OEM roof rails improperly installed by dealer

I wouldn't worry unless the dealer tech is completely incompetent. They're really easy to install.

I wouldn't worry unless the dealer tech is completely incompetent. They're really easy to install.

Dealer tech? You're joking, right? with 6 bolts on each side you think their lot jockey, um, I mean 'tech', cares if he strips thread a couple. Yes, it's an easy install, but it's also easy to cross thread them

Last edited:
I'm having them installed two days from now at Mazda. Sure hope they do it right.
Make a copy of the picture, show it to them, and tell the dealer you would like it to lay flat. Afterall, it is you CX5 and you are paying them to install.

Someone posted that the bolts show rust. I looked at mine and they too show rust. Ask them what you should put on them to avoid the rust and let us know.

Thanks.

I usually DIY on all the accessories, which I bought online. Fun projects for weekend. Port installers usually do it right since they do lots of them. Installer at the dealers? Not so sure.

If anyone cares I finally fixed this myself this evening. Someone mentioned in this thread that the heads use a T-25 torx but they actually require a T-30 torx. I only needed to loosen the back 2 screws to get enough space to slip the rubber back under how it should have been to begin with.

Someone suggested replacing the bolts with stainless hardware. That might be a good idea if they are rusty.

I think mine are 10mm hex head but the thread is M6 so they are readily available at Home depot or Lowe's as well as auto parts stores.

Your link ain't workin'.

I'm a member of that forum and I don't remember seeing any discussion of HF torque wrenches.

In any case, a $10 tool is a $10 tool. I choose to spend a lil more and get something that I can trust.
Been a member for about 20 years, and it's been discussed ad nauseum. Many members with access to calibration machines, including airplane mechanics, have reported that the HF torque wrenches are remarkably accurate, and maintain that over time if properly cared for.

The caution when using the 1/4" drive wrench is that the release to let you know when you've reached torque is very subtle and easy to miss if you're moving quickly.

I rebuilt my Miata engine in 2013 using HF torque wrenches. It's still running perfectly 20k+ miles later, so I guess they weren't too bad. ;)

But, it's your money and I will never tell someone they're wrong spending money on better tools. :) Better tools are always, well, better. But the HF torque wrenches have proved their value, especially for those who only need them very occasionally.

I got mine today, purchased from and installed at Mazda dealership. Installation looks fine to me but what do I know...

50216269292_77c2b20ce1_c.jpg

They look even, and if they aren't loose I think they're good.

I can see the little holes for the crossbars. Are they empty?

Here are details of the installation. The holes are 1/4" deep. I guess they are for mounting crossbars? I wish they had rubber plugs but maybe I can find some.

50218940987_03eb67a290_c.jpg

50218720201_58af12123a_c.jpg

50218940647_23a0f81805_c.jpg

I have some universal mount crossbars I used in my last car that I can mount on these rails when I need to so no need for Mazda's cross bars.

Back