No sound from left speaker and volume controls nav not music in Carplay

So I haven’t been driving my 2019 Touring much in quarantine. Recently when I attach my phone, music only comes out of the right speaker and the volume knob only controls the navigation. Restarting the car can fix this issue, but is very annoying.

I understand that it is nav related, but I’m not using any nav voice directions at the time. I do like to drive with Waze on the screen for the map and to be notified of police and such, but this happens before I launch Waze.

My usual process is to plug in the phone, start the car, get some music going and bring Waze up on the screen. This has worked flawlessly since I bought the car last fall. Now I plug in the phone, start the car, start music and no sound comes out of the left speaker. Anyone have any ideas? When I go back to driving regularly this will drive me insane!

I purchased a 2020 model in February and it did not have the latest software installed. You could ask your dealer to update it. I did mine myself, there's a thread on the forum somewhere with instructions...not for the faint of heart but it worked for me.

Since your problem just started recently it could be something in the version of iOS on your phone. Maybe problem will go away with the next version. I use CarPlay (but not Waze) and haven't noticed this problem.

I just started having this problem and came here to see if anyone else was experiencing the same thing. CarPlay has been working fine for me since it first became available for the CX-5. I suspect this issue is related to iOS 13.4.1, which I just installed a few days ago.

How strange! I did also just do the upgrade to 13.4.1. I first noticed it on Mother’s Day which I believe was slightly before the upgrade. The volume was so loud and only coming out of one speaker, but I couldn’t adjust it. I had to turn the car off at a stop sign and restart it. At least I know that I’m not alone and that my car didn’t get possessed sitting un-driven for 2 months!

erase Waze. there's a well documented bug at the moment that locks into navigation volume mode where the left speaker is off and you can only control the navigation volume. nothing is wrong with your car or phone. download it later when they fix it.

Thanks! I’ll give that a try. Hopefully they fix it soon. I’ve become pretty dependent on Waze to notify me of police or accidents. Incidentally I’ve also noticed that Waze seems stuck in night mode and isn’t automatically adjusting like it used to. I wonder if this is also a bug.

Thanks! I’ll give that a try. Hopefully they fix it soon. I’ve become pretty dependent on Waze to notify me of police or accidents. Incidentally I’ve also noticed that Waze seems stuck in night mode and isn’t automatically adjusting like it used to. I wonder if this is also a bug.

yes. i miss the alerts also but i have a radar detector also so that helps a little. after i updated the app last week my problems started with the audio but after reading the waze forums and app reviews i figured it was the app and when i erased it and everything audio-wise is back to normal. using google or apple maps at the moment with no audio problems.

I have this problem too. I used to restart my car to fix it. I discovered that if you activate Siri via the steering wheel control after volume is switched to navigation, it “fixes” it. Sound will come out of the speakers normally and volume via the knob will return to normal.

I thought that was a feature of waze? When I start the app the vol knob controls the nav vol and music only comes out of the right speakers. Then when I drive music comes out of all speakers. Then when there are directions from the app they come from the left speakers and music continues uninterrupted from the right speakers. HA HA - I thought a bug was a feature.

My usual process is to plug in the phone, start the car, get some music going and bring Waze up on the screen. This has worked flawlessly since I bought the car last fall. Now I plug in the phone, start the car, start music and no sound comes out of the left speaker. Anyone have any ideas? When I go back to driving regularly this will drive me insane!

Exact same thing started to happen to my 2016 CX5 in the past month or so. I get no sound out of the left speaker and the volume control does nothing. I find disconnecting/reconnecting the iPhone fixes the problem. I also seem to recall switching between Carplay to radio and back also fixed it.

I can only assume this is due to some iPhone update because while the infotainment is occasionally buggy this is a brand new problem.

erase Waze. there's a well documented bug at the moment that locks into navigation volume mode where the left speaker is off and you can only control the navigation volume. nothing is wrong with your car or phone. download it later when they fix it.
I just got mine and noticed this a few days later. I’ll give it a try as well. Thanks Marn.

None of the solutions here or elsewhere worked for me. I had to reset the infotainment system to Factory defaults to get the volume to behave properly again.

My radio just started acting up. Music through apple car play is loud on the left side, volume knob function is wonky, mute won't work. Phone call worked just fine. Switched to FM source and only the right side will work. My iOS is 15.1.1. No software update has been done lately and had no issues up until today. Going to try a reset, but this is strange.

Back