North American Operations only want to import Thai and Mexican filters for cost reason. Those latest “B” version Tokyo Roki Japanese oil filters selling on the eBay are imported by those sellers themselves, or ships from other countries, hence the cost is higher.

Yea shipping is the extra cost. You cleaned out MedCenterMazda.com didn't you ? Wise man !
Yes I did clear out all the Japanese oil filters from Med Center Mazda when I found out it’s going to be discounted by MNAO. The Tokyo Roki “B” version oil filter on your eBay link is shipped from Sharjah, United Arab Emirates. No wonder the shipping is $14.80 for the first one!

Hi Guys,

I went to the Mazda dealer and got the "PE01-14-302B-9A" filter from Japan! Happy with that. Including the ring it cost me $22,89

So now I'm down to this oil

Edit: I nowsee this is API-SP instead of API-SN, is that an issue?
It's API-SN API API-SP, readily available to me and 0w20 synthetic. Price is $70 which is normal in the Netherlands.

I also asked the dealer for "original Mazda oil" which comes up at $146.

My other option is staying with the "Volvo" "Castrol Edge Professional V 0W20". Could someone help me decide which is better? Castrol A1/B1 0w20 or Motul.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I went to the Mazda dealer and got the "PE01-14-302B-9A" filter from Japan! Happy with that. Including the ring it cost me $22,89

So now I'm down to this oil

It's API-SN API API-SP, readily available to me and 0w20 synthetic. Price is $70 which is normal in the Netherlands.

My other option is staying with the "Volvo" "Castrol Edge Professional V 0W20". Could someone help me decide which is better? Castrol A1/B1 0w20 or Motul.
PE01-14-302B-9A is the PE01-14-302B mentioned above in the table which is the current version of Tokyo Roki filter for Mazda and installed in the factory. Apparently Mazda in Europe or Mazda in Netherlands is willing to import more expensive Japanese made oil filters as vehicles and parts prices usually are high anyway in Europe.

Europe usually has newer oil specifications coming out earlier than the US. API SP is one step newer than API SN, hence it exceeds Mazda’s API SN requirement. Use it with no hesitation.

Either Castrol Edge 0W-20 or Motul 8100 Eco-lite 0W-20 should be fine for your CX-5. It’s really your personal preference and how much money you’d want to spend.

Is $70 the USD or Euro? Is it for 1-liter bottle or 5-liter container?

Just for price comparison, Motul 8100 Eco-lite 0W-20 oil in 5-liter container (5.28344 quarts) sells for $35.15 USD at US Amazon website with free shipping!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I don't think the OEM Mazda filters are all that "sacred",especially since the dealer who has done my oil changes until recently changed to the MV economy version.When I recently changed my oil I used a Mobil 1 filter.It's a quality filter that can be had for about $10 +/- and probably will continue to use.Probably not Wix if they went to China and Purolator was garbage last time I looked.I took advantage of an Advance Auto sale and paid about $34 for a 5 qt jug of Castrol Edge 0w-20 and a Mobil 1 filter and the CX-5 sure runs smooth and sweet on that oil.

I don't think the OEM Mazda filters are all that "sacred",especially since the dealer who has done my oil changes until recently changed to the MV economy version.When I recently changed my oil I used a Mobil 1 filter.It's a quality filter that can be had for about $10 +/- and probably will continue to use.Probably not Wix if they went to China and Purolator was garbage last time I looked.I took advantage of an Advance Auto sale and paid about $34 for a 5 qt jug of Castrol Edge 0w-20 and a Mobil 1 filter and the CX-5 sure runs smooth and sweet on that oil.
The reason why I don't use Mobil 1 oil filter is that the Mobil 1 oil filer (or many other after-market oil filters) is one-size-fit-all, and listed to be used on SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L、2.5T、and older 1.5L used in Mazda2, whereas Mazda has 3 different OEM oil filters with different specs for these engines.

Skyactiv Oil Filters

Here is one MNAO PDF to their US Mazda Dealers concerning genuine Oil Filter(s) installation and use for ALL SA Engines..
Mazda Dealers (in USA particularly) are also seeing stored DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes in PCM) when they use even 'other' genuine Mazda oil filters in Skyactiv engines, see pic, they look identical, but it is what is inside.

D2F4E60A-92C0-42AC-A939-F8A84B0A0A2B.jpeg

Yes, most EU countries dealers have the japanese filter. The A and B versions.
You can't even choose another if you go to the official dealer to buy parts.
USA is a different story as we know it.

Motul is a very good oil and quite popular in Europe by the way. Can't go wrong with it.

The MV version is not just economy, it is a cheap filter no matter how you look at it.
Agreed. In fact, all Mazda OEM MV maintenance parts, oil filters、engine air filters、cabin air filters、brake pads、wiper blades, are not up to the expected Mazda regular OEM parts standard. I always buy regular OEM maintenance parts even though they’re more expensive. I guess MV maintenance parts are to be used by Mazda dealers to make customers feel they got genuine Mazda parts for the service, in the mean time Mazda dealers can have more profit by using those cheaper MV parts.

Last edited:
I tried the value line wiper blades (that's all the dealer stocked but could order the original one's at some ridiculous price) and they sucked.Didn't last too long.

Back