Oil and oil filter for 2018 2.0 Skyactiv-G AT

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
I don't think the OEM Mazda filters are all that "sacred",especially since the dealer who has done my oil changes until recently changed to the MV economy version.When I recently changed my oil I used a Mobil 1 filter.It's a quality filter that can be had for about $10 +/- and probably will continue to use.Probably not Wix if they went to China and Purolator was garbage last time I looked.I took advantage of an Advance Auto sale and paid about $34 for a 5 qt jug of Castrol Edge 0w-20 and a Mobil 1 filter and the CX-5 sure runs smooth and sweet on that oil.
The reason why I don't use Mobil 1 oil filter is that the Mobil 1 oil filer (or many other after-market oil filters) is one-size-fit-all, and listed to be used on SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L、2.5T、and older 1.5L used in Mazda2, whereas Mazda has 3 different OEM oil filters with different specs for these engines.

Skyactiv Oil Filters

Here is one MNAO PDF to their US Mazda Dealers concerning genuine Oil Filter(s) installation and use for ALL SA Engines..
Mazda Dealers (in USA particularly) are also seeing stored DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes in PCM) when they use even 'other' genuine Mazda oil filters in Skyactiv engines, see pic, they look identical, but it is what is inside.

D2F4E60A-92C0-42AC-A939-F8A84B0A0A2B.jpeg

:
CX5 GT
Yes, most EU countries dealers have the japanese filter. The A and B versions.
You can't even choose another if you go to the official dealer to buy parts.
USA is a different story as we know it.

Motul is a very good oil and quite popular in Europe by the way. Can't go wrong with it.

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
The MV version is not just economy, it is a cheap filter no matter how you look at it.
Agreed. In fact, all Mazda OEM MV maintenance parts, oil filters、engine air filters、cabin air filters、brake pads、wiper blades, are not up to the expected Mazda regular OEM parts standard. I always buy regular OEM maintenance parts even though they’re more expensive. I guess MV maintenance parts are to be used by Mazda dealers to make customers feel they got genuine Mazda parts for the service, in the mean time Mazda dealers can have more profit by using those cheaper MV parts.

Last edited:
:
2014 mazda cx-5 touring FWD
I tried the value line wiper blades (that's all the dealer stocked but could order the original one's at some ridiculous price) and they sucked.Didn't last too long.

:
Thanks for the heads up on using the Mazda oil filters.I'll check to see if the Mobil 1 filter set any codes.I remember seeing somewhere that the Mobil 1 was one of the few compatible aftermarket filters.I believe Wix was the first to make one.

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
I tried the value line wiper blades (that's all the dealer stocked but could order the original one's at some ridiculous price) and they sucked.Didn't last too long.
I plan to get OEM rubber inserts for my factory wipers for lower cost and good performance when I need them.

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Thanks for the heads up on using the Mazda oil filters.I'll check to see if the Mobil 1 filter set any codes.I remember seeing somewhere that the Mobil 1 was one of the few compatible aftermarket filters.I believe Wix was the first to make one.
I haven’t seen any after-market oil filters other than Wix 57002 claiming their filter is made to meet exact Mazda’s SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L specs. But Wix now say its 57002 is also for 2.5T even though Mazda uses different OEM oil filter. Mobil 1™ Extended Performance Oil Filter M1-108A is said for SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L, and 1.5L, but also for many engines from Hyundai、Kia、Infiniti、Nissan、and Subaru. At least Mobil 1 website now took the Mazda 2.5T out of the M1-108A application which was there before.

So far I’ve read a couple of posts claimed switching to OEM oil filter fixed some problem of his, and sweared he’d use only OEM oil filter afterwards. One of them was a mechanic.

:
I haven’t seen any after-market oil filters other than Wix 57002 claiming their filter is made to meet exact Mazda’s SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L specs. But Wix now say its 57002 is also for 2.5T even though Mazda uses different OEM oil filter. Mobil 1™ Extended Performance Oil Filter M1-108A is said for SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L, and 1.5L, but also for many engines from Hyundai、Kia、Infiniti、Nissan、and Subaru. At least Mobil 1 website now took the Mazda 2.5T out of the M1-108A application which was there before.

So far I’ve read a couple of posts claimed switching to OEM oil filter fixed some problem of his, and sweared he’d use only OEM oil filter afterwards. One of them was a mechanic.
Thanks for the info.I just checked and my little scanner (Launch Creader V+) shows no DTC's.My oil change was about 2 months and 1400 miles ago so I'm not too concerned at the moment.Gotta love this "special Mazda oil filter,special Mazda spark plugs, etc" stuff.

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Thanks for the info.I just checked and my little scanner (Launch Creader V+) shows no DTC's.My oil change was about 2 months and 1400 miles ago so I'm not too concerned at the moment.Gotta love this "special Mazda oil filter,special Mazda spark plugs, etc" stuff.
I doesn’t think using any after-market oil filters would cause any DTC’s easily either, unless the filter’s specs are way out of the ranges from OEM’s.

:
Mazda CX-5 2.0 TS+ Soul Red
Is $70 the USD or Euro? Is it for 1-liter bottle or 5-liter container?

Just for price comparison, Motul 8100 Eco-lite 0W-20 oil in 5-liter container (5.28344 quarts) sells for $35.15 USD at US Amazon website with free shipping!

Motul 8100 ECO-lite 0W-20 Synthetic Oil 5 Liters (108536)

Okay that's cool. $40 incl. shipping to the Netherlands. Does take a while though. The "old" current oil is 12 months old now and we drove 7500 miles with it. The Motul oil is good quality right? I don't know the brand that well ;-)

Shipping from USA does take some time:
Arrives between Aug. 28 - Sept. 15.

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Okay that's cool. $40 incl. shipping to the Netherlands. Does take a while though. The "old" current oil is 12 months old now and we drove 7500 miles with it. The Motul oil is good quality right? I don't know the brand that well ;-)

Shipping from USA does take some time:
Arrives between Aug. 28 - Sept. 15.
It’s funny that Motul oil is considered a name brand in Europe, and imported into the USA (that Motul 8100 ECO-lite 0W-20 synthetic oil selling at US Amazon website is in a metric 5-liter container, so it has to be packaged in the Europe). But the price difference for a same product is so substantial between 2 continents. Now you have to import the same product made in Europe back to the Netherlands and save big money!

Let us know where this
Motul 8100 ECO-lite 0W-20 synthetic oil is made when you receive the product.