Not as smooth as I thought

OP seems to have an odd grudge against Mazda dealers for some reason...
"Does a Mazda dealer know how to balance tires? Do not have a lot of faith in Mazda dealers."
"Just called Mazda dealer. Got service department voice mail. Sometimes I wonder about Mazda in Ohio."
Owning 2 Miata’s and a Cx-5 GTR ive got to know the local Mazda dealers quite well. Unfortunately the quality of service work they do is questionable at times.

CX-5 has never been for maximum ride comfort. Handling has been where it shines.

Exactly this. Spot on. Handling is spectacular for small crossover.
Kind of hot hatch sometimes.

Ride is rough especially on the oem 19" tires but handling is great. Add the hard seats + relatively short wheelbase and the roughness effect is noticeable by some and bad on certain road conditions.
One solution I have found is to have great/better 19" tires vs the stock Toyo.

Last edited:
As soon as I got the car, I went to an independent shop to get an alignment and wheel balance. The alignment was a bit off, and the wheel balance was way off. Now the car rides beautifully, absolutely no vibration at any speed.

I have done this with the last 4 cars I've had, and all have had their alignment off from factory.

As soon as I got the car, I went to an independent shop to get an alignment and wheel balance. The alignment was a bit off, and the wheel balance was way off. Now the car rides beautifully, absolutely no vibration at any speed.

I have done this with the last 4 cars I've had, and all have had their alignment off from factory.
Mazda has a 12k mile "adjustment warranty" that covers things like that. I'm not sure if would cover proactively checking alignment and tire balance without a specified issue being noticed first

Mazda has a 12k mile "adjustment warranty" that covers things like that. I'm not sure if would cover proactively checking alignment and tire balance without a specified issue being noticed first

Perhaps, but I wouldn’t trust the dealership to put the car on the alignment rack just because I asked them to. They’d get some guy to test drive it, waste my gas and time, then come back and say it’s normal. I find it easier to go to an independent shop I trust, and pay $150 for a proper alignment and balance. Do it once, do it right, no further alignment & balance issues.

Perhaps, but I wouldn’t trust the dealership to put the car on the alignment rack just because I asked them to. They’d get some guy to test drive it, waste my gas and time, then come back and say it’s normal. I find it easier to go to an independent shop I trust, and pay $150 for a proper alignment and balance. Do it once, do it right, no further alignment & balance issues.
Owning a 21 CX5 and 2 Miatas I agree. Just do a little research and find a reputable place.

"Sorry sir, our printer isn't working so we can't show you, but we assure you everything is within spec!"

Echoing others, if the vibration is felt on different highways, it could be a wheel balancing issue. I saw that you had an appt for wheel balancing yesterday. How did that go? Is the vibration still there?

Echoing others, if the vibration is felt on different highways, it could be a wheel balancing issue. I saw that you had an appt for wheel balancing yesterday. How did that go? Is the vibration still there?
Seems to be better. they said wheels were out. I need a few more miles. will report back thanks

It very well could be the trash A36's on it. Mine were horrible. Vibrated pretty badly after 50-60mph when cold.

I got the same reply some time ago :) balance ok and doesnt need road force balance. Eventually I got used to the tires until one day I would wake up and have enough :)

The stock Toyo is ok-ish but its a shame Mazda puts such cheap tire (they cost 139usd each) on a 38k car and at the same time puts better tires on Mazda6 for example.

If its the tires, I am sure you could be happier with Continental lx25 or Michelin ltx but that would cost you about 1k. Some people reported good feedback on the cheaper General Altimax.
Quite a few people have also changed their tires right after getting a new CX5 with 19" and are reporting very positive feedback aftet the change. Good luck.

Last edited:
Discount tire said a forced road balance wasn't necessary. The balance they performed seamed to help.
Not sure if a road force is always beneficial or not.. Will do some research. might just be stock tires, Discount tire claims a different tire would increase comfort level.

Discount tire said a forced road balance wasn't necessary. The balance they performed seamed to help.
Not sure if a road force is always beneficial or not.. Will do some research. might just be stock tires, Discount tire claims a different tire would increase comfort level.

They wouldn’t know if it’s necessary or not without checking.

The road force machine will help determine if a tire or wheel is out of round.

Don’t jump into the Generals too quickly. If you dig deep in the reviews, they also have balancing issues. My front right wheel has 16 weights on it (4oz) while the others have 4-6 weights. Seems excessive to me and I get some vibes. I’m also getting my struts/shocks looked at my first service so we will see. I find it’s also important to hit the sweet spot for PSI on some tires, otherwise plus or minus one and the ride changes dramatically.

They wouldn’t know if it’s necessary or not without checking.

The road force machine will help determine if a tire or wheel is out of round.
They did check. said wheels were out of balance. also said road force will not be needed. Im guessing my only option is to try different tires. I think the cx5 is more for handling than comfy freeway driving.

Last edited:
Back