Oil and oil filter for 2018 2.0 Skyactiv-G AT

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
BTW, I have seen Mazda CX-5 shop manual that says to use 5W-30 oil everywhere in the world other than in the USA. That’s why I’d consider 5W-30 oil if I were you. Check oil level after the oil change with Motul 8100 ECO-lite 0W-20, making sure your engine doesn’t consume oil with 0W-20. If it does, you should switch to 5W-30 for next oil change.

:
Mazda CX-5 2.0 TS+ Soul Red
That’s why I’d consider 5W-30 oil if I were you.

Everyone here in the Netherlands uses 0W-20 as far as I recon, the old Mazda CX-5 we had also ran on 0W-20.. and it's the main oil they recommend in our manual.

So to summarize you're not recommending it to me? I'm still not sure whether to buy this Motul oil or not..

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Everyone here in the Netherlands uses 0W-20 as far as I recon, the old Mazda CX-5 we had also ran on 0W-20.. and it's the main oil they recommend in our manual.

So to summarize you're not recommending it to me? I'm still not sure whether to buy this Motul oil or not..
Motul is an excellent oil but not popular in the USA. I wouldn’t hesitate to use it. About oil viscosity using 0W-20 should be fine, as long as you take some time checking the oil level after thousands of km’s to verify your 2.0L doesn’t have oil consumption issue with 0W-20 oil.

:
Denmark
:
CX-3 Optimum Aut.
Just wanting to share my experience with the 2.0 Skyactiv-G, although in a CX-3 but it's still the same engine.

My Mazda dealer, who services my car uses a Q8 5W-30 A5/B5 oil and so far that hasn't caused any issues at all with oil changes every 20,000 km and I've just passed 160,000 km.

It doesn't use any significant amount of oil only going down to the halfway point between min and max during those 20,000 km.

As I'm in Denmark conditions should be comparable to the Netherlands.

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
I have used both 0w20 and 5w30. I sometimes cruise the interstate 10hrs a day @ 70-80 mph and I live in a warm area so I have settled on 5w30. 0w20 might be a little better in colder climates with short trips but a high quality synthetic 0w20 can also tolerate high temperatures. If I were to use a cheaper oil I would change it more frequently.