Obd2 not working after battery replacement

:
16 CX-5 KE, 18 KF
Hi all! My CX-5's Obd2 port is not responsive after recent battery change. I believe I must have blown then Obd2 fuse. Does anyone know what fuse or fuse number it is? Thanks!

I see no one has jumped in yet...I don't own a CX-5 but I did find this YouTube clip...Not sure if it helps though...

Did you find a solution and or the fuse / fuse number?

I saw this but all I know is that the obdii is a data port. I have never read it supplies DC, like usb. So I wonder if the data lines are fused. It would be unusual.

I have had experiences with the obdii not 'syncing' (?) or something. Sometimes I notice the Scangauge or Ultragauge I keep plugged into the obdii all the time acts a little strange. Sometimes it takes a while for it to turn off the display. Sometimes I have to unplug and plug it in again to 'sync'.

I hope this isn't something seriously wrong with the computer. That is what supplies the data.

But because this started with a battery replacement maybe it just needs some kind of 'cold boot' or restart.

The op doesn't mention if the car is operational but assuming it is the whole computer can't be bad. Hopefully the data line drivers aren't blown somehow. That also seems unlikely.

I saw this but all I know is that the obdii is a data port. I have never read it supplies DC, like usb. So I wonder if the data lines are fused. It would be unusual.

It absolutely DOES supply DC 12V power. That's how most simple OBD readers are powered. See pin 16:

b3kaj.png

@AaronYTW6715 how is your ODB2 port unresponsive [we are all guessing the device plugged in doesn't power on]? Have you tried more than one device on this port to ensure it is not device failure?

I've tried it with power on and off. My guess is it's blown a fuse somewhere, but I don't see the OBD2 port listed anywhere in the list of fuses documentation.

I've replaced countless batteries in Mazdas, I'd say over 300. I've never experienced something like that. You can try clearing the KAM (disconnect negative battery terminal and hold the brake pedal down for at least 30+ seconds) and reconnecting. Trying using your scan tool again. Make sure it's KOEO and it SHOULD work.
The OBD connector has power to it even with the ignition off, if this is what you are referring to.
The OBD connector does not have power with the ignition off.
I'm not aware of a fuse specific to the OBD. I can look into further tomorrow at work, hope this helps though!

I've replaced countless batteries in Mazdas, I'd say over 300. I've never experienced something like that. You can try clearing the KAM (disconnect negative battery terminal and hold the brake pedal down for at least 30+ seconds) and reconnecting. Trying using your scan tool again. Make sure it's KOEO and it SHOULD work.

I'm not aware of a fuse specific to the OBD. I can look into further tomorrow at work, hope this helps though!
If there is no power then why does my obd2 scan tool turn on when I plug it in without ever pushing the start button. It doesn't have batteries.

If there is no power then why does my obd2 scan tool turn on when I plug it in without ever pushing the start button. It doesn't have batteries.

Exactly what Jmaz said. There has to be power to the OBD connector. I have two OBD devices and they both power up as soon as they are plugged into the OBD connector while the car is turned off.

@thispart, you're mistaken.

Exactly what Jmaz said. There has to be power to the OBD connector. I have two OBD devices and they both power up as soon as they are plugged into the OBD connector while the car is turned off.

@thispart, you're mistaken.
For some reason my Scangauge ( which is plugged into the obdii port )lights up when I plug in a battery charger.

I can't find anywhere on the Internet or in this forum that shows where the OBD port fuse is located. The descriptions of the fuses in the engine compartment and and underneath the - the dash are so generic you can't see which one is associated with this OBD port. Why is it that nobody knows where this is?

Similar problem - not seen any definite search results with solutions for people with this issue - I replaced the battery on our 2018 CX-5 and used a Schumacher SEC-12V battery saver that plugs into the OBD2 port as I was afraid of losing a myriad of settings in the CMU, lights, windows, etc. - then later after the swap my wife noticed the CEL was on and I went to plug in both of my OBD2 scanners and neither powered up. I also noticed the auto up power windows weren't working, so the memory saver didn't work. All this leads me to believe a fuse might be blown, perhaps by my memory saver. At least I hope that's all it is. I've printed out the fuse diagram and I'm looking forward to a an hour of probing (once I confirm no power on the OBD2 port itself using a multimeter). I'll post with results, good or bad or null. This much I can tell you, it's not F54 Room fuse under the hood - nor I believe any of the underhood fuses - they all tested ok with a test light.

Last edited:
Back