Noise from headlight relay/motor? 2008 CX-9

:
Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
Problem on 2008 Mazda CX9, Grand Touring, but I suspect the setup may be the same on many Mazdas. I discovered a noise coming from a part attached to the headlight assembly, directly behind the Hi Beam bulb. It makes the noise all the time, whenever the headlights, lowball or high beam, are On. So it doesn't matter if the engine is Off, as long as the lights are still On, the noise is heard, but when the light go out, the noise stops.

This part is about 1 1/2 inches square with about a 1/4 inch horn style opening, as though to let in air. It has a three wire connector attached and when I try to remove this part from the headlight assembly by twisting it , I can see the headlight reflector move, as though it's attached. I don't want to twist it further or try to remove it- even though it seems it will- without knowing more about what it is and if it can be removed easily. This part is on both sides and the one attached to the passenger side headlight assembly, makes a very fast clicking or humming noise- like a small electric motor, where the fins are going bad, but maybe it's a relay thats just opening and closing fast, not sure. I seen the part comes with a whole headlight assembly, if you want to spend $800 to $1000, but I am hoping this can be replaced itself. But first I have to find out exactly what it is and what it's used for and if it can be replaced. Any ideas?

Does your vehicle have Bi-Xenon headlights? High beams generally utilize a servo shade of sorts that opens up wider for high beam exposing more of the bulb.

Does your vehicle have Bi-Xenon headlights? High beams generally utilize a servo shade of sorts that opens up wider for high beam exposing more of the bulb.

Not sure,,, the low beams are Xenon Fusion, and it looks like a separate bulb for Hi-beam.

@Weekender Did you ever figure out the problem? I have the same car make, model and year. It just started making this noise when headlights are on. Everyday something is breaking down but the car keeps running good!

Yes same sound coming from headlight assembly. Mazda service said the problem is the actuator and that part is no longer made for my 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring! I had to have entire headlight assembly replaced which cost me $1700. Hope this helps.

Sounds like the auto-height-adjuster. They are not really needed, so you can unplug it and manually adjust the headlights to the desired height.

😲😭 ok. Thanks much . Do you think it'll be ok if I have it running for a few more weeks? Cause I can't change it right away.
I drove around during day with headlights turned off because the sound was annoying. At night I had to use lights so no choice to deal with it. This went on for about a month until the sound got really loud. Friends and family started making fun of me so I caved in and got it fixed.
If you can find the actuator for your car make and model through 3rd party, you can have dealer replace it for much less. I think they quote me $350 labor. I would look around eBay or maybe even dealership might have it laying around.

Mazda makes good cars and they last but they won’t last forever

Good luck!

Just visited a Mechanic, he said it's the LED light that needs changing. Because the LED light is old it creates a lot of heat when it's on so the little fan inside is working twice as hard to keep it cool. So It's the fan inside the LED light for me thats making the loud noise.
Funny thing is I've never heard it before it's just recently since I've started hearing the sound. The sound is loud and annoying.
Gonna change the LED lights and see if that fixes it.

I began to have this problem, and disconected the power to the leveling motor. Went to the accesories shop near my home and they gave an estimation for $65.oo dollars for repairing the motor, I look for the motor at Ali Express, found the part, they charged about $30.00 for a pair, I installed the new one and worked perfectly with no noise.

Back