OEM ALARM Questions..looking to upgrade

HI GUYS, i am looking to install an an aftermarket remote start or alarm remote start combo on my 2002 protege 5. I currently have the Code alarm factory alarm installed in the car and had a few questions I am hoping someone can answer for me!

1) IF i remove the oem alarm in the meantime, do I lose the keyless entry function?

2) Can i install a remote starter (not alarm) to work with the OEM alarm?>

3) If I installed an aftermarket alarm/remote start combo (Viper), should I remove the current alarm in the car?>

Any help would be appreciated....

I feel that my alarm isnt working properly and maybe in valet mode?> Any advice on how to get it out of valet mode?

HI GUYS, i am looking to install an an aftermarket remote start or alarm remote start combo on my 2002 protege 5. I currently have the Code alarm factory alarm installed in the car and had a few questions I am hoping someone can answer for me!

1) IF i remove the oem alarm in the meantime, do I lose the keyless entry function?

2) Can i install a remote starter (not alarm) to work with the OEM alarm?>

3) If I installed an aftermarket alarm/remote start combo (Viper), should I remove the current alarm in the car?>

Any help would be appreciated....

I feel that my alarm isnt working properly and maybe in valet mode?> Any advice on how to get it out of valet mode?

ok figured out my alarm was in valet mode. No one has any idea coments regarding installing a new alarm?

You'll want to most likely disable the stock keyless entry and alarm.

The aftermarket setup will have provisions for everything, best to let it handle it all.

You'll want to most likely disable the stock keyless entry and alarm.

The aftermarket setup will have provisions for everything, best to let it handle it all.

I have decided to keep the oem alarm and wanted to just add a remote start avital. Can someone confirm if this is possible or an issue? Thanks!

Aside from having to carry two key fobs, I imagine the OEM alarm will need to be disarmed before the remote start can function. If the ignition is switched on with the alarm armed, I'm sure it would go off or prevent the car from starting. Even then, the two may conflict in unforeseen ways.

Like I said, it's best to start with a clean slate (OEM stuff disabled) and let the aftermarket unit do everything. It is a little more complicated, but worth it in the end.

The oem alarm is PnP and unplugs out of the factory wiring harness except for a wire tapping parking lights, the hidden buypass and whatever wires you have going to the flashing LED. The keyless door entry is a seperate module and I have no experience messing with that but suspect it too should unplug from the oem wiring harness somewhere. Then go back with whatever aftermarket stuff.

Back