Non-slip tape as sill protectors?

:
Soul Red Mazda CX5
Ok this may be a dumb question, but I have been searching for hours and hours looking for plain black rubber door sill protectors and not finding anything I like. Either its chrome, or has logos, or carbon fiber - none of which I want, as I am making everything on my CX5 black and red. Other ones I find are simply not long or wide enough to cover the area I'm scraping up from my high heels every day. I need something that will stand up to the constant abuse. Would non-slip grip tape work? I've even considered getting the peel/stick bumper guard and cutting it to fit as another option.

Anyone have any ideas?

Grip tape sound like a pretty good idea, especially if you get the stuff made for skateboards that has a peel of backing. That was you can make yourself a cardboard template and cut out a nice shape before applying.

Upvote 0
Ok this may be a dumb question, but I have been searching for hours and hours looking for plain black rubber door sill protectors and not finding anything I like. Either its chrome, or has logos, or carbon fiber - none of which I want, as I am making everything on my CX5 black and red. Other ones I find are simply not long or wide enough to cover the area I'm scraping up from my high heels every day. I need something that will stand up to the constant abuse. Would non-slip grip tape work? I've even considered getting the peel/stick bumper guard and cutting it to fit as another option.

Anyone have any ideas?
For our 2014 CX5 I went nuts and purchased $100 of Chinese made stainless steel sill protectors, inner and outer. The outer worked great, as advertised, although I added more 3M doubled sided foam tape from Home Depot, the strongest then available I think 20lbs per lineal inch.

The inners with complex curves would pop off over time requiring additional tape. I found that using a hair dryer to pre-warm the tape helped tremendously.

Regardless of the trouble with the inners, these sills were very helpful in protecting from scuffs and scratches over 7 years (2014 was bought in early 2013)

For my wife’s 2021, I went PPF for outer sills, for a cleaner look, and I have some stainless inner sills from eBay and hopes that my lessons from the 2014 can help. Hair dryer and build up of tape. The 2G CX5 have these ridges that may prove problematic

more later as these get installed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anyone have any ideas?
I think it would depend on the tape and exactly where and how to apply it.
Pics would help here.

Upvote 0
I would think that if you use something as rough textured as non slip tape, you are going to scrape up the finish on your shoes. Something thin and durable seems to be in order. And fairly easily replaced after a couple of years if it is showing wear. I would check with a local shop that applies PPF (paint protection film). It shouldn't be an expensive installation.
You drive with high heels on ? Have you considered a pair of slip on tennis shoes for driving and then put your heels on when you get to work ? Probably safer that way for you and your shoes.

Upvote 0

Anyone have any ideas?

Does it have to be black? Why not some clear 3M film with the peal and stick backing? Buy a roll of the stuff from Amazon and cut it to size.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Upvote 0

Anyone have any ideas?
For our 2014 CX5 I went nuts and purchased $100 of Chinese made stainless steel sill protectors, inner and outer. The outer worked great, as advertised, although I added more 3M doubled sided foam tape from Home Depot, the strongest then available I think 20lbs per lineal inch.

The inners with complex curves would pop off over time requiring additional tape. I found that using a hair dryer to warm the tape helped tremendously.

Regardless of the trouble with the inners, these stainless sill liners were very helpful in protecting from scuffs and scratches.

For my wife’s 2021, I went PPF for outer sills, for a cleaner look, and I have some stainless inner sills coming from eBay and hope that my lessons from the 2014 can help. Hair dryer and build up of additional tape. The 2G CX5 have these molded ridges on the inner vinyl sills, that may prove problematic.

More later...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Grip tape sound like a pretty good idea, especially if you get the stuff made for skateboards that has a peel of backing. That was you can make yourself a cardboard template and cut out a nice shape before applying.
That was kinda my thought. The sticky back tape that you'd use like on outdoor steps. Hmm

Upvote 0
I would think that if you use something as rough textured as non slip tape, you are going to scrape up the finish on your shoes. Something thin and durable seems to be in order. And fairly easily replaced after a couple of years if it is showing wear. I would check with a local shop that applies PPF (paint protection film). It shouldn't be an expensive installation.
You drive with high heels on ? Have you considered a pair of slip on tennis shoes for driving and then put your heels on when you get to work ? Probably safer that way for you and your shoes.
This is true. I've already done some damage to the paint so I'll probably touch it up first and then cover it with a protector. Also, indeed I do drive with heels on. Over the last 6 months or so I have actually started wearing slip ons until I get to my office, but alas, the damage has already been done. :(

Upvote 0
Either its chrome, or has logos, or carbon fiber - none of which I want, as I am making everything on my CX5 black and red.
Go with the CF and be done. No one else will ever see it and you'll only see it for 8 seconds when you get in or out.

Upvote 0
I am ok with use TW Ceramic spray on the Headlights. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
03CB544D-CD5D-4E6A-9C0E-E6F0D442D6CA.jpeg

Upvote 0
Back